Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    crollg            03-11-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Anyone have any opinions on the local central coast of CA dealers. I am looking at Mastercraft (Mid State Marine), Tige (VS Marine), MB Sport and Sanger (Mission RV and Marine) and Malibu (Tillys Marine). Quality of dealer and service will play a big part of the boat I ultimately choose.

Let er rip on these guys so I can make an informed decision.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
Tillys Marine is great. Talk to Brett Tilly and he will hook you up.
Old    gambo2166            03-11-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Hey George I live in SM to maybe we can get together for the wakeboarding. BTW I work at the Bike Barn in SM if you ever need work on your bike..
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Holy crap LOCALS!!!

Ok here we go READY!

I have dealt with ALL of these guys and here is my opinion!(and we all know opinions are like and we all have them)

Tillys Marine is AWESOME! Bruce and Brett have a great thing going. I have been to there customer gatherings and they have been Great to me! THe have events all year long at various places. There SAN ANTONIO camp out was too much fun and there Xmas party was a blast! As far as after sale work they are top notch! My Close friend bought a VLX from them and it had some NEW BOAT bugs and they got him right in a took care of it ASAP. They are good hearted people who really love boating and the people that are in it. (Bruce if you read this I have my Sanger stickers ready for this years camp out!)

VS MARINE Love them! Chris, Mark and Kent are great to work with. I have bought a ton of stuff from them and they really take care of their customers. I have had some warranty Board issues and Mark took care of it instantly and got it resolved throgh Hyperlite, with NO waiting on my part. My Friend bought a Calabria from them and he said their Service was Top notch. There Shop appearance is ALWAYS Clean, neat and orginized! They Just had a Welcome Video Premier and brought in 2 of the top rider Parks B. and Chad Sharpe! That night was a blast. They also had a Xmas party for their customers but I wasnt able top attend.

Mid State Marine- Joe and his Twin Brother, I have limited expeirence with this shop but have been there whit friends of theirs and have "heard" about them. I also have a friend who has his boat up there right now getting a tower put on. I have heard good things and was impressed the first time in there shop.

Mission Marine_- I Am a Sanger guy and did go down and meet the NEW Dealer in town;ADAM. Him I wasnt impressed with. Me and my Bud wanted to stop in and meet them and check out there products and wanted to see how the new guy was. Well after 10 minutes of hearing him Bash every other brand and dealer in the area I was not impressed. My friend stated he had a Malibu, Adam said"did the guages fall out yet?", My friend said he owned a Calabria before that, Adam said"OH, Im Sorry", then proceeded to tell us his opinions of ALL the other dealers in the area and they were all negative. I know sales techniques, and I know you want to sell YOUR product , but dont bash on others to sell yours! The boating community is a small world and everyone knows everyone! I didnt tell him I owned a Sanger Cause I wanted to feel him out before trusting him with My service work so I asked ome questions about the Sanger and he kept pushing me into the MB SPorts boat which I clearly had NO interest and wanted info on HIS Sanger line. He told me how HIS SANGER V210 was the "official" AD boat for Sanger and how he just got it in from the Photo Shoot. Man I wasnt impressed! Okay I dont want to be all negative, I did go talk to the service guys and They were really cool people to talk to and were knowlegeable about the products they were servicing so that was comforting. Adam just needs to lighten up the High pressure sales technique and sell his products equally and he will do Fine. Sanger boats are a FANTASTIC product and you will never read ANYTHING bad about them.

R+R Sportcenter- DONT BOTHER!!!!!!LOUSY-LOUSY-LOUSY. NEVER A GOOD WORD ABOUT THEM.Customer what?

I am partial to Tilly's and VS, And Sanger Boats. I know thats a weird combo but like I Said The boating community IS REALLY SMALL!

Now it is just a matter of what boat YOU like and The Vibe YOU get from Dealers. Someone in the boating world once told me there are NO Bad comp boats, some have there advantages and some have dis advantages, just pick the right one for you.

I picked Sanger for my own reasons, and the SANGER Guys(Scott P) took care of all my needs for my boat.

My Bud Picked Malibu for his.

