Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    blink_kid            05-07-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
I recently purchased a jet boat 200 hp and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the size wake they kick up or if they are atleast big enough to do an inverted tricks
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
I can't imagine it would throw a wake big enough.

SFH
Old    blink_kid            05-07-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
damn
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2004, 11:45 PM Reply   
Um, I guess your looking for an answer??? You can get a "wake" out of a jet boat. The biggest problem you will run into is speed control. Jet boats are great for goN fast but suck for holding any certain speed. The problem is the jet of water has a lot less direct water push/pull like a prop does(its called slip in a porp, I don't know what it is called with a jet). Anyways, assuming you can put up with a 2-3 mile an hour sway in speed now you are up against a very fast spreading wake. With weight you should be able to put out a decent sized wake, but it will V out from the back of your boat quickly(because of the hull shape on jet boats). This means you will have to ride at very short line lengths(possibly in the 50s). This isnt the end of the world, if you like your jet boat and are willing to take the wake short comings you'll be happy. Learn the wake and get good. You can do inverts in the flats off no wake at all, if your good. Play around with your weight placement and driving speeds until it seems right. I would say to bum a ride on a comp boat to see the difference sometime though. It will "BLOW YOUR FREAKN MIND!!"

Hope that helps...
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
last summer hi rode behind a Sea-doo Sportster 4tec, 175hp and it was dreadfull, not enough power, when you carv outside the boat will slow down so you loose your approach, and the wake is smaller than a wake behind a 9.9 motor !!!
Old    blink_kid            05-17-2004, 4:55 AM Reply   
Thanks I'll try to get it figured out then and there is this hydraulic lift thing you canput in the back I saw that makes it bigger thanks
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-10-2004, 1:53 AM Reply   
A wedge (the drop down fin which pulls the back of the boat down in the water) or a wake plate (which extends your hull at different angles and allows you to tweek your wake) WILL NOT HELP A JET BOAT...the wedge is not an option on a jet boat as it can not be mounted on a jet boats transom and the wake plate will only serve to lift the transom even further thus killing you wake even further.
Old    zboomer            06-10-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
I used to own a full-sized big-block Chevy powered jet boat, "back in the day," and I can't imagine wakeboarding behind it. Holding any speed under 30 (with any ballast) will be next to impossible, and they make almost no wake.

I used to pull slalom skiers, and the way it pulls up a skier was odd. It's like no pull at first, then it pulls your arms off as the thing starts "gripping" the water, for lack of a better term.

Plus, in order to get away from the jet wash you need a long rope, which again is counterproductive for wakeboarding (smaller, wider wake.)

I think a jet boat is about the poorest choice I can think of for wakeboarding. Maybe the new, smaller jets (Sea Doos, Yamaha's, etc.) are better, but mine would have sucked!
Old    ilovetrains            06-10-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
um - I used to ski behind a SeaRaider (jetboat made by Sea Ray, small, like 15 ft with about 110 hp Merc jet engine) and I can uniformly say it would do at all for wakeboarding.

No power, no wake and planes at like 30.