Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-19-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone out there has installed a SIRIUS satellite radio in their boat or car for that matter? I just installed one in my boat and it seems to be working good although antenna placement seems to have some affect (Note that my house has some way of killing signal to any cell phone reception and the boat is right beside the house with a carport over it as of now).
If anyone has it installed, how has it worked for you so far? Any major problems with signal in certain geographic areas? I think I'll be fine on the Delta as it is very flat out here, but when I go to some of the lakes in the hills should I expect signal problems? Thanks.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
I am have XM radio for the truck and boat, could not live w/o it. It's nice, great muscical selection. I think out of the two XM is most likely to survive I have not experienced any signal loss except under long overpasses.
Old     (hydrosport)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-19-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
I've found a problem with getting a signal out on the delta. It seems that there is a small problem on some boats that reduce signal strength. It appears to be coming from the boat cooler when it is not used for drinks. I think the long necks boost signal strength. Hope that helps.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Mike, it should work when you take it out from under the carport. My XM radio goes out when I go into my garage. I get great reception everywhere in my car and am just installing it now in the boat.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
This was something I thought about getting for the boat. My question to you guys is where did you put the antenna. Can the "car" antennas be used or is there a special marine antenna? I looked at Overtons and they have that ugly circular radar looking antenna for Sirrus.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-19-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
Joel that's messed up man! I think my duct tape will work on that cooler problem for now.

I bought one of the car antennas (the little dome shaped one). I didn't mount it today when I installed the tuner. I plan on mounting it while on the water to make sure there are no signal problems if it is on the dash behind the windshield. If so, I'll try some different places on the boat to find the best spot.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
You shouldn't need to install the antenna's up on top of the deck. You should be able to mount it under the fiberglass since the radio waves go right thru fiberglass. I have mine installed inside a fiberglass spoiler on my car and have installed one with the antenna inside a motorhome with no problem. I haven't had time to hook up my boat one yet.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-19-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
I'll definately give it a try underneath this weekend I would prefer that if it works. Thanks Brent.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   

Brent, thanks for the what up on antenna location. I am installing mine now, and thought I had to have in on the deck. Right on.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2003, 4:49 PM Reply   
Terk makes aftermarket antennas for XM and Sirius, there are marine specific antennas but I think that they are really designed for offshore use. I use a car antenna on my windowsill inside the house and it works fine. XM and Sirius use different satellites and technology, so the parts are not interchangeable. The XM satellite happens to be over Atlanta where I live, so I get great reception. When the rain stops, I'll install it in the boat. Good point Brent, I was going to put the antenna on the tower, but if I can just stash it under a gunwale, I'll do that. It's not a sound quality thing, it either receives or it doesn't, so if I can velcro it out of site, I will.
Old    gobeta            03-19-2003, 11:13 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about doing the XM solution for a while now. I might borrow my dad's and see if I like the music selection enough to subscribe.

Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-23-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
I did, in fact, velcro the XM antenna out of the way. I found that up under the gunwale is OK but if anyone is standing between the satellite and the antenna, that you lose reception. I ended up sticking mine all the way up in the tip of the bow, I think that will be the ideal place besides the tower, which is too much trouble. I have the sharkfin style XM antenna, supposedly the car one.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
XM is great, I have it in my truck and I listen to nothing but xm, no commercials, no constant repeat of the same songs, reception is much better too. Look at sonys antennas, they have one that sticks to the glass and has a fairly short(8"or so)mast.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-24-2003, 6:50 AM Reply   
mine sit right in front of the drivers side windshield.