Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
We are putting a custom sack in my trunk and trying to figure out where the fill/drain hole should go (top, side, or bottom). We are using a self-priming reversable pump. The sack is big and should hold more than 700 lbs so there is some concern about the fitting being on the bottom and the sack sitting on the hose. Plus I run in saltwater so if that fitting ever gives it will dump 700 lbs of saltwater into the bottom of my boat.

On the other hand, we are also concerned about the fitting being on the top of the bag because of inadequate draining.

Anyone have any input?
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-09-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
I put a big sac like that in my locker... I used a 90 degree fitting to go into the top fitting. I was using a simer pump to fill and drain but quickly figured out that i couldn't drain. I don't think this has anything to do with the fitting being on the top though, but rather caused by the long length of tubing i used between sac and pump. I ended up just using a attwood aerator pump I got at wall mart to drain the sac. I plummed that one into the bottom hole and am planning on leaving it until it stops working. Is this a good idea??? I ride in salt too so leaking is always a nightmare. I'm pretty sure that even with the fitting up top those reversible pumps can suck the sac dry...

(Message edited by actiondcpd on March 09, 2004)
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
Is this a lets go ride sac that doesnt have ends (looks like a pillow)? Or is it a regular sac that has flat end panels? If the end panels are flat you could put the fitting toward the bottom of the sac on one end, this way the weight of the sac wouldn't be sitting on the fitting. What kind of pump did end up with?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
This is a rectangular sack with flat end panels, dimensioned bigger than my trunk so that it will fill up the entire space (but with very strong material usually made to hold fuel). We were thinking of side panel toward the bottom as a good option as well.

I don't have the pump yet but am thinking Jabsco self-priming reversable. Any input on that subject would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-09-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Where are you going to put your pumps? The Jabsco's cost a little more but are ingnition protected. How long will your tubing be between pump and sack? Probably not very long since it is in the trunk?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Haven't really thought that fully through yet, but the goal of course will be to find a spot close to the trunk, and drill a hole in the bottom of the boat back there, so that all tubes are short in length.
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
Probably should put the fill/drain toward the bottom of the bag. Where are you going to put the thru-hull fitting, bottom or transom of boat? If you put it in the transom it doesn't fill up under way very well. Get out the hole saw and go for it!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Scott, thanks for the input. After giving it some thought I'm putting the fill/drain on the bottom of the bag.

The thru-hull fitting is going on the bottom of the boat.

Once my boat sinks from my shoddy work I may be by to look at a new X2!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Andre,

Nice to see you've quelled that evil surfing itch, and returned to wakeboarding again.

If you need any help plumbing your system, you can call me. Jeff Reese and I have done a few boats now, and we've gotten pretty proficient at it.

206-391-2285
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Cliff, LOL. I love doing both!

I appreciate that and will give you a call if we run into any trouble or need some advice (which is almost certain!).
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
The fill nozzle is the least of your worries. Putting that much weight in your trunk is going to cause SERIOUS damage to the fuel tank unless you reinforce the floor of the trunk. Don't do anything until you figure out a way to spread the load back there.

Since you're using self priming pumps, the location isn't that big of a deal. If you can, put the ports on the bottom of the sack, as long as flow won't be restricted when the sack is full.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Jason, I've already thoroughly reinforced the trunk and taken almost all weight off the gas tank. What little (if any) weight does touch the gas tank is distributed evenly along the front edge, with none at all in the middle.

Thanks for the input on the hole location.
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm sure you'll do just fine, be glad to help with any questions. Don't forget the small details, switches, breakers, wire gauge. I went out this morning at the bay, am I out of shape or what! I'm going as many days as I can from now on, have to get ready for the season. See you on the water!

Scott
Old    jetpilot313            03-11-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
i was just wandering if any one has tried this: instead of building you own auto ballast system jus drill a hole in the stock tanks with a tube connecting it to the aftermarket saks
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Michael, it seems like it would be a lot easier to T off the existing tubing rather than drill holes in your tanks. We are thinking of doing that in my friend's X10.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
Paul, if it is a self priming reversable pump, it will suck the sack dry with the fitting on top. Eric uses one in his boat and the pump works very well. It is slow though compared to the rule pumps as far as gph is concerned. If fill and drain time is important, have you thought about 2 pumps. One to fill and one to drain.? I stuck a drain pump (wallyworld 750) direct to my sac in the locker and it drains great and drains all the water out of that sac. Then again, you have to drill another hole to T into an existing ballast drain tube. Also, don't forget to put a valve on the fill tube. The sac will siphon out and drain out while you are on the lake. I found that out the hard way. Mysterious water loss in my fatsacs without a leak in the boat. Dang things would empty half way out the bottom of the boat.

(Message edited by colorider on March 17, 2004)