Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    milo_lite            08-12-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
I just came back from the lake, I went to pick up a friend at the dock and i was side ways so my boat started to go to the side, make the story short, i banged my propeller witht he concrete ramp. I took my boat out, checked it out, the prop is all bent the same from each for loops, any chance I might of messed up the shaft, I have a v-drive forgot to mention that. I triied to run it out of the water and i could here a little takataktakataktaka noise...(thats the best impression of the noise tht I could do)...Any one with the same problem.??
Old    oshensurfer            08-12-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Hopefully you ran it with a fake a lake and not dry.... Just spin it (prop and shaft) with your hand and see if there is a wobble. If not, replace the prop and take it out for a test run. If you have serious vibration, you probably bent your shaft and will need to replace it..
Old    patrick_adams            08-13-2004, 4:36 AM Reply   
It is a little late now, but in the future do not run the prop out of the water. The prop shaft bushing is water lubricated. You can quickly damage the bushings if you run it out of the water.

Regarding the shaft, your local shop should check the alignment fairly cheap. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry to hear about your damage. These things happen if you boat long enough. At least you didn't have any hull damage.

Hope things turn out well and inexpensive.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-27-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
give me some country boy secrets for getting a prop off, i'm 70 miles from a shop. i have a centurion v-drive w/ a 4 blade Legend prop. it's dinged a little and i want to have it repaired. every shop i call says they don't have time to get it off for me. i've been tapping w/ a wood block and hammer but it's not moving.
Old    needca            08-27-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Dayne, I remember a thread from awhile ago about making a prop puller with a c-clamp, try searching ww

best of luck
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-27-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
The prop needs to vibrate. Don't use the wood.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-27-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
Ermilo: Since you were going dead slow when you hit the ramp I would not expect the shaft to be bent. You usually mess up the shaft when you hit something hard going at speed. I would replace the prop and try it out. If you notice a vibration that wasn't there before, have the shaft checked.

Dayne: Buy a prop puller.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-27-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
pour boiling water on the hub and tap it with a hammer.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-27-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
You might be able to jerry rig a gear puller from an auto parts store if you're willing to invest 20 bucks and maybe get some hardware from home depot or something.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-27-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
here's the rest of the story; i've used 3 different pullers, (no prop pullers though) finally, by combining 2 pullers, i got it off. an impact wrench helped too. the 3 arm puller wouldn't fit the four blade prop, so i used a 2 arm puller with the long arms off the 3. i went to have the prop repaired, and the shop had a brand new one, exact, on the shelf. i got it for $200. all that being said, i'm good to go for the weekend.