Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-14-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
I saw a similar post on here last week but i have to bring this up again. So i've been working on my technique and edging alot the last couple times i've gone out, and i've noticed ive been getting alot of stretch out of the rope with pulling hard against the boat. Of course its because we are using a cheap nylon braid rope and handle combo. Now im wondering how much would a more expensive rope help me? I know 95% of wakeboarding is technique but it almost feels like im losing speed because when i edge the rope is stretching. Am i right? Im trying to get my dad to go half in with me on a nice Proline handle/rope combo. So any convincing evidence would be awesome. Thanks.
Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Because your rope is stretching your not able to properly "Load" the line, thus losing speed on your edge.... Shortly after I started riding again last year, I made the jump to to a non-stretch rope (Accurate Jacket line) and it made a world of difference. No more give and great acceleration.

Hopefully others will chime in on the subject... Just my two cents...
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I have never ridden with anything but a non-stretch line
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
I had a hard time going from a stretch to a non-stretch.It felt like I was losing all my pop and speed since you can get the rope to stretch out right before you leave the wake and once you do it rips you up the wake but the con to that is it wants to pull you over.For me it was hard a transition but after a few dozen pulls you get used to it and the pro to it is,you don't get pulled over so easy.

I believe a non-stretch line is the most important equipment for wake boarding.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-15-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
second that big ed.makes a world of difference
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-15-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Stretch ropes are dangerous. A long time ago, I fell on my heels and tried to hang on and shot the rope into the boat and it hit my 6 year old cousin in the face and split his forehead. That was the last time I rode a stretch rope.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-15-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yeah, last year my buddy faceplanted while i was filming and he tried to hold on and it shot the rope back into the boat and i caught the handle with my ninja reflexes. Anyone want to recommend an affordable non stretch rope handle combo? Im willing to shell out about 120 bucks.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/pro_line_lg_sk_wake_combo_blk_1_07

There's your combo with an excellent handle.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
You can get a comparable leather grip handle and rope combo on www.bulletlines.com online store for less. Actually the Bullet Lines combo is better: it comes with the 6" wrap grip handle and a core line for $99.99. You wont be able to bet that deal anywhere.

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
You can call Wiley's in Seattle at 206-762-1300 as well, they sometimes have the same deals for about $80.00, although it may be last years color.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-15-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I just found out my dad can get nylon heat wrapped cable at his work. YES! Thanks everyone for your input. Happy riding.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Doosten,

Nylon is not a non-stretch rope; it is a rope that has a high tensile strength, however, Nylon is known for its stretch and rebound memory. Therefore Nylon is great for applications that require a rope to absorbe heavy weight without breaking.

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-15-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
im not talking about the compound of the rope, its actually atf steel or aluminum cable, heat wrapped with nylon.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
that will be super hard to ride with..... talk about sinking ropes
Old     (wake175m5)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-15-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
doosten i have thousands of feet of dyneema weave and i have been riding with it for a couple years the only problem is it tangles a bit. i was trying to figure out how to coat it and it sounds like youv got the answer, so if your interested in making a trade id love to do it. let me know.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-15-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Caleb, my dad is totally McGuyver status and is going to rig some 3" length foam/neoprene rings onto it so it will float. Beecher, i'll see if he can snag some extra. 60 ft with three 5 ft sections sound good? I'll see what he can do.
Old     (wake175m5)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-15-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
yea that would be great, just one piece thats 75 feet would be all i need i usually just make the ropes to the length i want them without take offs. let me know what kinda dyneema you want and if you want a couple thats fine a have a couple diff sizes and colors so let me know. thanks again