Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Proud Dad, what can I say...Sunday was the first day they got up on their own behind the boat. My Daughter is 7 and my son is 5. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-24-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
that handel looks like its 2 ft wide...
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-24-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
That is awesome. What kind of boat and at what speed was it? My wife and daughter are gonna try this weekend.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
WOW!!! Thats awesome, congratulations on being a great Dad!!!

Sean
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Yeah, that is my 17" handle. It has the softer grip, my other one is an older one that has rubber tractor grip. The kids dont like it because it hurts their hands. Our boat is an 05' X-2(see Profile) and I was averaging between 13-15 mph. One time I was too busy watching and when I looked down, my daughter was doing 20 mph like it was nothing....
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
very cool!
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
thats cool to see kids start young. but that handle looks HUGE!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
way cool bro,
what board?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-25-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Yeah, the handle does look big when they are holding it. The are using a HL Motive 119 and Spin Bindings(Mini). I started getting them up on a boom about a month ago. It is real easy on the boom with them holding on to the boom first and then adding a handle.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Never too young to start> My daughter started at 5. She can rip it up! She also likes this.Upload
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
how come there is no wake in the above pjotos
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Chris,
You use a surf rope or just shorten your reg rope. Once you get up just get in the wake and hang on for a while. Once you feel confident and there is a lot of slack, just throw the rope in the back of the boat and surf.
We do it on days where the water is not so good.
Otherwise we do this.Upload

(Message edited by roughrivermike on July 25, 2006)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
Hey Byrd nice pics of your kids. I may be over that way this weekend if I am I,ll give you a call and let you try out my wake.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
Byrd,
Do your kids do INT? That will really get them motivated. Wait till you see how proud you are when they have medals hanging around their necks.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
Byrd, That is cool! I'm trying to get my kid's motivated to try wakeboarding. I think they are scared. anyone have any advice for getting my 6 and 11 year old boy's to try it, and a perfect speed? Byrd you were talking about a boom? can you explain more about this.

Thank's all!
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Jesse, I just got my 6-year-old son started 2 weeks ago. I picked up a lot of good advice from people on WW. Each kid is different so think you have to try a few thing to get a feel for what will help them the most.

I started first by fitting him in board in the back yard in the seated position with a rope and handle just to get him familiar with the pull and how to let the pull do the work of getting up.

Next we moved to a sandbar in the river we boat on. In about 1ft of water I pulled him along the shore. After about 20 times and a mild stroke….. we moved to the boat.

On the boat we put him about 15ft out with me holding the rope (so that when he fell I could let the rope go slack). This worked great, he popped right up went about 20 yards and dropped off, I was able to let go of the rope (as planned) jump in and hang with him until the boat came around to try again. This seems to be working for us, he is comfortable and each pull he is doing better.

Good luck, Brian.
UploadUpload
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
That's huge help, Thank's Eustace. I'm gonna try as soon as they get back from camping (I hate work). Cool pic's, Look's like our 6 year old's are about the same size, I hope this practice work's on my 11 year old he is a big kid. Maybe time for me to hit the gym.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-27-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Sorry for the delay in answering the questions. the boom is usually sold as a Barefoot Boom, and they can hold onto the boom or you can attach a handle to it. By using the boom, you can go as slow as 10 mph, but once they got up behind the boat, I usually average about 13-15 mph.

Mike, What is INT?
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Byrd,

INT League is where most kids get started doing competitions, it is based on skill. Check out this link: http://intleague.com
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-28-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Chuck. I checked it out and there is no INT League in Florida. I am going to check out what it's all about and see if I can get something going in the area. If you have any info or suggestions, email me or send me a PM.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Some pics of my son with me and his uncle. First time was last week. He loved it. Key is that they are not scared and want to do it. Hoping to get him his own board soon.

Upload
Upload
Upload