Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-09-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Long Story short im friggen blind without my contacs and i was wondering if any one here rides with em in? (i havent tried yet) or if there is any special type that any one wheres well they ride?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-09-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
I AM WITH YOU!

I wear contacts and I wear them while I ride so I can see. I must have lost 5 pairs (usually one at a time) last season. I ended up keeping a pair in the boat at all times just in case I needed a spare.

I have thought of wearing goggles or something, but I was told that if you take a hard spill, goggles could cut you. I don't know what to do about this except to keep buying contacts.

Old    byerly137pro            02-09-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
Just buy disposable contacts, there about $45 cdn for a box that has 30 pairs in it I think. Anyways they only last one or two days if you keep them in and if you lose them it doesn't matter because you have many more pairs still. And they're just as comfortable.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
I surf, swim, and board with my contacts in. I have even forgotten I was wearing them and opened my eyes in the water and still haven't lost a pair. Guess it has to do with the shape of your eyes.
Board More/Work Less
J$
Old    murrayair            02-09-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as John. I have been wakeboarding with my contacts since I started riding about 3 years ago. I've taken some pretty hard face plants and each time I think "Oh man, there go my contacts," and each time they are still in. Other than that, the only time I even remeber they are in is when I put them in each morning and take them out at night.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
LASIK EYE SURGERY...its worth every penny
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-09-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
so for you guys that wear em do you just make sure you close your eyes when you bail?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-09-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
What's fun is when they're dry, you get up, fix the shorts and start rubbing the eyes (gently) without ever having seen JACK. Wind on old contacts is never good.

I use the one-month Accuvues, and usually try to stretch maybe three months out of them so if one were to pop out in the water, it's no big deal.

Still a drag that you can't open eyes under water. Lasik for the people!

If you're real worried about it, do what we used to do back in the day - get some liquid in your eye, look straight forward, close your eye and then press firmly on your eyelid. This causes the lense to suck onto your eyeball. No chance of losing it there.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2005, 11:54 PM Reply   
Man oh man, I completely know what you guys are talking about. I wear glasses, and I'm blind as a bat with a blindfold on without my glasses. It's really terrible when I need to watch out for things in the water (logs, rocks etc), so i'm kind of taking my chances. I'm getting contacts before the start of the season so I don't have that problem anymore. Glad to know i'm not the only one who wakeboards with no glasses.
Old    murrayair            02-09-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
Usually they close by themselves from instinct. But, yeah, make sure you keep them closed while you're underwater. I am able to open my eyes underwater without them falling out whatsoever, but I usually don't, since one of my friends lost his when doing that and that has made me paranoid. Really the only time I have had problems is when there is lots of spray flying in my face. But that rarely happpens.
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-10-2005, 5:15 AM Reply   
I have never lost any, but they do get pushed to the side when there is spay flying in my face. I also close them when I fall.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-10-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
Wear your 1 month disposable contacts for three months then get corneal ulcers and you wont do that anymore.
LASIK = 20 minutes = no more contacts.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
I have been boarding since 1991 and I always were my contacts. I think I have lost maybe 3 in all those years.

I have thought about LASIK but the way I see it is: As soon as the Doc. doing the procedure isn't wearing glasses because he/she got LASIK then I will do it!!!

Later,
jjakober
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-10-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
I don't wear my glasses for any sports unless it's something extremely hand eye dependant. Play hockey without them, soccer, wakeboard, my eyes just aren't that bad.

Friend where's contacts riding and as Michael says he losses them one pair at a time. He's resorted to using his old pairs for wakeboarding, so instead of throwing them out after a month he keeps them just for wakeboarding.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-10-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have been wearing contacts while doing different sports for about 15 years. the only place I have ever lost a lens was on the soccer field. even quite a few "eye peeler" crashes on the water, and the worst thing that happened was having the lens slide up into the corner of my eye. found it a few minutes later. if I had the option, I would go Lasik in a heartbeat!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-10-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
I am legally blind without my contacts. I have been lucky and haven't lost any so far. I have taken a few hard face plants, and had them thrown up into my eyelid. I have to fish around for them for awhile, before resetting them. I would be scared to lose a contact, I don't think I could see the boat!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-10-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Alex is right get disposible contacts. What I have done is gotten two perscriptions. One for acuvue extended, night and days, and then I got one for focus dailies. Whenever I ride I toss in a pair of dailies that morning, and ride with them. YOu get 45 days worth in a box, for around $40 bucks depending on where you get them from . Its totally worth it. You get to throw them away so you dont get any grimmy build up on the lense. Remeber to bring an extra pair in case you loose one. SO of it is just adapting to having contacts in and getting used to getting splashed in the face and what not. You contacts roll all over in your eye, fold over, etc. You just have to get used to quick fixes. Hope that help.

andy
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-10-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
I have never lost a contact wakeboarding, surfing, swimming (including occasionally carefully opening eyes UW), etc.