Sometimes its budget driven and sometimes its How you feel about the Dealer you are buying from. I know I would buy a SEA-DOO before I bought from R+R again!

MY$.02
Old    gambo2166            03-11-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Nice boat Gery.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
Thanx Bro! I loved it!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2004, 12:18 AM Reply   
I've boat 3 boats from the area you're talking about. Here's my opinion.

I'll refrain from comment on Mission RV, since I've only been on their lot 1 time.

The first dealer is no longer in businness..enough said about that one.

Bought my next boat from VS Marine. Great dealership, great service and would have bought from them again, but after my demo's I chose another brand. I called back up to let Chris know I had chosen another boat, and he was ok with that. Mark is also a huge asset to the shop. Still keep in contact with them after I bought another brand.

Mid-State..I know Joe pretty well and he has always treated me right. Would have bought a boat from them, but once again, I chose another brand.

Tilly's..Can't say anything bad about them or Malibu. Nothing but a class act, even the factory folks have been great to me. Bruce and Brett at the dealership, and Amy at Malibu are the best. Tilly's has kept in contact with me long after the sale, and their events are nothing less than a lot fun and in my opinion I made a great decision.

It came down to what I wanted in my boat, and Malibu had what I was looking for. My wife made it very clear I would have this boat for a while, so I got exactly what I wanted. Not sure if that helps, but that's my experiences.

Now, if I can just hang on for about 4 more months until I can use my boat again.}

Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-12-2004, 4:03 AM Reply   
i'll vouch for the guys, Bob and Joe, at Midstate Marine. I don't even go to my original dealer anymore simply because of the quality of service. i now use midstate marine and have received exceptional service and been given good discounts on boards and equipment. Bob is more of the service/PR guy while Joe is more of the technician. good guys though.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-12-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Check out Xtreme marine in Paso when you get a chance. Brand new Malibu/CWB dealer. Super cool guys..ready to take over the world!
I think they open next month.
Old    crollg            03-12-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. Tony, I think I bought a bike from you guys a few years back. I do still ride on occasion with my wife. We might stop by sometime to chat.

First, some background. This will be my first boat and I think any of the top boats would make me happy. I have driven both the Tige 22V (VS Marine) and Malibu VLX (Tillys).

For my purposes, the Tige seemed to fit my needs better. I was particularly impressed with the TAPS systems ability to adjust the wake. As a newbie I probably do not need the biggest wake at this time and I will occasionally be pulling waterskiers and kids on tubes as well as learning to wakeboard and wakesurf. I will likely never be an extreme wakeboarder and this boat will be as much about family fun as serious wakeboarding. All you experts feel free to flame away on my newbie opinions. Note that I already surf and kayak frequently.

When I went to lake Casitias to test drive the Malibu VLX with Tillys the PP was set to only allow the boat to go 20 mph and I didnt really feel that I could properly evaluate the boat. It was a brand new boat with 9 hrs so they might have done this to properly ease the break in period of the boat. Bottom line, the VLX just didnt make me feel that I realy wanted this boat.

I am hoping to test a Mastercraft X10 or X2 in the next couple of months and that should help me decide if I want to go that way. I have been impressed with Mid State every time I have gone by and talked to them.

As for dealers, I think Mission RV is off my list. I just do not get the feeling from three visits that they will be my best option for support and service in the long run. I want to buy from and support my local dealers and expect great service in return. Its good to hear that VS Marine has a good reputation because Tige may be a notch below Mastercraft in quality if I go that way.

One last note. Like surfing and kayaking, when I go to the beach or river I go to play and not just sit around. I will likely be the same when I go to the lake with a boat. I will want to wakeboard or wakesurf most of the time I am on the water. Given this, will I be disappointed with the Tige in the long run as a less wakeboard more all around boat than say a VLX or a X2.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old    swpmwinc            03-12-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Funny how Everybody says to stay away from the dealers that bash the other makers. I do not live in the area and I have relatives that do. They have been out in my Boat(Calabria Pro-V)and were interested in one so I called VS marine to see what they had in stock. They first thing they do is tell me the no longer carry Calabria and proceed to bash the boat and factory. I hope that they dont do the same to Tige when they change brands again.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-12-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
George, Two words...Xtreme Marine!!!!

