Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
i thought about getting some leadheadz, but i found out i was gonna have to pay @ $500 for about 360lbs. i cant justify that price. can anyone hook me up with other alternatives?
oh, and no--i dont want anymore fat sacks.
thanks!!!
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-26-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
Interstate battery said I could buy a 5 gal bucket full of tire weights for $20. He thought it would weigh 60 lbs. I think it will be more.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
If you're prepared to melt it and form it yourself, you can get bulk lead at scrap metal yards.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-26-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
Try a shooting range where they will give them to you for free by the 55 gallon drum. Also most tire shops just want to get rid of the wheel weights for free. If they are trying to make a buck that would be a new one on me, as they just give them to the scrap metal guys.

Something that works real well is just to put them in a 4 in PVC pipe filled with some sand or other filler in between, and seal the ends with caps and glue.
Old    damnation            06-27-2003, 5:39 AM Reply   
Tractor weights are perfect, however they will cost you about $1.00 per pound (cheaper than LeadHedz). I couldn't find any used tractor weights no matter how hard I tried though.

Pete's idea seems the best to me. Used wheel balancing weights put into a sealed container (like the PVC). That is likely what I'll be doing.

I've used olympic plate weights in the past, but they seem to discolor the carpet and coating them with plastic is a pain.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-27-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
I found cheap used tractor weights in the Salinas Valley of Ca. An unbelievable #600 for $100.00. Six #100 pieces. I cleaned them with laquer thinner and painted the with rubber tool paint. Call around to the farm equipment guys in your area.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-27-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
Wes, most tire places or even service shops will give the weights away for free. They usually have to pay to dispose of it so you're doing them a favor.

Oh yeah, I filled a tupperware container (About the size of a shoebox with wheel weights and sand and it came out to be about 40 pounds. So, the five gallon bucket will definitely be more than that!

(Message edited by blabel on June 27, 2003)
Old    bsoto            06-27-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine went to a local outdoor store and bought some jugs that had screw on tops. He then went to a local shooting range and they gave him spent lead at no charge (he was helping them out by taking the lead). He was able to get 500 lbs. for the price of the jugs which totaled 15.00.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-27-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
Blabel, thanx. I will try that.

We just test rode our boat with the new locker sac. Very nice. Now for the lead in the bow. Then the back sacs this winter.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-30-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
we get lead weights from the tire shop for free. we make a form like this then paint them. We've put handles in them to, but if you make them the right size you don't need handles.

form
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-30-2003, 1:05 AM Reply   
But be careful not to get the lead to hot when you pour it in or the form will expand and you will have this!

blowout
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2003, 5:48 AM Reply   
Don’t use wood forms they can catch fire, burn, and leak. Either use a bread pan, cake pan, or if you want to make one, cut some channel iron to what ever length you want your weight to be and weld flat steal on the end. the channel iron is what I went with and I made some nice 40 lb blocks about 1.5" by 4" by 18" I have a long pictorial of how I made mine in the archives.
Old    mattameo            06-30-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
how do you melt the lead and in what? How hot do you have to get it?
Old    chrisn            06-30-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
word, tell us how.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
I've tried tire shops and scrap metal dealers in the Knoxville area, with no luck. We did hook up with a private indoor shooting range in Sevierville, and they'll give you all the spent bullets you want for about $2 or $3 per 50 pounds. I have a couple hundred pounds from there in my garage right now, so you could check it out if you want.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
I melt my lead in a kettle over the fire. Don't do it inside cause the fumes are toxic :-x Wood forms are fine to use. That's the only time i had that happen and it was because i got it alot hotter than it needed to be to melt. When you start melting it. You'll be able to tell how hot it needs to be. It's easy. If you use lead from tire shops you'll need to scoop out the metal pieces that don't melt. A big spagetti spoon works well.
BTW I used a couple different bread pans and i had to completly tear them apart to get them out. Maybe there's a secret to that i don't know.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
P.S. Don't melt to much lead at once or you won't be able to pick up the kettle to pour it out without spilling it. If you had a tripod with a swing arm that would be the cats meow.
Old    marlon            07-01-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Lead melts at 621.5 F. Check out this website to melt and pour lead. Pretty easy, but be careful...Lead is POISONOUS!!!!!!!

http://www.simplicityboats.com/leadpour.html

Good luck

Marlon
Old    chrisn            07-01-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
I would grease my cookie sheets and bread pans. ;)