Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
...but hes buying a mastercraft from this silver sports place or whatever...whats up with that, correct craft give him more money than mastercraft!..go to planet nautique to see write up...confused here
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-26-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=192

I guess CC is trying to get involved in MotorCross. Thought MC sponsered SUPERCROSS??

He just purchased a AWESOME looking X-2.

BAD MOVE BUBBA
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-26-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
Actually, Nautique has been into motocross for quite some time, sponsoring the Nationals at Lorretta Lynn's ranch for years. Here is the press release: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1030
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
s oagain why in the hell did he buy a mastercraft then. a few months ago...????
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-26-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
He can donate his X-2 to me!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-26-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
I don't know James personally, but I'm guessing he just went out and bought a boat because he wanted to wakeboard and ended up choosing a MasterCraft X-2. Then he ended up getting a sponsorship through Correct Craft and, obviously, switched boats at that point. I guess it would be like me buying a Liquid Force board and then getting a sponsorship from Hyperlite a week later. At that point, I would probably be switching boards.

I'm sure all the people that enjoy boat wars will somehow latch on to this as a reason why their particular boat brand is the best, but I'm guessing that it doesn't mean much for more mature boat owners that are secure in the product they own.

The real story here is the fact that this will be getting our sport a huge amount of exposure, which I think is pretty cool. And for those that lay awake at night worried about what other "core" sports think about wakeboarding, this should help them to sleep better.

Damn, there's a lot of sarcasm in that post!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-26-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Did correct craft not also sponsor RC for a while...I seem to remember him being part of the "family".
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-26-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Yes, here's a press release from last June that mentions he's on the team, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=749
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-26-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Make up your mind BUBBA! With all that attitude you would think someone knows what their doing.

Money talks bull#$*% walks I guess.

Ricky has been sponsored by CC for years. A friend of a friend in Fl bought one of his old boats a few years back.

If thats not CC slaping MC in the face I dont know what it is.

So I guess he's gonna give his MC back to the dealer? Where's the dealer with his post here now? It would be interesting to see what he has to say.

Can the guy even wakeboard? I guess you dont have to know how to wakeboard to get a free boat in 2007.

Has anyone even seen him on the water? I'll bet some money that is a big negative.

I was a big fan when he was coming out, now not so much.

Chad Reed should shoot for an MC sponsorship now huh?

(Message edited by slipknot on February 26, 2007)
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-26-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Wow Slipknot I'll give you a 07 Gekko for free and set you up with all the Jstar gear you want if you sign this contract.
Would you trade your watson and vlx? I sure as hell would, free boat no question.
I'm sure hee could lern to ride when he retires from mx at 25 or so.

Dave said it best
Hell got a sponser in a sport he doesn't compete in. I'm sure Ernhart jr could get any boat sponser just by going to any boat company

(Message edited by whitie on February 26, 2007)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-26-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
"Whitie"

Be sure to keep the Gecko pos. and the Jstar for that matter. Geckos are junk. So are jstars. The would be both on this thing called EBAY. In a pro event I saw one crack in half. Jstar wont be in business next year. Are they even in business this year? They would both be for sale anyway. I've earned my gear my own way. Free or not. And the watson was for free for your info. So were the bindings.

Nice profile pic by the way. And what is wakeculture.com? I tried to look it up and nothing came up.

And Ernhart jr. is spelled Earnhart Jr. I never said Jr. couldn't get a boat sponsor anyway, since I watched him crash and burn yesterday in person. And yes I am a redneck and proud of it. If it wasn't for his father he would be nothing. Since you had to bring that up. It was satisfying to see all that white smoke when he blew his motor 9 laps down and seeing all those Jr. fans when they towed his car into the pits yesterday.

You've got a pull anytime when you're in socal. Hit me up. Much respect for what your doing with your riding abilities. NO harm to you intended in the post, just blastin. Nice to see you postin. Seems like I offended you, was not meant that way at all. My apologies if you were offended. Sorry bro.

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Slipknot, "J-Stars are junk" Hmmm, I think Rusty did ok on his last year.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-26-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
I think he did ok as well. But I wouldn't buy one since your a fan maybe you would. I guess he's not on one this year is he? It's all the same company, Jstar, Jobe, LF, Hyperlite, etc. All owned by the same guy. Does it really matter? No.

They dont even make boards anymore. Do they Randy?