I have even "pelicaned" on some falls. This is when eyelids are peeled apart by the water (like a pelican going in for the kill). The worst that has ever happened is that once I thought I had lost one, but it was sitting on my cheek as I bobbed in the water waiting to get picked up.

Are those of you losing them wearing hard or soft??

I would guess that soft stay in better (that's what I use).
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-10-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Bliar ~ great post. I'm in the prosses of getting contact right now and was wondering how they would do.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
I'm too cheap to get lasik, contact don't bother me too much. If I been drinking heavily the nite before there an issue the next day on the water , but if not they don;t bother me too much. I think i9t has alot to do w/ the shape of your eye, on how well they stick
Old    jetgofish            02-10-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
I've been wearing contacts for years and wakin with them all the time, I've only lost one contact ever and I've taken some pretty hard bails...I've never had a problem with them except for the occasional air bubble or wrinkle but other than that no troubles....
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-10-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
The dryer your eyes are the more likely your contacts will want to fall out on impact.
LASIK LASIK LASIK
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-10-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
i have never actually lost one either.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
I too have never lost a contact while wakeboarding. I have lost about 6 over the last year while surfing and one pair while swimming...all my fault for opening my eyes while diving under water.
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
I don't ever lose them, but they used to rip in my eye and hurt like a mo fo. So I stopped wearing them and it doesn't really seem to matter too much because your not looking at what your doing anyways, your looking at the coast line
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-13-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
I ride with contacts, and have never lost any despite many hard crashes over the years. Although I have never lost a contact, I have had them get lost up in my eye and had to take a minute to get them back down to the right place, haha. Its kinda interesting reading how some people have lost them.
Good point about keeping an extra pair in the glove box. I've been doing that, and thankfully have not had to use them... speaking of which, I should replace those with my most recent Rx.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-13-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
I wear contacts when I ride and haven't lost one yet.. but there is always a spare with me on the boat.. you never know.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
I've lost one - one time. I was practicing ts frontrolls on a wakeskate and over-rotated, completely washing my eyeballs. But even then, I still only lost 1.

Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-14-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
2 date, in 6 years i have lost 4 contacts, all were because of wicked front edge slams.
Old     (john_t)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-14-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
i have never lost a pair in over 4 years wakeboarding. I wear 1 month contacts and when one month is up i keep those in a seperate case and use them for boarding, never really for 3 months tho, they start to get pretty uncomfortable after about a two months, but by then youll be done with another pair anyways - works out nicely.
Old    sketcher            02-14-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
I've lost a couple in a year of riding. Faceplants can rip 'em out!! Always carry a spare set on the boat.
Old     (peacock)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
I have had the lasik done. Prior to surgery, I had 20/200 vision in one eye and 20/250 in the other. I was nearsighted. Lasik took about 8 minutes per eye and now I have 20/15 vision in both eyes. I will get to see when I wakeboard for the first time this spring. I think the lasik thing was the right thing for me, and I would recommend it to everyone.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Never lost a contact while boarding, but I did have Lasik done 6 months ago and it is great. I wore funny looking goggles for the summer to protect the investment but this summer i will be fine. Great to wake up and be able to see!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
For the most part my contacts stay in, except when I fall hard enough on my face to have the water rush under my eyelids and wash the contacts right out. I always keep spares and my glasses on the boat just in case. I've considered lasik, but I believe lasik is just an expensive temporary bandage, and glasses or more lasik will be needed after a few years again anyway.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-15-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
LASIK should be capitalized. It stands for Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis.

Contact lenses can be considered an expensive temporary bandage as well.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
She CAN spell Holy Crap.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-16-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
Hush up poopdick!
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
For those spouting LASIK, LASIK, LASIK, please know that not everyone can have it. I for one dearly wanted it but between being extremely nearsighted and my corneas not being thick enough, ruled out LASIK for me. Note, I could have had enough correction to about 20-150, but that would still require wearing glasses. Just not good enough to justify the cost. If it could have gotten me close to 20-20, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old    polskadan            03-14-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
hey wakeshoe...what was your prescription??? Mine is nearsighted at -4.00 and I was thinkin of lasik
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
My left contact is -9 and my right contact is -10. Blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts, but both correct to 20-15.
Old    polskadan            03-14-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
ahh ok, so if i'm -4.00 i should still be able to get lasik
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2005, 11:34 PM Reply   
WakeShoe, dude whats your glasses look like???

Xgirl, WTF, ARE YOU GETTING OFF TO PEOPLE GETTING lasik
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-16-2005, 5:42 AM Reply   
Geeeez Jason. No. I'm a LASIK Coordinator and I assist in the surgery.

Conventional LASIK can be done (using the VISX Star S4 laser) with up to -14.0 Diopters of nearsightedness with or without astigmatism up to 5.00 and up to +6.0 of farsightedness with or without astigmatism up to 5.0.
Custom LASIK up to -6.0 of nearsightedness with or without astigmatism up to 3.0 and up to +3.0 of farsightedness with or without astigmatism up to 2.0.

Alot of places do free LASIK consultations so that you can find out whether or not you are a good candidate.