Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    live2board            09-08-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
What's up everyone? Just thought I would revive this thread. I have been really busy with school and get a chance to ride about once a week. Checking to see how others are doing. If you haven't let others know about this thread. It's hard to get a hold of people by email.

Jeff- You are more than welcome to take this over and try to promote it more, I have the list of everyone and their phone numbers.
Old    bamaboarder            09-14-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
Rob, when is the water going to be down on mitchell? I may head up that way while there is still riding time left. Haven't been riding much lately and it really showed the last time out. The only thing I could land consistantly was a hs 180. I pretty much wiped out on everything else. Oh well summer break is only 9 months away. By the way, anyone seen the 2004 hyperlite boards? The premier 136 dna is pink! No way I'm riding a pink board.
Old    blind5            09-18-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
dude the first time i saw the pink premier, i thought it was all you. ha ha about the water, they will be letting it down on the 25 but you will be still be able to put your boat in the water at the public boat launch and mitchell is pleanty deep to still ride no need to worry about hitting anything
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-19-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
Brain, not sure what else we can do ............but I'll help out in whatever way I can.

The water has been down on Jordan for a week and a half. However, you can still ride it. We rode last Saturday for a full day. The water is still going to be down this weekend but it is still rideable. You have to be careful.....gotta take it slow around the points. This weekend, I'll probably be back on Jordan on Saturday after lunch. I'm working on landing the backroll. It was my goal for the year and now time is about to run out......so I've got to hurry!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-20-2003, 3:46 AM Reply   
I'm planning a spring break wakeboard trip from Chicago to maybe Lake Martin. Do any of you know anything about the condiditons of the lake in late March-early April? Is it boatable or will the water be too low? And, is it bearable with a wet suit or do you think we need to go further south - ie Lake Lanier or Orlando or New Orleans?
Old    live2board            09-20-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Lizrd - Depending on where you go on Lake Martin the water will be just fine as far as levels. We were riding in late March around here. It is cold, but once you get in you are fine. Rob can probably give you better info on the water conditions on Lake Mitchell, which is not far from Martin. Then again Orlando is always nicer
Old    bamaboarder            09-21-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Rob, appreciate the info. we may head up that way soon. Jeff, the last time I saw your backroll, it looked like you were getting close. I'm sure you can ride it out b4 the end of the summer. Where are you riding on Jordan? I didn't think you could ride while the water was down.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Brian. As long as the water is bearable we may make this trip a "go". Orlando may be nicer but it's another 8-10 hours minimum in the truck hauling a boat. I'd rather board than drive.

Rob-if you have any more info let me know.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
Jamey,

I rode the weekend before last(on Saturday) in Swayback. I've also been doing alot of work on our seawall since the water has been down. That's where I was on Saturday and I was planning on riding on Sunday but it ended up raining on us.

I'll probably be back up on Jordan this Sunday (going to the Auburn game on Saturday (hope they showup)) when the water is back up.
Old    blind5            09-23-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
Lizrd,
Are you guys planning on staying for a few days or just riding?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-25-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
Anyone want to meet this weekend? Probably going to be on Jordan on Sunday. Jamey, my kids still talk about that tube.........maybe if you're up there, we can hit you up for another ride.

(Message edited by jroyal on September 25, 2003)
Old    morribd            09-25-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
Has anyone ridden on Jordan since the water went down? I am planning on going either there or the river tomorrow, Friday. I prefer Jordan over the river so our boat doesn't look like crap when we take it out of the water.

WAR EAGLE - Hopefully the Auburn Tigers will show up and not some girls powder puff team.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-26-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
Last year, I went the weekend after the water was back up and you have to watch for stuff everywhere in the water. Be careful.......

