Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-03-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Hey I was considering what setup I was gonna get for the 06......I was thinking of going back to the Byerly....I had the 2004 byerly and loved it but ended up switching to LF for lighter weight. WHAT I REALLY WANNA KNOW IS.....Are the 2006 boards with the L7 Core considerably lighter than lets say my old 2004 Bio2 Byerly? Has anyone had a chance to see any of the boards and bindings in person? If you go to www.glassandpowder.com and go to bindings you can see an actual picture of the byerly bindings of 06. They look pretty sweet. Anyways, anybody who has seen, rode, or has any info...please feel free to enlighten me. Also, I am considering going to CWB too.....but I know I can get a pretty good deal on an all Byerly setup. So if anyone has any good CWB deals to offer up then let me know.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-03-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
wow the hypes really stepped it up this year....the word is that the l7 core makes it a few pounds lighter
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-03-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
it is probably lighter but not a few pounds.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-03-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
No lighter.
The plat core from CWB is the only ultra stiff, ultra light core left. It isn't cheap though.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-03-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
I believe it's a more open celled foam which makes it a little lighter. The problem with a larger foam cell is that it reduces durability. I'm not saying they are going ot break but that is what happens when you plast more air into the polyurethane. i'm not sure of Hype's process to make the board stiff and snappy because a open celled foam changes the flex dynamics.

The Platinum core uses a light foam core that also has glass enscapulated carbon rods that run the length of the board(kinda like stringers). Then it's all wrapped in a carbon top layer and glassed over. This makes an incredibly stiff/snappy board that explodes off the wake. Really something to behold. I don't care what anyone says but foam cores lose their snap after a few months of hard riding, because the carbon rides are stiff and more resilient that board will maintain its snap much longer. The new Platinum Absolute is my board of choice & I love it. If you like slow and straight vert pop the Transcend is a sick ooption too. Hope this helps.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-03-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
The boards are being built in china now as we all know; they can not make dna over there but the can use gnarlyer foam like the l7 wich is lighter but you can not use it in the states probally due to the epa. just my .02
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-03-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
Nathan, Go with the CWB platnium core on a Absolute or Trancend, with the CWB Zeus hinge tech. Best setup on the market IMO.
Old    veganx            12-03-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
If you're going after light weight I wouldn't look to CWB. Their Platinums are about the same weight as a biolight. The non-platinums are crazy heavy. The L7s are about the same weight as a DNA. Honestly, (within reason) I don't think weight matters. If your not spinning 7s you'll never notice it.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-03-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
the boards with the l7 core are about a pound lighter than the bio2 cores. which means less swing weight its noticeable but not by much, the new bindings are bad a$$ the most comfortable binding my foot has ever been in. easy to get on and off too. i say that hyperlite really stepped up this year especially on the two new designs having the abs sidewalls... only time will tell on how these new "features" will hold up though.

-norm
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-03-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
I ran into a hype rep today in ventura. (new board shop. woohoo!) anyways, he showed me a couple of the new boards. the premier, and the parks. they are definitely a lot lighter than previous years. I would venture to say, they are lighter than the old dna's. but I could not compare them next to each other, so that is only a guess. the new bindings look pretty cool too. not sure if I buy into the closed toe boot though... although the 3DS boot does look sick.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-03-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
that is exactly what i was looking for thomas.....someone who actually had a hands on with the new boards. Thanks to everyone else for their opinions and information too. Well, it looks like I may venture back to the darkside.....back to Hyperlite of course. Never thought i would say that but having a lighter weight byerly would rock. I like the new byerly bindings too... I am quite impressed with this year's lineup from them. I give CWB props as well. They have a sick line of stuff....their bindings this year rock! However, the money for what I want from CWB (Absolute Platinum with Zeus Bindings) is way to high when i could pay less than 600.00 for the byerly setup and i know its lighter than my old 2004 byerly.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-03-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Hey Thomas, what's the new board shop in Ventura? I've been to Tilly's out there with a friend and I thought they were it.

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-04-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
Yo bird, that is in fact not correct. My Platinum is way lighter than any Hyperlite foam core. It's really not even close. Plus it's carbon rods make it snap like crazy off the wake. Take a hype board and a platinum board, flip em upside down and jump on them. See what one rebounds the best. I know it's not scientific but it certainly is apparent the difference.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-04-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
Magellan,
the new board shop is called 'One Way Boardshop'. it is located next to Petco, near the kinkos. it has only been open a week. from what they said, they wont have any wakeboarding gear in until March though. kinda weird, since I did not see any snowboard stuff. only surf and skate stuff. either way, I am stoked to not have to go to the valley, or deal with Tillys for some gear. now if only they would carry CWB.... I want to try out the new Zues'!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-04-2005, 11:57 PM Reply   
Thomas, if you ever make it up near SLO town I can hook you up with some CWB to try. I got the 06 Zeus, an Absolute Plat & a Marius. It was butter today...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-05-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Stephan,
thanks bro. I am going to have to take you up on that offer sometime.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-05-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
I'm a little disapointed in how long it has taken for the Hyperlite stuff to hit my shop (still isn't there). And yes....I know it is coming from over sees, so lets not beat a dead horse. However, my local shop does have 1 (I don't know how they only got one , for display) 3DS. I saw it Friday night before I went out of town and to be honest it seemed kind of weird. The board seemed very "spongy". Sorry ,that's the only way I can explain it. I put it face down next to a parks DNA and stood on both of them. The L7 was a lot softer and didn't snap back like the DNA. This might make it more flexable like the roam, but I don't know. Like I said, felt spongy. Most of my stuff is Hyperlite, so I'm not trying to bash. I would like the new Murray, but now I am going to have to ride it first.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
"Their Platinums are about the same weight as a biolight. "

I don't know about that one. I've never pick up any Hyperlite that was lighter than any CWB board. Those biolite boards are tanks. I don't think there is anything heavier.