Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    ridehyco            06-10-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
my boss ruptured his eardrum
if he goes riding and gets water and his what are the consequences...

he really wants to ride

H
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-10-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
All i know is when my girlfriend popped hers they said that with the hole already there if she took another fall she could go deaf and stupid!!! I think the biggest threat aside from god aweful pain is infection.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-11-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
Delayed healing. Ear infection. Possible loss of hearing....nothing major.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
let it heal. get the stuff from the doctor to put in it.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2003, 6:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, let it heal. If it were an ear injection, then I'd suggest duct tape. But there are to many risks involved with ruptured eardrums, unless he doesn't mind risking his ability to hear.
Old    ridehyco            06-11-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
he wants to fill it with bowling ball plug...LOL

H
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
If your boss lost his hearing, could you sneak in and take over his job for a fat promotion?
Old    stormrider            06-11-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
Wear a helmet with ear flaps and you greatly decrease your chances of rupturing an eardrum. I think the Shapiro helmets look cool.
Old    reefhunter            06-11-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
I rode two days after my busted eardrum. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying it's a good idea. If fact i'm stupid and don't do what I do. But I did put in an earplug and taped it over. I looked like a real dufuss, buy hey...I got a run in that day.
Old    wakechick            06-12-2003, 4:22 AM Reply   
Hunt, tell him to wear an ear plug, or I even had a friend get some wax and make his own plug....which covered the entire inside part of his ear.
Old    caseynevada            06-12-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
Just ruptured mine about 3 weeks ago. After about a week of healing, I now ride with a wax plug. I can't remember the name of the plug, but you can find them in any grocery store. They are wax balls that form to the shape of your ear... and oh yeah... I now ride with a helmet and ear flaps... may look stupid, but after that kind of pain, I don't care.
Old    tarcisius            06-12-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Will just wearing those wax ball swimmer ear plugs totally prevent rupturing youyr eardrum?
Old    caseynevada            06-12-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
Not sure if the wax would prevent a rupture or not... I put it in there to keep the lake water from going through the hole (rupture) in the tympanic membrane and into my middle ear where it can cause an infection. It would probably be easier to where a helmet than put wax balls in your ears each time you ride anyway. Besides, how can you hear the tunes from the tower speakers with wax in your ears?
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2003, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'm here to tell you WAX DOESN'T WORK! It can't, with as much wax as i keep in my ears if it worked i would never have busted mine.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-12-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
If you take a nasty fall with earplugs in. The water can actually push the earplug through the eardrum.