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2003, 5:35 PM Reply   
Rob- We are planning on staying maybe a short week. I'm a school teacher so that's all I can manage to take off that time of year. I was looking on lakemartin.com and there are some vacation rentals by the week that include water access. I just don't want to drive down there and then have the water be too low or too frosty - I don't mind full wetsuits but we don't have a drysuit to use. (The rental agency of course knows nothing about water temps or conditions.) Ideal situation would be to launch the Moomba when we get there and board all week. From Chicago it's a solid day of driving but our season is lucky to start in May so the trip would be worth it.
Old    morribd            09-27-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Lizrd- I was looking at the water levels for lakemartin and if you go LATE March or early April you should be fine, just don't get too close to the shore. What condos were you looking at on Lake Martin? To be honest lake martin is going to look kinda weird with the water down and you have a better chance of hitting something that might not normally sit right below the water line. Of course there are other lakes in the area, such as Mitchell or Jordan, but I am not sure if they have places to rent. Hope this helps. Not being negative, but do not want you to come down and be dissapointed. Just telling you some things a realtor probably wouldn't tell you.

Old    blind5            10-01-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
Lizrd-the water temp will be a lot warmer than you are use to. probably as warm as your season gets all year. but brian is right about the water level. make sure that you check out Smith Lake, north of Birmingham. Smith Lake is the 2nd largest lake in Bama right behind Lake Martin. Smith Lake is much deeper than any other lake in Alabama, and is just as nice as Martin with just as clear, if not clearer water. it'll save you a few hours of driving also.
Old    bamaboarder            10-05-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Jeff,
We are out of school this week and are going to Panama City until Friday. We may go to the lake next Sunday. I will let you know.
Old    live2board            10-05-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
Went to lake jordan this past Friday afternoon. The water was back up and was PERFECT!! Not really cold, no wind. The funny thing was when we got to the boat ramp and there were a hundred fishing boats getting out of the water and I don't mean MasterCrafts they all kinda looked at us like we were crazy, or more like they were glad we didn't show up earlier to disturb them. O yeah, WAR EAGLE!
Old    blind5            10-06-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
I HATE FISHERMEN! big problems with them up on Mitchell!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Bassboats have taken over Jordan since the water has been down and back up. Use this rule:

1000 lbs of ballast = Unhappy fishermen.

We were up in Swayback yesterday afternoon and a waverunner with three young girls flew by us. They hit our wake and threw all 3 off. I thought their waverunner was going to crash into the bank. It was pretty funny.

Yea Brian, how about them Tigers? I was at the game.....incredible. Can believe we took our foot off of their neck though.......game should have been 35-7. A true test will be this weekend. Arkansas is definately a physical team and will run everthing up the gut.......The schedule only gets tougher.

Jamey, next weekend we'll probably be up there both days.........depending on the weather. Let me know your schedule.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-14-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
Well, I thought I would revive this before it was archieved. Water is beginning to get cold......hate to say it but I think I'm going to winterize the boat this weekend. What is everyone else's plans?
Old    jcjordan            10-14-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
i was in it yesterday in trunks without a problem. probably wait for a few weeks to winterize.
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-14-2003, 6:09 PM Reply   
Lake Martian is nice butit has huge no wake zones.
Anybody ever go over to Lake Guntersvile?
Old    live2board            10-14-2003, 8:52 PM Reply   
Lake Martin only has no wake zones around Marinas, and whenever residents put no wake bouys in front of their house because they live way back in a narrow slew. Martin rocks!! Yeah.
Old    blind5            10-14-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
winterize? what's that? you guys got to keep the stuff you learned this summer. just don't try anything new, stick with the old stuff. that is what i do.

it doesn't matter were you ride, it's all water.
Old    morribd            10-15-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
hey, it's not all water. Have you been to the Alabama river??? Your boat comes out looking like you went mud riding.
Old    blind5            10-17-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
personaly, i like my un-populated mud water.

can i get an amen?
Old    morribd            10-18-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
i like your un-populated mud water, i ride in that same water one water resivor down.....
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-22-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
I winterized..........not due to me being worried about the temparature, it was my boat driver that was getting cold. I've gotta get that heater installed!
Old    blind5            10-22-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
I can't believe that you guys are already winterizing your boats, but i guess that's your choice. it's only 80 degrees and clear blue skies. that's cool
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-22-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
10-4. I know, but it's because I travel with work. I'm afraid that if I'm out of town and the temperature drops, I'll be up the creek.

