Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Well after watching me most of his life and riding with me late last year.....

Upload

He wanted to try it by his-self. So I like a good Dad, I let him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVSnuGBPlk

I guess this is a start of me waiting for "that guy" to finish. Oh well, it's fun teaching him. Now all he talks about is going to the lake every Saturday morning and getting him his own board. I never pushed him into riding, one morning he just said "I want try it", so I said....Okay sure.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-29-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Thats awesome. How old is he?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
That was great! I know the feeling having gone through it three times with my kids, it gives you goosebumps. If there is one piece of advice I could give and wished I would have done with my two older boys, is don't push them to get out there and ride. I did cause I was sure they would like just as much as me, and now I can hardly get them out to ride anymore.

I have taken a different approach with my daughter, and it seems to be working out a lot better then it did with my boys. I don't even ask her if she wants to wakeboard. I will let her bring it up, and if she does cool, and if she doesn't I'm still just as happy she is out on the boat with me spending quality time together.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-29-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
That wake is bigger than he is!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-29-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
^^^No Joke. Very cool when the kids want to wakeboard.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
He's 5 turning 6 next month. I never pushed him into wakeboarding, I just let it happened, and it did. The wake picture looks really big, but it's really not that bad.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
I wasn't saying you did. I was just putting it out there.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-29-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
I am going to push my kids! "you'll board and LIKE IT!"
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-29-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
the wake looks awesome. how much weight do you have in the boat?
and congrats on your son!

my little sister is 11, and shes to scared. weve made her try twice and she starts crying, i wish she would just try,i know she would love it. i cant wait to show her the video so i can rub it in her face. haha.

(Message edited by lfrider92 on July 29, 2009)
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-29-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   

quote:

The wake picture looks really big, but it's really not that bad.

Who said anything about it being bad? Big wakes are good!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
That's awesome, what board is he riding?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
That is awesome.
Last trip, my four year old niece said she wanted to wake board - so I took her out on the board with me. She now tells everyone that she is a wake boarder and has three tricks. It really is priceless - hopefully my boy will have the same enthusiasm when he gets to that age.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
I've been a little nervous about getting my daughter out there with me. Have her on a ski trianer and she loves it. Want to try and get her on a board next year, just need to find a good one for her
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
Chris, my daughter started out and is still riding a Liquid Force Nemesis 118.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-29-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Great stuff !! I got my G/F's nephew up on the third try over july 4th weekend. he jus turned 6 in april. his stoke is so awesome. i gave him an old squirt board with some small hyperlite bindings, perfect set up for the little man. His sister watched him ride for 2 days, then she asked me to teach her, she got right up too ! Upload
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Nothing better than seeing these kids doing this so young
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
We had just over 1K in my 1989 SN 2001 and three people, in the video he's riding a old LF trip, I think it's a 99 model. The look on that kid in the last picture is awesome.
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-30-2009, 4:37 AM Reply   
That is awesome, LOVE the look on that kids face! I love teaching kids to board. Chandler(13) has had several friends that have never even been on a boat! We take them out and get them boarding! My daughter is 9 (a very good gymnast) usually just sits back and watches. She never did want to get out there,although he tried really hard to get her to ride. Then one day a couple of weeks ago she decided she wanted to, and was doing wake jumps and 1 wake 180's the first time she got out there! Crazy! I guess all that time watching Chandler she was just soaking it all in and wanted to be more like him when she got out there. Now she takes a set about every time we go out. Still not into it like he is, but I am glad she can have some fun too!
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
That rocks!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-30-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
How do you get up with your kid on the board?
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
I get them up by letting them sit in my lap while we float in the water, their feet are in the middle of the board, (I have Gator Grip on that board and that helps) then we hold on to the handle, my hands are on the outside, their hands are on the inside. I tell him to bend his knees when we take off. I lift him up with my arms and that keep most of the water out of his face. I also have video, but I need to edit and download it to youtube. I'll post the link when I get around to it.
Old    wakelvr            07-30-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Awesome!!! We just got our four year old out there too!!! It is such a great feeling isn't it? Brady kept telling daddy "this is awesome daddy, this is so awesome" and then he told me this past weekend when we went out again that "I want to wakeboard all the time". Little man has the bug!!!

Congrats to you and your kid!!!

Upload
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Get your Shell card out because kids don't get tired wakeboarding. When my son was 7 or 8 he went for an hour straight I finally had to shut the boat off and tell him to get in.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-31-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
I can't wait to get mine out there. I beleive in "slight" pressure. I bought a board for cheap last winter with the hopes that she would just strap the board on this summer in the water. We got her to do that and play around a little. It's a start. Here are a couple of pictures. I think the younger one will be all over it. Upload
Upload
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-31-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I bought one of these trainers and can pull them across our beach and pool it seems to be getting them more interested. They just have to hold on to the handle. Not worry about holding the rope etc. Trying to get them use to being in the middle of the lake floating by themselves. We as fathers always play that gray area of how hard to push them. Kids are 2.5 and the trainer thing is so floaty it takes little speed to get them on top of the water
UploadUpload
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
60 feet behind a boat in the middle of a lake is a scary thing for a little kid.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-31-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hell yeah and in Florida it can be scary for an adult all the damn Friendly gators. Probably will end up getting a boom so they are right next to the boat. I have also thought about putting a tube on the ski pilon and their trainer off the tower so I would be right there and can jump in when they fall.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
That would be a great idea tampawake. When my son was starting I was in the water next to the shore I could just swim back to shore and be out of the way of people.

You can also put a rope handle with a float on it in the boat with someone holding it so when they fall the person in the boat can let go of the handle. Sometimes little kids forget to let go.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
I rode with my daughter last week. She's turning 3 in September. She loved it.