Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-09-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Anyone know of a good place online to find a Thru-Hull Brass Pickup grate for an automatic ballast system? I looked at West marine at this device:

pic

but I'm a little concerned about it. If I face it forward it will fill my system really well I'm sure because it will force water into the sytem while I drive and fill at the same time. However will it drain while I'm driving? The inverse is also true. if I face it to the rear, I probably can't fill while I drive because the water will not get forced up the grate. However, it will probably empty really well.

Any suggestions from those who have gone before?
Old    zboomer            06-09-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
My SSV has an intake similar to this for the stock ballast system, and it faces forward. However, it discharges the tanks through fittings in the side of the boat, above the water line. Are you going to have the same pump filling, and emptying the tanks?
Old    ag4ever            06-10-2004, 6:49 AM Reply   
My belly tank in my SAN has a grate like that facing the rear. It still fills up while driving and not using the pump.
Old    whitechocolate            06-10-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
The fitting on my Air face forward. Ill go take a photo. Hold on
Old    whitechocolate            06-10-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
John: No I dont think it will drain when your driving. Although it will fill. if you want it to. Add a sea cock to open and close your tank's The water will go threw the fill gate and drop into the the balast tank threw a fitting on top of the tank/bag gravity will stop it from going back out. the drain for your tank should be on the lower side of your tank
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-10-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Grant:

Is that facing the bow or the stern? Can't tell from your pics. I don't have tanks just bags, and yes, I'm using a reverable pump so the fill and empty are going to use the same port. I'm thinking rear facing might be best. It will certainly fill when we're at the launch waiting for the driver and while going through the 5mph area to the lake. It might even fill at low speeds (15 to 20) and again while we wait for the first boarder to get ready. Draining will obviously not be a problem.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
John,
I have a system that uses a fitting just like that. It is facing forward. I use Jabsco reversable pumps. I have a 1 1/2" thru the hull, and it feeds two pumps. One for the front, and one for the back. It takes less than 10 minutes to fill( sitting or traveling ) it takes the same to empty while sitting or idleing. It takes 11 minutes to drain while up on a plain.
If I had it to do over, I would get a diffenet fitting. one like this.

image/bmp
thru hull.jpg (31.3 k)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-10-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
Mike:

Thanks for the info. I saw that, but I was wondering if it would get clogged with debris. I also don't think it would fill on plane cause the water would just be passing the hole too quickly.

I'm convinced to go with the scoop, I just don't know which direction I should mount it. The other option is to have the scoop for filling and a valve to redirect the water to a side mounted bilge port to drain or back through the engine. Of course that means having to flip the valve every time and finding a convienent place to put the valve.

Maybe I'll mount it forward to fill fast and it can drain while we wait to trailer the boat and continue to drain in the parking lot while we wipe the boat down.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
I dont think it would get clogged. the opening is not that big.They do have flat screens at west marine you can put over it. Water should flow into it fine. the only way it would not, is if there was somthing in front of it causeing air cavitation. With the type of scoop you pictured, there was topic that when running forward, and emptying you might be putting a strain on the pump motor. I dont know about this. I just know that mine makes a (1) minute differance, and it is probably becasue it is fighting the water being forced into the scoop.
You can use check valves, and fill thru hull, and drain from a side hole.It would take somethinking to design. That way you would not need to turn valves.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-10-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
The Simer's a reversible, flexible impeller pump, right? Pressure on its input shouldn't help that much with fill times.

However, if you used the grated through-hull scoop facing forward and Rule 1100 aereator pumps...the extra pressure would significantly increase the flow rate through the Rules. But then you'll HAVE to use a ball valve after filling and will have to have a separate exhaust pump.

Them are good pumps and move a lot of water even without the help from a scoop fitting.