I was second guessing myself today at lunch........expecially when I went in to the Ski Club and spent my demo money that was about to expire. I got the '03 Belmont 136 Biolite.....now, I want to go out and ride it some!

Old    blind5            10-22-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
exactly, well did Tim give you a good deal? you will love that board, it's such a smooth board and still tracks really well. The new boards should be in any day.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yea, he hooked me up...........always does. I've ridden that board several times and really liked it. Had to cash my demo money in......it was expiring at Halloween. I went ahead and got the 03 because I got it at a good discount.

Rob, have you been riding that kicker?
Old    blind5            10-23-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
there is nothin wrong with getting an 03', it save a bunch of money

i still haven't put a surface on it yet. i'll probably pull it out of the water pretty soon and paint it, put some bad-a hyperlite grafics on it, then put the surface on it, pvc sheeting cost a lot. plus i don't want it getting all old in the water.
Old    bamaboarder            10-28-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
Anybody riding on Jordan this weekend? I'm finally getting the chance to get back out there on Saturday. Hopefully it won't be too cold. I'll take the wetsuit just in case. I've got to get in at least one more session this season.
Old    blind5            10-29-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
we hit up martin today in the lime green 04', great set, the sun was strong so we never got cold till it went down
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-30-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
Jamey, not going to be able to make it up there this weekend........have a good one.

Rob, so I guess Chad got his new ride......lime green.........did he add any extra weight?
Old    wakeboard_dad            10-30-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
Sorry to jump in here but being from Michigan I thought it was warm down there year round. I'm surprised you have to winterize your boats. I thought only those of us north of the Mason/Dixon line had to deal with that. Can you enlighten me?

I get real grumpy this time of year when i have to pull my boats and store them for 5 months.
Old    blind5            10-30-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
ya chad got his new ride, and you know us we got some weight.

dad, we don't winterize our boats the same way you guys do, all i do is take the plugs out when i'm not going to ride for a few days, my boat stays in the boat house all winter. we do get freezing tempatures, but most of the time it's only at night, so if i us my boat the warm water in the block will keep it from freezing. also another thing that helps me is keeping my boat a little in the water, since our water never really gets that cold
Old    blind5            10-31-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
i can't believe you guys arn't still riding it's about 80 outside right now and tomorrow is going to be the same way
Old    morribd            11-04-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
great weather, I hope some of you are getting some good sets in. The weather will not be like this much longer =(
Old    blind5            11-04-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
ya the high is like 60 fri. not good
Old    morribd            11-08-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
This coming Wednesday it is going to be in the lower 80's.....the warm weather seems to still stick around a little longer.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-17-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
Thought I would revive this. Sorry I've been out of touch. I've been out of town a lot for the last 4 weeks. Anyone still riding?
Old    blind5            11-19-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
ya man we still ride, and don't stop all winter. anyone going snowboarding this winter? besides you Brian, i know your goin
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Props to you who ride in the winter. I'm going snowboarding this winter. I started snowboarding last year and loved it. Where are you guys going?
Old    blind5            11-19-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
jeff i think that i'm to the Brekinridge area and somewere else also but im not sure yet. what about you. are you gona go?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
I went to Breckenridge last year. If you go there and stay at Beaver Run, ask for building 4. It's the closest to the slopes and has no flat areas to get on the Beaver Run super chair (no skating.) I will probably be going there again in January.