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Correction my friend, J-Star & Jobe are owned by Herb and Paul O'Brian, not Bob Archer
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-26-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
thanks for correcting me at least someone here knows the facts. Well where is the 2007 Jstar line then? Maybe I'll demo one. Are they all rolled up into the RONIX line?

Oh while I'm at it, the 06 Watson setup if for sale, 138 no scratces. and 9-10 bindings. I have another setup on the way.

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Slipknot, I will get back to you with a PM on that question. Hi-Jack over.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-26-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Sorry my point was that he didn't earn his new boat sponser Correctcraft is doing this for marketing and so be it that Bubba a top MX rider should benifet.
At this point in my life I would pimp a new boat from Richoldlonelyhousewives.com and LMAO everyday at the lake but my pimp game isn't that good :-(.

Wakeculture was/is a clothing company that hooked me up with shirts and other gear for awhile. Me being me I tend to stand out in a wakeboard crowd easy marketing I guess. A big name that is in any sport would offer the same good marketing.

Don't worry I am a boat whore so I will gladley hit you up the next time I hit SoCal
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-26-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
all the j star riders are using ronix boots. j star boots will be a repackaged ronix setup.

I think dave is on the money, with bubba buying a MC on his own accord then CC finding out that he was into the sport and giving him a sponsership deal
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
Whitie is the biggest boat whore in ATX, trust me I know lol, I'll be out in a few weeks bro, I'll give you a call
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-26-2007, 10:40 PM Reply   
I try
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
Seems fairly simple to me. He went out and purchased the Mastercraft.....then after being in it a few weeks, decided he wanted a real wake boat and thus went to Correct Craft. He begged them for what had to seem like an eternity, doing everything he could to try to make a deal. CC is probably giving him the standard 15% off the boat, 2-3 t-shirts a year and a bowl of soup..... Fact is, he is lucky to have such a quality boat company even put their name behind him.... Christ, we are not talking a Malibu sponsorship or the like....

Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-27-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
I love how a thread about a MX rider getting a sponsorship boat can turn into a Jstar bashing thread.

My day is complete
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Bubba bought the best, and was given the rest!!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
By Billy (woreout) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:37 am:

Bubba bought the best, and was given the rest!!!!

GOOD STUFF Billy.....Touché
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-27-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
J-Star crap......

I thought the TFD/3-D.S./Empire was an extremely good board that a ton of good riders still choose to ride. But I'm ignorant.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Kawasaki needs to start handing some KX450s out to Harf, Rusty and JD!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-27-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
All this says is that a Motocross rider bought a Mastercraft. I dont know how involved in wake he is but I doubt that he is any more knowledgable than most of the people on this board who own all kinds of different boats.

He bought a nice boat MC, then was sponsered and given a nice boat CC.

I am sure if Vagasil payed him enough he would get a purple dirtbike with their emblem on the side.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-27-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
I think that CC is trying to catch up with the others by signing big names, hence: Chris Parish, Emily Copeland, Now Bubba. WOW there pay roll is getting out of control..
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-27-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Jeff Weatherall is sponsored by Alpinestars and they hook him up with bikes in both the U.S. and down under! Plus, he can do a back flip on a bike, so he's a big fat stud!!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
wake Don't forget JD!!!! Power that is.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-27-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Billy... well we all know that. That is just a given ever year.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Everyone wonders why the prices of boats go up every year..this is one reason why!
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Boat bashing affects boat prices?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
More boat companies sponsoring more people, Means the more the have to charge per boat.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
Does this guy even know how to wakeboard?
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-27-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
slipknot
if you are going to correct someone try to learn how to spell it yourself first
it is earnhardt not earnhart
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
"More boat companies sponsoring more people, Means the more the have to charge per boat."

