Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-01-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I need some help. The belt driving my alternator keeps breaking and I cant figure out why. I have gone through three belts in the last 2 weeks. Everything appears to be inline but that is just from a visual inspection. The boat is a 97 Supra with a PCM 351 HO. Basically the belt that keeps breaking only goes over the two large pulleys in the center and then over to the alternator. I did notice some melted rubber on the top most pulley in the center (oil circulation pump?) but I am not sure what this means. The raw water pump belt goes over these same two pulleys and it has not had any problems. They are both V belts.
Old     (da_bomber)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Chris,
Check the belt tensioner my bet it is not adjusted properly, or it could be your pulley may be out of balance, my suggestion is to take it to your nearest boat shop and they should be able to correct it in a matter of a few seconds
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-01-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
since your other belt is not breaking I'm going to guess that your alternator shaft is bent or you are severely over tightening your belt
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-01-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think you might be right about the shaft being slightly bent. The last belt was a clean break but the whole belt felt like it was stiff and brittle. This makes me think it was stretching and contracting a lot which would be indicative of a bent shaft. Is that something that can be fixed or will I need a new/rebuilt alternator?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
How does your groove the belt sits in of look and feel on your alternator? For some reason, my cousin's old Sport Nautique had an alternator pulley that rusted frequently. He had to sand it down or it would eat alternator belts.

You can check for a bent alternator shaft using a dial indicator. I don't know what range would be considered OK though. You can get a new shaft but you need some special tools. By the time you get the shaft and tools, you might as well have someone rebuild it.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I worked in a shop that repairs alternators and starters through college and replaced repaired 100's of alternators. Never saw a bent rotor. The rotor shaft is very short, supported on both ends with bearings. No way to bend it in the boat. I saw numerous times where bearings fail and allow the rotor to rub inside the alternator against the stator causing the alternator to be hard to turn and destroy the rotor and stator.

Either alignment, rust, tight bearings, or over tight belt is causing the problem.

When you have the belts off does the alternator spin freely? The water circulation pump (top pulley)?

Are the grooves clean on all of the pullys?

(Message edited by mobv on August 04, 2008)