Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Is it me or do they all suck?

I purchased an O'neill, and an Evolution for my 5 month old daughter. She is about 15 pounds. The problem is that the chest area of the vest is so big and bulky that it presses into her face. She has no head and neck movement at all. It looks super uncomfortable, so I can't blame her for throwing a fit after about 1 minute. When it's 100 degrees out, she really hates it.

Any suggestions from the parents out there? Is there a vest that fits right?
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-24-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
the Liquid Force infant vests seem to fit my son better than the O'neill vest that he was wearing.

He hated the Oneill, but doesn't mind wearing the LF at all.
Old    wakelvr            07-24-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Infant vests do suck, I agree. Brady was so uncomfortable in his, we actually aren't able to take him out on the water for long periods because he throws a fit. He loves the boat, HATES his vest. We have the SAME vest as your little one. Brady is almost to the point where he can upgrade to one of those approved vests without that head restraint thing in the back. They are a little less bulky. I wish I knew of a better vest to recommend. I would love hear some advice as well as we are in the same boat;-)
Old    wakelvr            07-24-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
J-Rod, LOL, wait until your little one starts walking. The vest will be the least of your troubles (j/k). Brady won't sit still!!!!!
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-24-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
http://www.salusmarine.com/bijoux.html

Check this out- A local dealer friend of mine recommended this infant vest from Salus. I bought it for my bosses infant (7 months old) after a few weeknds of struggling with a couple others.

The little guy used it all weekend and was 100% more comfortable and way happier!

If you want you can try and get one from Ocean Sports here in Edmonton AB - 780-432-1904
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Awesome...I'll try on of those.

Is that your number or the shop ?

Thanks Marc
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-24-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
J-Rod- I think it was Stefani and I that talked about this a few weeks ago. There are swimsuits at wal-mart that are about $20, and USCGA. Here is a picture, but it was from my camera phone, so its not the best. They have boyish ones, and more girly ones. Here's the other link:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/339278.html?1151342680
Old    wakelvr            07-24-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Misty, didn't they start at 2T?
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-24-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
i think the smallest one said 2T, but i didnt look too closely. there might have been smaller ones.
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-24-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
J-rod let us know if the bijoux works... I have gone through 2 vests (o'neal and inversion) my daughter hated both... We went sailing on a hobie cat this weekend with her and she hated the vest but loved the speed... it was pretty funny, every time we slowed down she was crying and the faster we went the frown turn upside down.
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-24-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
The LF vest worked out greast for my kid
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-25-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
This one has been working out great for Maleah. She seems to like it... its an O'neill vest but I am not sure of the model.
Upload
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
For an infant I would go with the swimsuit with floaties built in. We've used it a couple of times back in the day, now my boys are 5 and 7.

I think they work well if you get a good one, but am not sure if they are legal for boat use. Good luck.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-25-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
My daughter loves the Star vest from Liquid Force. She is really happy and wears it without much of a fuss. The one above from Canada looks very interesting though and unlike anything I have seen.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
J-rod...
I have a 7 month old and we started taking her on the boat when she was 4 months I think. When we went to test drive the new boat, we took her along and the dealer had a neoprene one to use. It seemed bulky. She was ok till I gave the boat a lil gas then she would scream. my heart sank and I thought it was going to be a long summer of looking at the boat and not using it. Well after we got the boat home, and took her out again she did the same thing. then we laid her down on the walkthrough and things have been golden since. we ara using an o'brien vest.

We now have a portable changing table/crib with its own sunshade that we place in the walkthrough with some toys and she is good to go as long as she is not hungry or stinky, you would barely know she was there if mom and dad werent so busy checking on her!
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
oh we thought about getting a different vest but figure she is growing so fast that this one should be good next year or she is going to need a different one anyways!

Good luck with your future ripper!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
I know I don't need to tell anyone this, but please, please, please make sure the vest fits well and keep an eye on your kids anyways. We had an incident in Colorado a couple weeks ago where a 2 year old fell overboard somehow. He was wearing a vest but apparently it slipped off once he fell in the water. They found the vest, but not his body, and have now called off the search.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-26-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
My daughter is 14.5 months. She always hated the vests with the head thingy. Se I found one and actually cut the head thing off.

Cannot remember where we got it or what kind it is though.

She is golden now.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
Are any of those spandex body ones CGA? Just curious.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
The problem with cutting off the head float is it defeats the purpose. The head thingy is what float your childs head above the water.

I doubt it Matt.

Having a non approved vest is certain to piss off the sheriff. Safty is first, but satisfying the sheriff is important too.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
J-rod, have you checked out the Connelly infant neo vest? I sell alot of them and all my customers say they are great and their little ones dont mind them and seem to be cumfy.