Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Hey co-injuried friends. I recently torn my rotator cuff and bicep off the bone, and just had surgery. For those who have been though similar, what are some realitic expectations for recovery?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Damn Buff, what were you doing man?

How's your baby?
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-28-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Wish I knew, been living with a torn cuff for about 10 yr.s now, Cortisone is your friend! How was the surgery? Did they give you a time line at all? I've been putting off surgery, afraid it'll be worse after than before.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-28-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
i tore mine twice...what you need to do is go online or ask a doctor about specific exercises. they're not hard at all(about 30 min a day). exercise that arm religiously because if you dont, you will have the recurring problem. anyways, if you do the exercises, your arm should be back to operating strength in 4-6 months. don't expect to get 100% strength back ever tho. refrain from rotating the arm in the 4-6 months or else you could be back to square one. all you should do is focus on the exercises!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-28-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Jason, hope you heal up fast!
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-28-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Jason, ouch! I've had problems with both of my shoulders for 15 years on and off. I'm 57 years old and it is all cumulative injury. I've never had surgery and have managed to rehab both either completely or within 20 to 30% of normal with physical therapy and rare steroid injections so far. Symptoms of partial tears or strains can last a year or more and like others have said, the exercise regimen is critical to recovery. Scar tissue can build up as well, and ice, local massage (to the point of pain) has been recommended by some to break up the adhesions.

Your injury sounds like a complete tear of one or more of the tendons in the cuff or their boney insertions. To me that sounds like a surgical repair for sure. Rehab will be slow, 6 months minimum and probably a year to get strong again. Lots of injury threads lately. Good luck with the recovery, at least its the end of the season.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yhea this is by far worse pain than every injury I have had combined. Including both knees and one ankle. Doctor says 6-12 months for full re-coup. I was hoping he was jsut being a doctor.

J - My son is awesome. Sleeps all night and eats like a champ. I swear that my injury was someone's way to slow me down and keep me at home with him this summer. I am really enjoying fatherhood, but miss the water badly.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-28-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly mine was roughly 6-8 weeks after I could start rehab. I tore both after a 50 mph cartwheel on the water. Had the left done and some bone spurs ground out and then I think it was a few weeks that I had to take it easy with the range of motion machine and water circulating pad for swelling. i was pretty aggressive with mine however so I think its up to the individual we all heal differently.

Good luck

P.S. my shoulder is way better then before with much more rotation.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
I tore my rotator cuff about 10 years ago. I never had surgery done on it. For a few years it still gave me problems and I still have to be a little careful with it. But I have exercised 3-4+ times a week for the last seven years and I have to heavily use it to notice that anything is different.

In a sense it is a blessing that it happened because I have to make sure I am working out correctly. This is better for my overall strength and physique plus lessens the chance I'll injure something else. Don't skimp on gettin a good physical therapist to show you good exercises and don't skimp on the gym.

Good luck in your recovery!
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-28-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I was boarding again in 4 months.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-28-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
J- Sorry to hear bro. During rehab I can help with jump rope and wheel barrel races! Get well soon.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Make like Billy.

Tuck that arm into your vest and learn one-armed inverts!

"I swear that my injury was someone's way to slow me down and keep me at home with him this summer."

I thought I was the only one that thought like that.
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-28-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Rehab, rehab, rehab. Ice, Ice, Ice. I've been fighting a messed up shoulder all summer. I finally decided to see a doctor who recommended rehab and in 3 weeks it has improved dramatically. Fortunately, it wasn't major tear requiring surgery. I stretch it, do my exercises and ice it every night. It still hurts when I do certain things, but it is way more flexible and stronger.

This getting old stuff sucks... we don't recover like the young guys.
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
tore mine a few years ago in wrestling, and it's still messed up!