Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-01-2005, 7:14 PM Reply   
Well we knew that ditch next to Highway 101 was good for something!

Hyperlite and Salinas Valley Marine have gotten Brian Grubb together with a bunch of local Pros to feature a series of slider exhibitions this weekend during SVM's annual Summer Kick-off Sale. If you missed the action at Pleasanton a few weeks ago this is your chance to watch the winch in action. As you can see from the picture below the guys have got it going on already. The first session starts around noon tomorrow and will continue on thru Sunday. It's not hard to find - it's right on hwy 101 in Salinas!
SVM rail
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-01-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
Before anyone says anything that's not Brian, he'll be there tomorrow.
Old    penny4urthots            04-01-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Don't worry Rich that pic sums it all up! Great shot too by the way! It was the best view I got to have all day since I was so damn busy preppin for the event. Thanks for sharing this you and Chris are truly great great friends to do business with! Glad to have all your help as well buddy!
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-02-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thats a sic shot keep um comein
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-02-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
i'll post some of mine later tonite, but just to satisfy you guys here's a shot of mr. grubb himself.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-02-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
that's not him!
Old    penny4urthots            04-02-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Rumor has it that it is a body double.... And the Manager of MERVYN's called me and said he was pissed about the manequin heist, and that he was calling Johnny Law to "find them darn evil doers!"

Hahhaaa, Seriously though cool candid shot Scott.

Oh and by the way...
YES, SCOTT I AM DONE INFORMING PEOPLE OF THE EVENT ON THE Disc Board. SORRY TO HAVE OFFENDED YOU OR ANY OTHER READER, I GUESS I WAS JUST OVERWHELMED WITH THE DESIRE TO SHARE OUR OPPORTUNITY. Can we be still be friends? If so, hit me up tomorrow at the shop I want to shake your hand and thank you for your involvement. I'm tired, sunburned, hungry, and get to do it all again tommorrow.

-I'm off like a prom dress...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-02-2005, 11:04 PM Reply   
i posted some pics here...
http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4937

its a wakeskating site so its mostly pics of Chris and Grubb. there's about 40 total pics if i remember correctly. 16 of Grubb and 8 of Chris. some are better than others, obviously...
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
Here are some more pics from Saturday.

Link: http://www.dpcfilms.com/Photos.asp
Album: Salinas Valley Marine / Hyperlite Demo

(these are frame grabs from the video I was shooting)

Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-05-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Where can one locate that type of tow winch? Who built it?

Anyone know what their speed was?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-05-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Did both people that came to watch have fun?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Greg - That was the REWIND winch.. they are pretty hard to come by.. 2 options:

1) http://www.hypoxicfilms.com/blackbox/
2) Build one
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
kung fu- thanks man. I will need to figure out the ratio's sounds like I need to do some research! Looks simple enough...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-06-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
The drum itself was around 12" attached to a main sprocket about the same size. On the motor they have a centrifical mini bike style clutch with probably a 13-14 tooth sprocket. They had to add line to it for this event which would speed it up. It was either full throttle or off so I don't think there's any sort of real speed control. If you set up the drive hub to accept different main sprockets like say dirt bike sprockets you could probably tune the overall speed. The guy that built it told me they had to experiment quite a bit to get it dialed.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 4:03 AM Reply   
I say buy a four stroke quad, prop up the rear end, use a rear rim without a tire on it to wind the rope.

You'll be able to control the speed with the transmission, clutch and the throttle.

It will have way more pulling power than a 6hp Briggs & Straton.

When you grow tired of wake and skate you can bolt the rear rim with tire back on and rip around the quad.

The resale value will be better also.

What do you all think?

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
Piranha:

Did you see the movie "Predator" when the Gov attacks the Rebel camp?

Just kidden, actually that's not a bad idea. Is there a stand available that is stable enough to not let the quad fall off with all the forces involved?
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Rich, I love that movie.

Here's my idea, You can tie-strap the quad in the back of a pick-up truck. Front wheels against the front of the bed. blocks under the frame so the rear wheels are off the floor of the bed. Also, straps going from each side of the frame to the bed of the truck to prevent the rear from swinging side to side.
Old    gobiggrom54            04-11-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hey what material are they using for the surface of that slider?
Old    gobiggrom54            04-11-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Anyone? bueler? Bueler?
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Max,

I believe it's that fake wood stuff that's made from recycled plastic.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
http://www.trex.com/products/whatistrex.asp
Old    gobiggrom54            04-13-2005, 5:39 AM Reply   
I'm talking about the surface that's black
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
You're looking for the material used on top of the slider, the actual part they slide on... well in the pic it looks black but it's really brown and it's the trex-decks stuff....

This is not the Salinas slider, but we used the same material and a better pic of the trexs (check out the 3rd pic in Sean's post)
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/214190.html?1111553681#POST464579