Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy a drysuit for the cold weather ahead. In looking through old threads on this it seems everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that the oneill boost is the way to go, is that still the case? They're roughly $400 everywhere I've seen them online, which is like a new board, so i guess my question is this: how long can I expect a drysuit (the Boost specifically) to last? Assuming I'll use it once or twice a week from November thru March and when I go out it will be me and a couple buddies using it. Is there any kind of warranty on the Boost? To people who own a drysuit, how long did it last and did it prove to be worth it? I'm a college student with limited funds but if it will last a while then I wouldn't mind paying for it. Thanks.
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-01-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
I am on year 5 with the BARE Ultra Dry...it is a bit less costly than the Boost. I would expect the boost to last as long.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-01-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
The O'Neill Boost -- or any well made drysuit like the Bare -- will last indefinitely long (years). The seals on a drysuit are the wear item and are susceptible to tearing. How long they last before they need to be replaced depends on how you care for your equipment.

All that said, the Boost is the best equipment purchase I've made for cold weather riding. We were out this morning when the air temp was 32F. Not sure of the water temp -- it was reasonably warm still.
Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Can you replace just the seals? Also do either of those suits come with a warranty of any kind?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-01-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Yes, you can have the seals replaced, and I believe Boost warranty is 1 year. I have two Boost suits in the family, both are several years old with no probs.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-01-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
Yes, you can replace the seals, no problem. The arm and leg seals are rubber. The neck seal is neoprene. I have two Boosts (one for me, one for my son). I also have a Bare on my rack, used by a member of my crew. The Bare is certainly a very nice suit but I like the Boost better. The neck seal is neoprene vs. rubber for the Bare. The O'Neill neck is way more comfortable. The O'Neill also has suspenders, which are nice.

I recently tore the neck seal. It was my fault and not a reflection of the quality of the suit. The arm and leg seals can be replaced locally. If I wanted a rubber neck seal, I could have it done locally, too. But to get the neck seal just as it was, I had to send the suit back to O'Neill.

Another member of my crew had a Bare. She tried my Boost, liked it so much that she sold the Bare and bought an O'Neill.

The Bare is a very nice suit. If that's what you get, I'm sure you'll be happy with it and it is cheaper than the O'Neill. Given the choice between the two, though, I'll take the O'Neill.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
I have an O'neill, used for about 3 seasons, and the seals are all good as new. My ex put a hole in the back, so I sent it back to O'neill and they patched it up nice.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-02-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Reed - Check your e-mail, I sent some info on O'Neill.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2006, 1:26 AM Reply   
Best Drysuit i.m.o.: Musto MPX Goretex Drysuit http://www.musto.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?productId=1440&fromSearch=false &colourId=22
Totally dry, no sweating (Goretex), very durable, even warm feet (no problem to get into binding with the latex socks)
What wörks for weeks below the roring forthys should work for hours wakeboarding.
Only downside, as always, pricey
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
wakemark

how do you know if the above drysuit linked will be good for high impact and drag of wakeboarding??

it doesnt even state what exact uses it covers...it says sailing which is usually and in boat activity not dragging in and under the water ...

have you used this for skiing/wakeboarding??
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
I'd go with a boost. After 3 years of hard use, it's still almost like new. The neck seal does leak a tiny bit if you dive really hard into the water but its still worth it for the comfort of the neoprene neck seal. I also had great customer service on a warranty issue I had.
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
can you remove those stupid booties on that thing? If not it would be terrible for riding. I don't even think I'd be able to get my bindings on.

I've got a Boost also, it kicks ass. One of the best wake related purchases I've ever made, if not the best
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Gotta go with the O'neil - fill with Helium for that floaty feeling!
Upload
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
i've been looking for a dry suit, & i'm trying to save money, but thats backfired before. I found a "Gladiator" ful baggy at Overtons.com for $239. I'll try to send the link. if it doesnt come thru, go to overtons & give me some feed back. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=18098&fcat=
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-04-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Adrenaline Watersports has the Boost on sale for $359 and their house branded drysuit for $259. The latter is quite popular here in the Seattle area.
http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/Products.aspx?CatID=8&SubID=17
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Marc stay away from the overtons suit i had one three years ago sprung a leak in a few months ,i sent it back ,they warrantied it and then after a few uses the new one leaked worse then the old one..I decided to keep it until the end of the season and send it back,overtons replied back sorry we cannot warranty the suit since it arrived one day after the warranty ran out,ONE DAY !!!

Great service now im stuck with and ugly yellow suit that gets me wet ..not worth the savings go with a bare or adrenaline for about 30 more bucks you will be better off in the long run..

BTW i know a few more people with the overtons suits and they also have leaks in the same area,they are still usable but IMO not worth buying ...
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!! I gambled on the 2, & decided on the Adreneline, purely based on colors, & 3 year warranty. If anyone else has owned one of these, please reply w/ some info. how long have you owned it, what kind of shape is it in now? thanks.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey Bill, I spoke w/ the owner of Adrenaline Water Sports, & he said he repairs all kind of suits. He was very knowledgable about drysuits & how to care for them for longer life. He said Overton's Gladiator cuts corners on stitching, using single layer & thread similar to light duty fishing line. His suits are double layer stitched & use stronger materials all over. He says his suit is comparable to the Bare, it just doesnt have suspenders.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-06-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Marc, Mike Bell at Adrenaline knows his stuff. He's a great guy that takes great care of his customers.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
Hey Bill, I and a freind of mine are using these Musto drysuits for two years yearround at temperatures till 33° Water and 40° Air. We've got them quite cheap by occasion.
They made winter boarding so much more comfortable. You only have to worry about your hands and head getting cold.
They don't take any water even at hard falls. You don't sweat because of the goretex. I don't even have a long wetsuit anymore.
Try them out if You can.