They're unlike any other dealer in the area, totally committed to our sport! Let Pat take you out on Nacimiento in one of his VLX's, I guarantee it will change your impression of that boat. Pat is one of the coolest guy's you'll ever meet. Hard to believe we come from the same bloodlines (he's my cousin). They are on the 46, just east of the 101 (next to the GMC dealership), (805) 238-1477. Tell him that idiot cousin of his from Canyon Lake sent you.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
George -
If you did like the Tige', I would suggest a couple hour drive to Tige' Watersports in Southern California. He is the #1 dealer for Tige' and has an impeccable reputation and service group. The dealer there can always service any issues, but I have now bought several boats from This dealership and will not go anywhere else. They even have other local owners of other brands going there for service, and they also put on one great owner's party every year in Parker AZ. Last year 140 boats showed up for the event. Their # is 909-737-9801. The time to make a call will be worth it!
Old    roxyprincess            03-12-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
George, We purchased our first boat from V.S. Marine, and we were promised the world. Once the boat left the shop and we needed it to be serviced they informed us that they don't work on that particular boat. Although we purchased it from them, they would not service it. It was an eye opening experience for us. There was no Customer Service after the purchase. I have since found that there are many locals who will not support the local dealerships. I find it quite odd that most locals from the Central Coast have gone outside of our area for their boating needs, I think that will now change. We} have a new shop in town. XTREME MARINE. I have recently talked with the owner and his enthusiasm spreads quickly. He has years of experience on our local lakes and is so informative. He was personable and took the time to talk with us. We are now owners of a Malibu and love it! I now know where I will spend all of my boating dollars. If you are looking for a dealer to fulfill all of your boating needs and answer all of your questions, contact Xtreme Marine
(805) 238-1477. I think you would be very happy with this dealership.
Old     (sloboat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-13-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Glad to see we have a Malibu dealer here again. Thanks for Xtreme's number. I really hope they make it!! There is alot of dealer turnover in the Paso area.
Old    whyjgw            03-13-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   
Who the hell is Gary (goth20) please don't listen to this idiot. He is totally clueless about Adam and Mission RV and Marine.

I have gotten to know Adam and his crew over the last year and you will never meet or have the pleasure to know suck a great guy and family man.

He is a family owned business and his service is second to now. I have been to all the other dealers in the area and would again buy another boat from him in a second.

He and his crew treat you and your family like you were one of his family.

So I don't know what these other people are talking about.

He has never bad mouth any other dealer ever.

His prices, service, salesmanship is second to none.

I am wondering if this discussion is another dealer driven????????

Before listening to these idiots go and visit Adam and find out for yourself what he is all about and I promise you he will give you more for you money then any other dealer on the Central Coast if not California.

Let me add something about the Tige dealer in Corona. I purchase a 2002 22iR and sold it less then two years later. They are the worlds largest sales wise but you are just a number with them there service sucks, you have to wait 6 weeks to get anything done.

My boat was less then two years old and the stering cable got rusty I called the dealer and they would not replace and the company would not replace because they said they advised my brother and I that we need to lube the cable (bull crap) they never said a thing.

After bitching to the company, talking to the VP they replace the cable but wanted to charge us to install.

Buy a MB Sport, you get the best boat, graphics, everything for the money.

DON'T BE A SUCKER AND LISTEN TO THESE OTHER IDIOTS
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Listen James White, I did not say not to go to Mission, I just stated MY experience there! If you read the post I stated that the service guys were good people and knowlegeable. I also Stated that Adam will do fine If he stopped the High Pressure Techniques! I did not say DO NOT GO THERE< THE ARE THE WORST EVER, did I? I also stated that a boat purchase and YOUR dealer was a VIBE that YOU got from them, didnt I? I just stated a opinion of MY dealings there.
SO James Please dont come in here calling people names! This is a forum for people to discuss our sport and have fun. We are ALL entitled to OUR opinions.