Exactly
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-27-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
So it's not possible that the signing of Bubba could produce enough additional sales of boats, thus producing extra profit, that CC could afford to pay Bubba his fee without raising the price they charge for each boat? Or is it impossible that they sell so many extra boats that they even have some extra money left over after paying Bubba, increasing both the number of units sold and the amount of money they make? There's no way that this deal is so lucrative for CC that they can actually afford to lower the price on their boats next year due to the increased efficiencies gained from the sale of additional units?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-27-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
what does the sponsorship even cost the boat companies? a free boat for lower tier riders/whatever? i'd say that's fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
You are correct Mr Williams, Weatherall is a stud.
Old     (machinegun_funk)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
Anytime someone outside of wakeboarding gets a boat sponsor deal this type of thread always happens. Dave hit it right on the head!! The bottom line for any boat dealer is to sell units. Exposer to potenial buyers is key to sell boats. Wakeboarder or not, James Stewart rides in front of 50 thousand people week in and week out. One supercross is way more than all wakeboarding events combined together as far as spectators go. Mx,wakboarding,bmx,skating ect is all still the same target market for boat buyers.So for any boat company to give James Stewart,Ricky Carmicheal,Travis Pastrana or any famous athlete a boat for that much media attention is a cheap way to hit there target market on a level they could not staying inside the wakeboarding industry. So don't get so jealous because you can do a "fashion air" and James stewart can't and he ends up with a brand new boat and you are still riding behind your bass boat
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
Bubba has one trick DOWN...The Marketing 180!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
Dave, to answer one of the questions, they could afford to pay Bubba, or any other sponsored rider, without raising the costs of their boats, but it wont happen. The boat manufacturers responsibility is to the shareholders, not customers. If anyone benefits from profit, its the stockholders/owners first, at the expense of the customers.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-28-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Although its a different product, this will make my point...Do you think it costs more to make a pair of nikes or a payless brand of tennis shoe? Probably not. Its the cost of marketing. The reason why there is an 80 dollar difference between the two shoe brands is because of the endorsements, sponsorships, and ammount of marketing that nike does.

This applies to all types of products, including boats.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Todd, the cost of marketing is not the reason there is an $80 difference in the cost of the shoes. We have a free market economy, products get exactly what someone is willing to pay for them. It is closer to say that marketing is a business expense to help keep profits or profit margins high, not the other way around.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I talked with someone close to Bubba yesterday and he told me CC was trying to give Bubba a boat when he bought his MC. Bubba just liked the X2 better, so much better he paid for it. That really got to CC. So instead of letting him use a boat so to speak for a year, now they give him a boat with title he can sell at the end of each year when he picks up his new boat. Oh, he still has his X2 by the way. He likes more HP in the X2, a smaller boat than the larger 211 with less HP.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Todd like Byrd said, all that high priced marketing does is give you a better image to ask more for $$ for your product. Consumers think if Michael Jordan wears NIKE then it must be a better product. Thus, they can ask 80 bucks more for it.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Billy-nice spin. Hope that makes ya'll fell better about owning your MCs. Not bashing everyone buys what they have for differant reasons. Just funny how some of the MC folks react.

Bubba sponsored/buys/gets an MC - MC is the best

Bubba sponsored by CC gets a boat - he sold out, CC is paying him off like they do everyone else, etc.

Hearsay - Bubba owns/buys a MC with his own money, keeps it, and gets a CC because he accepts a sponsorship.

Let me get some more popcorn. This is getting good.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
notidad, I'm sure your close with Bubba being from Washington and all. I never said Bubba sold out nor did I say MC was the best. I think MC and CC are both great boats, the best actually.
I have known Bubba since he was 4, his dad and I are friends. I also know the CC and MC dealer here very well, so your hearsay comment is worthless.
By the way notidad, do you really think Tiger Woods drives a Buick Rendezvous? He has one in his driveway. Or do you think he drives something different.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Billy-Don't know if Tiger has a Buick in his garage or not (I haven't known him since I was 4), but he could. Fact is, we don't know.

Don't know Bubba and never claimed to, so again I have no idea what he has and don't care.

This was about the 'spinning' MC owners put on the situation. Not what Bubba has or why. Good for him. He and Tiger deserve everything they have. They worked hard for it. If they want to buy a boat and get another from a sponsorship deal, I don't care. Hell if I had the money I'd have 2 or three differant boats for specific things I like to do.