And bill, sailing in or below the rooring forthies (like Volvo Ocean Race where these drysuits are used) let's wakeboarding look like a dry experience.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-07-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Ive tried many different brands of drysuits. They ALL leak. Now, the ammount depends on how hard you are riding. What kind of riding are you doing in the winter? Are you pushing and progressing or are you just keeping what you got and not falling much? For more advanced riders going big, if you are pushing and falling hard, you will get wet, really wet.

I have a boost suit that Ive had for 6 years or so and its still in great shape. But, the drawback to baggy suits is they are bulky. They have no thermal protection in and of themselves, they rely on you layering dry clothes underneath to hold your heat. So, in general, a rider would prefer a wetsuit for its lean feel and flexibility. They have thermal protection built in, but it has a limit.

I say that to say this, there have been some pretty good advancements in wetsuit technology in the past couple of years. in fact, they arent very "wet" at all. Many are now completely sealed with amazing heat retention.

So, instead of douching your dry clothes and having to sit in wet cold gear when you get out, you can keep your dry clothes in the boat and have something dry and warm to put on when you get out. You also get the flexibility and lean feel of a wetsuit.

Im running a Oneill hybrid suit right now that I got a couple of years ago, but I think Im going to get a new 4/3 Psycho 2 or maybe that new Rip Curl suit with the heaters built in.

http://www.ripcurl.com/content/templates/news_usa.aspx?articleid=750&zoneid=6
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-07-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I've got an OS Systems drysuit that my dad bought around 1982. I've replaced the seals and zipper multiple times and patched it twice. Besides being out dated with color scheme it still works great. I'll usually ride pretty hard and push the limits but it doesn't really take on any water. I guess I got a little in one of the wrist seals last time I rode, but I was also attempting a tumble turn. I think if you get the right size seals you will stay pretty dang dry in the baggy style and you can just adjust the amount of clothes you have on to the water temp.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
Only thing that wetsuit needs is a cape & a utility belt, haha. No that Ripcurl suit looks cool, I like the little heater things.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-07-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Indy Tantrum in an old school Drysuit. . . Upload
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2006, 2:43 AM Reply   
I've never taken any considerable amount of water with the Musto drysuit and I do fall, hard, ask my friends.
Try it out, if You can. Friends who were critcal at first bought one after using it one time.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-08-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Well, just received my new drysuit from Adrenaline, & it looks awesome. it looks exactly like the Bare suit. I ordered it Saturday nite, & received it Wed noon. the picture of the suit on the Adrenaline site doesnt do it justice. I was nevous at first & decided to cancel the order & upgrade to the Boost or Bare. Mike Bell @ Adrenaline said I wouldnt disapponted & i'm not Thanks again
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
So i'm trying on my new suit & found a small little hole in the right arm wrist, a little disappointed, I called & left a message about the hole. Pushing my luck i said an XL would have been a better fit. I left that message at 8am thurs. Mike called me @ 10am & apologised. He said he already was overnighting me a new XL suit, & should see it by Friday. F**king Rocking Company! Thats how you run a business. Thank you Mike @ Adrenaline Water Sports!!!
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-10-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
Got the suit right on time! fits perfect, no holes. I'm the new un-official spokesperson for Adrenaline Water Sports .com.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Any one know what to treat the wet tech dry lite suit' zipper with? It's got a different zipper than the other suits (bare,stay dry,adrenaline). There's this rubber seal that goes over the zipper as you zip it.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-11-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Call Mike @ http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/Products.aspx?CatID=8&SubID=17
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Thanks Marc I'll give him a ring.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-11-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
we rub the wet tech zipper with wax
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-11-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
wax is what i've heard
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-11-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
wax is what i've heard
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-12-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
i have a oneil boost and really like it alot...the neoprene neck and suspender make this a very comfortable suit.

also, incredible customer service - dropped off on monday pm for a new/smaller neck(large suit with a medium neck) and got it back on wednesday at a cost of $15...really like the boost!!!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-12-2006, 4:45 AM Reply   
i have a oneil boost and really like it alot...the neoprene neck and suspender make this a very comfortable suit.

also, incredible customer service - dropped off on monday pm for a new/smaller neck(large suit with a medium neck) and got it back on wednesday at a cost of $15...really like the boost!!!
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
there must an echo
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
there must be an echo
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
anyone know where to get an Oneill Boost in XXL?
Old    Lakewood, WA            11-12-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
Red,
i'm not sure your size, but I wear a 2XL in most everything else, but wear an XL Boost drysuit. They fit a large range of sizes. I had a 2XL and it was HUGE. I'd guess my XL will fit from 5'9" to about 6'4", and weight from 180 to 230. Just a guess.

Unless you have a huge belly, then you might be ok. I'm 5''11", 230 lbs, with a 46" chest, 18 1/2" neck, and 35" waist. Fits me great.

John