(Message edited by goth2o on March 14, 2004)
Old     (sloboat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2004, 6:47 AM Reply   
I've never had any dealings with the guys at Mission,
however,if Paul in the back(North County Marine) is his service guy he is awesome. I've been taking my Malibus to him since he was at Midstate and he has always been great!
Old    crollg            03-15-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
James and Steve

Thanks for the posts on Mission RV. My own experience with Adam is that he did concede that Mastercraft and CC are good boats. But in three visits each time he has bashed Tige pretty hard. I did talk to his service guy and he seemed pretty knowledgable and friendly. When I was there I asked to see the service area and it was a mess. I could not even figure out where they would work on a boat out back. This is a little worriesome to me. Especially when you compare to Tillys awesome, clean work bays and service area. Midstate does not have a Tillys quality work area but they at least have room to work on a boat.

Gary, thanks for an honest statement of your opinion.

Also thanks for the posts on XTREME MARINE. I am alswys a little skeptical of a new dealer for any product. I prefer a dealer that has been around awhile and has established a good reputation. Not to say I will not stop by XTREME MARINE but I would prefer someone with a proven track record.

Roxy, thanks for the info on VS Marine. What kind of boat did you buy from VS Marine that was not serviced? Who ultimately serviced your boat and how happy were you with their service?

Thanks again for all the input

George
Old    whyjgwwhy            03-15-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
Sorry my onld account got hosed.

Ok, Gary

Let try to clear the air here.

If I offened anyone I appologize. Your and others comments seemed to bash a company and person that I whole heartly support.

And I felt I also needed to clear the air about Adam and Mission RV and Marine.

My point was to make sure that when anyone is purchasing a boat they check out all the facts and especially the prices. Adam will save anyone a gang of money.

As far as Tige boats are concerned, I hope everyone knows the facts.

Whom did Tige decide in the first place to give the Central Coast Dealership too.

Adam and Mission RV and Marine not VS Sport!!!!!

Adam after helping him get the dealership by talking to the VP of sales personnally. And them refusing to replace a $180 steering cable, and having the gull to tell me that Tom at the Corona dealership instructed my brother and I to lube the cable was a total lie.

Do not in any why, shape, or form trust Tige.

Adam decided to cancel the Tige Dealership after inking the dealership with Tige.

Then and only then did Tige have to decide to make other arrangements.

So once again I appoligize if I offended anyone that was not my point and I was hot after reading is discussion.

I wish all well and happy boarding on "The Dragon"

KEEP IT REAL
Old    roxyprincess            03-15-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
Hi George again,
We bought a Four Winns from VS Marine. Last year when we asked about having our boat serviced at VS Marine, they told us that they no longer service Four Winns, yet the ironic thing was is that they had numerous Brand New Four Winns throughout the showroom. Thats when we decided that we were done, besides the many locals that told us never to purchase from them. We now own a Malibu and love it. I can understand your fear about new dealership, but Pat the owner of Xtreme Marine has been involved with boating for over 25 years locally. His service manager has recently transferred down from a large dealership up north. Together I believe these two have more passion and knowledge of the boating industry and wakeboarding industry then most everyone on the central coast. I do not intend to slam anyone, but we haven't received much information from the local dealerships who have been here for a long time. I don't honostly think that they have followed the sport nor understand the trend of the wakeboarding world. The owner of Xtreme Marine has two other local businesses on the Central Coast and has been very successful. I don't think he would try something new on a whim. I believe that this is a vision he has had for a long time. I know that this is exactly what the Central Coast needs. I think he will be very successful. I for one again will buy only from Xtreme Marine.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-15-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Appology accepted. Its ok to state opinions here, and the last thing wakeworld needed was another person just slinging mud and calling names, and I am glad you are not that.

I usually try and stay away from opinion based postes for this reason alone, but I wanted to give MY experiences with all these guys for George. A 50K purchase deserves it.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
George, I think you are doing this the right way. Dealer support is one of the most critical elements (at least to me) when making a purchase of this magnatude. Definitely make sure to check out XM. Roxy speaks the truth about Pat and the guys there!