No worries. I never said YOU said anything in my post. In fact I didn't even comment to your direct statements. Just found ALL the comments made here and in the first Bubba get a MC thread amussing. It's no secret you like MCs and dislike CC (based on your other posts). Your post here confirms it (Oh, he still has his X2 by the way. He likes more HP in the X2, a smaller boat than the larger 211 with less HP.). I have a sufficient amount of popcorn now.

continue .................
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
The HP statement is fact not opinion. I do like CC's just dislike some of the people on the factory level (a lot of hipicrits). If I had my choice, currently I would choose MC, like I have in my X2. I have owned a new CC 196 as well as a few other CC's and MC's also.
You are right about the whole spinning thing though. I think everyone on this site is guilty of sticking up for their "Brand" of boat.
BTW notidad, nice profile pics of the family.
I too enjoy getting outdoors with my family as well. How old are your kids?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
My point is that sponsoring an athlete does not necessarily increase the price of a boat. Depending on how the deal is structured, how successful it is in the marketplace and the company's goals, it could increase the price, leave it the same or even lower it. Nobody here knows any of those three variables, so to state that the signing of Bubba (or any athlete) will increase the price the boats is a guess based on answers you do not have.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Billy-I'm 11 (the oldest child), the younger one is/was 7 yesterday and a skier, so far. He hasn't been tainted yet.

Definitely fun seeing them smiling and learning something new. Looks like you have all the toys.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-28-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Todd, Consumer reports and Primetime as well did a report on the shoes that were made by Payless, Nike, Walmart and others. The difference in the quality of shoe was unsurpassed in the Nike shoe. The quality and the longevity was not even comparable from the lower cost shoes and the Nike. Sorry to disagree, but that is just what I saw in the case study.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-28-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Good point Dave,

I hadn't thought of it like that.

Another question would be whether boat companies work at their max production.

Lets say CC makes 2000 boats a year and now all of the sudden they have an increased demand for their boats due to sponsorships etc. Do they then build more boats to meet the demand, or do they simply raise the price and eliminate some of their buyers to decrease the demand and keep their production capacity at 2000 to maximize profits?

I'm not trying to imply anything, just thinking out loud and wondering what others think.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-28-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Robyn,
not to discount your opinion, but you would be a little biased nowadays towards Nike, right? but that is a good thing!
I don't see how giving a boat to a MX rider is going to cause their prices to go up. if anything, it causes more people to discuss their product. that in turn would eventually lead to more people buying their product. either way, he is one lucky SOB to have two boats like that.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
That's a very valid point. When a company has maxed out capacity they have some decisions to make. They can build a new plant or expand their current operations to increase supply, they can reduce advertising/promotion to decrease demand or they can raise prices to decrease demand.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
notidad your 11? I thought you were the Dad. You guys start young in Wa. LOL
I just put the toys on the beach to make me look good. They are not real just cardboard cutouts.
David, CC built a bigger factory but so far has yet to produce many more boats. Maybe they are still getting the bugs out of the new system.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I don't care how many they produce. I have mine.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-28-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Yea, Thomas,you are right, I am a fan of Nike for sure. So that made the results even MORE interesting!!

We are out in Orlando right now at Otown and were discussing this thread. The only thing that I picture is a huge supercross with all the people that attend. And the top riders boat being on display. Seems like a great way to promo to me.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
43 going on 11.

carboard cutouts

All my windows are covered with pictures of beaches so I don't get depressed this time of year and go suicidal.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-28-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Mastercraft is the only boat company that can display there boats at a supercross race, they have been on board with supercross for years and pay big money to have there boats track side and in the pits.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-28-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Jeff is right...the MC company has sole rights for display of the merchandise at AMA events. I wonder what that means for the Daytona race which is not an AMA race. Also, the best way to infiltrate might be to get a nicely placed sponsor sticker on the racer or his bike...especially if he is on top of the podium most weeks.
Old     (lolwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-28-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Bubba bought a boat... AWESOME a MASTERCRAFT!
Maybe he had a deal with the dealer to help promote the product. Maybe he got a discount.
Now he is sponserd by CC . If he did get a discount and in turn he was asked to help promote that dealer now he switches that sorta sucks, he should be held accountable

The press realease didnt say they GAVE him a boat. If he is like any other sponsered skier, he uses the boat then turms it back in. Zane, Parks, and other skiers don't get to keep there boats. I am sure on the skiing side that Mapple and Parrish don't keep there boats. They are paid on performance. Let's not jump to conclusions on what Bubba is getting. CC is just using his name to promote. Again I did't read anywhere in the release where they gave him a boat. Please point it out if I am wrong.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
Not to revive it, but input costs like Raw Materials, production costs, overhead and labor expenses are the primary reasons for the cost of our numerous purchases. Marketing is a small piece of the puzzle on the grand scheme of things. With that said...I wonder if the price of OIL has risen in the last 2 years...huh? Perhaps the use of petroleum in just about all areas of the boat could be the culprit...didn't alluminum go up as well. I could be wrong though....