I may schedule a second trip (probably a driving trip (because of my daughter....we'll probably drive so she and a nanny can go.)) A friend of mine recommended Winterplace, VA. Not anything like outwest but they have a terrain park.
Old    blind5            11-20-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
i think that my dad and i are going to stay in that little town about 10 miles away, sorry can't remember the name, and ride at a different resort every day. we are planing on going in early Jan. also. then i'm also gona go somewere else as soon as school gets out.

i've never riden on the east coast before, but tell me how winterplace's park is.
Old    live2board            11-20-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I am ridden on the east coast, it has nothing on the West coast rid'n, but Sugar Beach is usually good and Massanutten (i think that is how you spell it). I am going to Beaver Creek as soon as i get done with my last final, driving to CO. Staying until the 22nd. I think our lift tickets our for Beaver Creek, Vail, and Breckenridge, so lots of fun. Rob you are still more than welcome to ride out w/ us and chill for the time. We are staying in a friend's house that sleeps 16 in beds, not too shabby. If i can get a wetsuit for x-mas, I'll most certainly continue to ride. Looking at getting a balance board, or just making one! =) Chad has the wood working skills, why not. Peace.....
Old    blind5            11-21-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
brian, i am goin somewere with jana when school gets out. then in jan. my dad and i are goin to the breckenridge area
Old    live2board            11-29-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
that stinks, but hey that's the way things go....
Old    morribd            12-15-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
what has been happening with everyone? Winterized yet? What is everyone doing for christmas? I am about done with finals, 3 left and then I am flying to Colorado to snowboard for 3 days....
Old    blind5            12-15-2003, 8:10 PM Reply   
bm i got your message, but i was eating so i didn't call ya back anyway you want to go skatin tomorrow?
Old    blind5            12-15-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
bm i got your message, but i was eating so i didn't call ya back anyway you want to go skatin tomorrow? i'll call ya
Old    bamaboarder            12-22-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
Happy Holidays to everyone! Anyone getting any new gear for Christmas? I think I'm going to get a Jet Pilot vest. Well anyway, I hope everyone has a great holiday season!
Old    bamaboarder            01-01-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
Anybody doing any riding? I may not be riding for a while. Long story short, skateboarding accident, knee injury, MRI next Thursday. I know, that's why old guys shouldn't skateboard. Oh well, prognosis is I will be back in 6-8 wks. Probably wouldn't ride before then anyway.
Old    blind5            01-09-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
i gonna go ahead and be strait with you guys. i've been lazy! no skateboarding, wakeboarding or anything. that's right plans fell through for snowboarding. last time i went wakeboarding was dec. 12-16 in o-town.
Old    morribd            01-10-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
dude, that sucks that you didn't get to go snowboarding, but it happens. I finally put those wheels you gave me for the skateboard on. It makes things a lot more fun. O yeah, I got hooked up on new overlays for my bindings, only going to cost $9.00 for shipping. I just have to put them on myself, darn.
Old    blind5            01-11-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
are you ready for school to start? me neither, i got stoped by a cop today for skateboarding on campus. he told me that if the chief saw me that he would write me a ticket for trespassing. i'm going to have to change that law some how, cause that is like my transportation. it's just like riding a bike.

somewere on the sga website you are suppose to be able to start a new club/organization. take a look around it for me and see if you can find out where to do that, i can't seem to find it.

i really want to get this stuff togather for O-Day which is coming up at the end of Jan.
Old    morribd            01-11-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
dude, that sucks, but maybe they would make an excpet for your longboard. but they are anal when it comes to skateboarding on campus. i'll give you a call sometime tomorrow, monday the 12th.
Old    morribd            01-11-2004, 11:28 PM Reply   
check out this website
http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/sga/organizations/index.html
Old    blind5            01-20-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
C.A.R. (Central Alabama Riders)

in case you guys haven't found out some of us wakeboarders at Auburn U. are founding a wakeboard club. maybe we will be able to get something togather for this summer with C.A.R.

i can't wait for it to get warm it has been so long since i have been riding
Old    morribd            01-20-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
Rob must have found a computer.