Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-04-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have a 23LSV with dual batteries in the port v-drive locker with perko switch attached to the top corner of the locker/engine area divider. I want to move the batteries to the storage area behind the observer seat so I can fit bigger sacs in the lockers. My soundsystem is roughly 800W (on top of normal electronics). Both batteries are identical Diehard marine batteries. The soundsystem and electronics work great as is and it is unlikely that I will upgrade. I see two ways of doing this:

1. leave the perko where it is and run two large wires (one from each side of the perko) up to the observer storage area, connect one wire to battery 1 and one to battery 2

2. remove the perko, use a distribution block at that point, connect all wires to the distribution block, run one very large wire from the distribution block to the perko relocated in the observer storage area, connect one side of perko to battery 1 and one to battery 2

Are there any negatives associated with either choice?

What size wire is recommended for either option?

Is there a good online store or brand of wire that is best?

Thanks for the help!
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-05-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
anyone done this before???
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-05-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'd just grab some 0-2 gauge cable and run it between the Perko switch and your new battery location. same with the ground cable from the engine block/mounts.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
In my opinion get rid of the perko switch. I would Have custom 2/0 cables made by a local automotive/Heavy-Duty shop. Run the positive and negative from where they are currently hooked up. Have these made to run all the way to where you want your batteries. Install a Sure Power 1314(separator/combiner) between the 2 batteries and never deal with a stupid switch again. This is what I did for my boat and it is easy to install, cheap and it does everything for you. Here is a link to the product. My company sells them for around $50. At that point you are probably only talking 100-150 to set it up.

http://surepower.com/pdf/separatorinterconnect.pdf
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-05-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
IMO any time you can avoid splits or brakes in your battery cable the better. But that doesn't mean if you have a break or a split in your line you could or are gonna have any problem's

I would leave the Perko or Battery combiner where it is and then move the batterys to where ever you choose.

If you don't have the tools to cut and make battery cable ends you can do this. Take a rope or string and run it threw your boat just as you would the battery cable you will be using the string or rope as a guide to figure out how long the battery cable is gonna have to be. Take the string or rope to the wire shop and have them put ends one each of your cables.

You can get a pretty good deal on 0 AGW wire at welding supply shop. I think I payed like 3 dollars a foot. You might pay as much as $5 a foot. The 0 gauge wire you get from the welding supply store dosen't have alot of shield around it and its real flexy. I have had good results with it.