Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (wakebuddy87)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
Which do you guys prefer hard tanks or ballast sacs (like supra). What are the advantages and disadvantages of boat?

Thanks
Chris
Old    forgotten_soul            10-29-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
it depends on what you want.give us examples
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-29-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
I prefer sacs. When hard tanks are used, some manufacturers put them below the floor where the stringer system should go. Again, SOME of these manufacturers are compromising the strength of their boat by doing this. These tanks are usually so small that most people end up adding additional bags in the lockers in addition to the hard tanks under the floor. Why mess with having to do this when with bags, you can just simply exhange the size of the bags to have more ballast.

With manufacturers that use tanks inside the ski locker (not under the floor), you are giving up storage space since the hard tanks are always there. When bags empty, you aren't giving up any storage space. Plus, not all people even use a ballast system in their boats. You can just take out your bags and not have to worry with hard tanks being stuck in your boat.

(Message edited by Jon A on October 29, 2006)
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
sacs for sure. Companies claim they are weighted at a certain weight lets say 800 llbs of ballast and then you put 800 lbs sacs in the boat instaed you will see a HUGE difference in wake size. the companies in my opinion lie
Old     (wakebuddy87)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Examples: Malibu Hard tank set up And Supras Sac Set up
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
As Jon said, sacs are nice when you want to upgrade. In my supra I just pulled the old bags out and put the new ones in, that simple.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-29-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
um do you know how nasty and mildewy a sac gets by seasons end? slimy! HArd tanks!!! more space for storage and I bet the small wake size from hard tanks is what is stopping you from landing your hs 360 or tantrum!

and if sacs are better than why does malibu offer the best stock wake on the market?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
I have a VLX and wonder if it really holds 1250lbs. It's not a real impressive wake unless I have a lot of people. It's nice don't get me wrong, but not what it could be.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
Tanks in the floor, like from the factory in my soon to be 2001 Toyota SX, plus sacks in the back lockers and under the seats up front. I look at it like that space was wasted anyway, why not put a tank there down low, below the waterline where the weight will make the boat handle better than having it sitting on the floor, above the COG.

So, my answer is BOTH. Plus, lead to even things out, and people.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
I like the no-fuss nature of hard tanks. flip the switch and don't think about it.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-30-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hard tanks give you a better idea of how much storage space you have, and you don't have to move stuff around when you fill up your ballast.

With that said, I think we're ripping out the hard tanks in our X1 and replacing them with sacs...
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-30-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Sacks. Took the tanks out of my 205V, I can put whatever size ballast I want in by changing the sacks out. The other real bonus is how much easier maintenance on the motor is with the extra room in the lockers. The stock tanks were never enough weight by themselves.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Gordon, you mentioned all the reasons I too went with sacs, quick connect sacs.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-31-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Sacs for sure....you can over fill them....if there rated for 500lbs.....put 600lbs in them....they can handle it....
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-31-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
i like the extra weight of sacs but really dig on the ballst gauges...

sounds like a stupid question - is there any way to get gauges with sacs besides a visual ?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
I vote sacs too. I replaced the hard tanks in the rear of my Avalanche with sacs. More storage when sacs are empty,much easier maintenance. The system is still flip a switch for empty and fill. Best ballast system I have every been around.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Has anyone taken the hard tanks out of an 06 X2? If so, was it difficult, and which sacs did you use to replace the hard tanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-01-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Josh, there was a huge post on here about adding ballast tot he 06 x2, my buddy was in the middle of it and ended up addign sacs on top of the tanks. REmoving the tanks seems like it would be a PIA. Make sure it's rigged to fill the tank first then the bag, and drain just the opposite.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Think about it this way. If your driving an SUV with all of the weight on the roof and not inside how is it going to handle? Terribly, its gonna be really tippy and feel like its going to want to tip over. Now if all the weight is put in the lowest point of the SUV such as inside and on the floor its gonna be alot better and handle more like the original unweighted vehicle. Personally I feel the same goes for wakeboard boats and having weight below the floor is the best option.

Between sacks and hard tanks i think it depends on what you like. I think hard tanks are much easier to work with because you always know how they fit and never have to worry about getting a puncture or being twisted up. With that said i prefer the majority of the weight to be hard tanks but also like have some moveable (lead or sacks) ballast for surfing.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-01-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Who the EFFF puts sacs on their tower!
Old    supsalt            11-01-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of splitting the difference between Lead and Sacs....any suggestions on where to buy weight other than a bunch of small weights from Dive Shops?