Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Snapped my arm in 2 last saturday trying to do a wrapped backside 360. Broke both bones in my forearm and tore a couple muscles. Got a little too much slack and got my arm caught in the handle. Had my muscles sewn up, 2 metal plates put in w/ 11 screws. My summer is pretty much ruined.... dont let it happen to you by trying stupid ass tricks you arent ready for!!!!
Old    buttacup            06-11-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Ooooouuuuccccccchhhhhhhh. Hope you heal fast so you can at least enjoy the end of summer.
Old    airjunky123            06-11-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
Lot's of hydrofoilers have had that problem(arm through the handle) and Lonnie Marchand of Cinch Max has come up with a solution, the Cinch Max release. Check it out at www.cinchmax.com. It's a velcro release that you can set to release at varying degrees of load. I've used one for the last couple of years and it does give you a sense of security knowing that if you get caught up in the rope or handle, it'll give before your bones do. You'll probably be bruised a little, but not in debt to the orthopedic surgeon.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Any other Hydrofoil trick is to cover the center of the handle.

A friend of mine did this with some nylon material and 3M double stick tape. He filled in the triangle shapped gap made by the grip and rope. Just left engough of a gap by the handle so that his fingures could fit trough.

The other quick way to do this, is use a pantyhouse. Pull it over the handle and that covers the gap.

I have and use the Cinch product that Jon mentions, have seen it work. Left a nasty bruise but no other injuries.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-11-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
Jonathan, thanks for the Cinch Max info. I just called and ordered a release. I talked to Lonnie a while and he's pretty cool. I tore off one of the tendons on my left bicep by putting my arm through the handle in '97. Last month a caught my forearm and came very close to doing what Michael did. I got off lucky with a lot of pain and bruising. I was actually gonna try to build a release, but buying one will probably end up being easier, cheaper, and safer. By the way, both times I put my arm through the handle, I was on a wakeboard doing tricks I had pretty consistent.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-11-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Plates and screws! I feel for you mate..... Hope you don't travel much? That is going to be a real pain explaining that one at the security checkpoint.......
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-12-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info on the release. I think Ill check that out. What really sucks is I am going to Orlando on the 22nd of June and was planning a day at the cable park there and getting some coaching. Being from Iowa, there arent many pros around. Im shooting to be back on the water by my 24th birthday (August 10th). Wish me luck. Thanks for the thoughts. Mike
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2003, 1:36 AM Reply   
That sucs, you need to upload copys of the x-rays with the metal plates showing
Old    hhh            06-13-2003, 3:34 AM Reply   
Mike, I think for now on Ill call my wrap 360's, break 360's. Get well soon!!! I need more people on my boat, hehe.