Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    skukes            06-16-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Any problems with using a mastercraft X2 or similar in the Salt Water?
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
These two threads should shed a ton of light on the subject for you.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/229252.html?1116609448
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/217041.html?1111012699
Old    skukes            06-17-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
There is quite a long list of things you have to do if your running your boat in salt water. Is there anyone out there that sells a boat or you can send your boat to to set it up the best way possible for salt water?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-17-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
When you buy your boat,you can get the salt water edition and it comes already set-up for that specific application.
Old    skukes            06-17-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
do all the manufacturers have an option like that?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-17-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Mastercraft is the only one I am aware of in the ski/wakeboard catergory
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
correct craft makes closed cooling systems for their engines too. not sure if MC is an onboard cooling system or what...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-17-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
If you are considering a once in a rare occasion to drop the boat in salt water then I would say go for it and don't worry.

If you are going to drop it in salt water once a month and the rest of the time in fresh then I would say no problem, but you should rinse everything (including the trailer) with fresh water as soon as possible after hauling the boat out.

If salt water is going to be where you operate the boat then you should get a fresh water cooling system. Ideally, you buy the boat that way (I know it is an option with Correct Craft, and I would assume any manufacturer could provide it) but you can add it later.

Basically, fresh water cooling uses a heat exchanger, which is sort of like a car's radiator. Water from the lake/ocean is pumped up to cool the heat exchanger, and then is dumped into the exhaust to cool it. The water that ciculates through the engine is cooled by the heat exchanger and thus is a closed system.

A "budget" system just has the engine cooling go through the heat exchanger. A more delux system also cools the exhaust manifolds with the closed system and the only part of the engine that salt water touches is the exhaust elbow where the water is dumped in.

If you already had a boat and were to add fresh water cooling I would go ahead and run the manifolds you have. Expect them to rust out in a year or two and then replace them with ones that you can isolate the main mainfold cooling from the outlet.

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Rod are wakeboard boat exhaust that sensitive to salt, my i/o exhaust has over 600 hours/4 years in salt/brackish water. Ill soon be pulling the elbows to inspect though. I run salt away through after every run and rinse trailer, outdrive also with it. If they are that sensitive ill need to a friend know to pull his supra exhaust and inspect.