Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
I searched the board, but couldn't find much on towing with the 2006 or newer Explorers V8s. Right now I am towing my X1 with a 96 2DR Tahoe rated at 5,500lbs. The V8 Explorers are rated just above 7,100lbs. Is anyone towing with the newer Exporers? Do you think it will tow better than my current rig? My other options would be going with a newer Tahoe, but they are only rated about 1,000lbs more, and generally are more expensive.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       03-10-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
I have towed with Explorers for several years and have never had a problem pulling my Malibu out of even the steepest docks. Also, we take frequent trips to Norris Lake and Jellico Mountain doesn't slow us down, either. Most recent tow vehicles have been 06 Eddie Bauer and 08 Sport Trac Limited, both with 4.6 V8'S.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
Pulling out of boat ramps doesn't include trying to stop the boat. The tow capacity also doesn't take into consideration how the tongue of the boat trailer can throw the truck around.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       03-10-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Never had any type of problem, period. 500 mile round trips are routine.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
The 3+hr trip is what I am concerned most about, good to hear you haven't had trouble. I do think tongue weight is critical, but the boat should be fairly balanced as long as I don't load it with gear up front.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
1 person's opinion about a tow vehicle won't be the same as another person's opinion. You should think long and hard about buying a mid-sized vehicle to tow with. Honestly, there's no advantage in them over a full-size truck or SUV. The cost is basically the same, and the fuel economy is the same.

My wife's 05 Denali has a 375hp AWD package in it, and it's barely enough to tow my boat around. It REALLY doesn't like trying to stop. It even shoves the truck around a little on the backroads.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-10-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
My wife's 05 Denali has a 375hp AWD package in it, and it's barely enough to tow my boat around. It REALLY doesn't like trying to stop. It even shoves the truck around a little on the backroads.
You should really look into your trailers brake system. You may have a problem. Your trailer brakes are for stopping the trailer not for just "helping out" the tow vehicle brake system. Electric brakes with a brake controller are usually better than surge brake systems. But in either case the brake system on your trailer is designed to stop the boat and trailer without adding much stopping effort to the tow vehicles brake system.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Are you serious?? Maybe you need to look into your driving speeds if this is that much of a problem. I would agree a Diesel is great, but if you can't tow a wakeboat with a 1/2 ton, you're probably trying to drive like you would without a boat. Even if you're towing with a 1 ton truck, you need to realize you're pulling something and shouldn't be racing around at 90 mph.

There are many advantages to a smaller SUV, parking being the first.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Also Jony, maybe I was being a little harsh as you've got a 24SSV, but this guy is only going to be towing an X-1. The X-1 is to an Explorer about what your boat is to your wife's Denali. Around 3000 pounds vs. around 4000 pounds dry weight.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sorry, but I gotta raise the BS flag on this too. My Avalanche tows my Vride without any problems. It might slow down to 50 in the mountain passes but there is little or no tail wagging goin on. Stopping isn't an issue, even panic stopping is done in way less distance than the truck will stop on it's own (due to the trailer's brakes).
Of the 8 or 10 guys I ride with on a regular basis, all but one of them drive 1/2 tons, ie; a Silverado, a Tahoe, a Tundra, an F150, a Sierra, etc. And no one is getting rescued or having accidents. But then again, none of us have boats weighing over about 5500 - 6000 lbs either (with the trailer & gear).
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Bill, "tows your vride". Sure, what's that, 21-22'? I'm not saying it can't be done, you can tow with anything you want. I've towed with at least 7 different trucks, and only 2 were diesels. None were mid-sized, all full-size 1/2 ton's, 3/4 ton's, and SUV's. I've also seen what can happen in emergency situations, and it's not pretty.

kskateskier, my driving speeds aren't the problem. Boat's, trailers, and all the gear that people carry add up a lot quicker then you think. Parking? Seriously? You say something about my driving, and you mention parking is a reason for buying something small....
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
OK, John. Tell us, what do we need to have? A 1 ton truck to stop a 21' boat?

Gimme a break.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Again, he is towing an X-1. You don't think something can happen in an "emergency situation" with a diesel. I wish someone would run tests on stopping distances between say a Silverado 1500 and 2500. I'm guessing there wouldn't be a huge difference pulling a wakeboat. If we're talking about that, a mid-size SUV with great brakes (BMW X5) would do better than both. I would like to hear what you have seen happen with something midsized pulling a wakeboard compared to a diesel truck. I don't want to see a pic of a Honda CRV pulling a 247, just something like an Explorer pulling a X-1. If the same wouldn't happen with a diesel, I'll rest my case.

As far as parking, I guess you've never been in a parking garage? Size, not skill..
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-22-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
I had an 06 X-1, and an 06 Explorer V6. I used it for one year and it did fine, I was able to keep freeway speeds when needed, and stop going down hill when needed. I would say you are fine with the explorer. I ended up with an 07 Tahoe a year later but not because the explorer couldn't cut it.

You would be better in a 2500 but that doesn't mean the explorer is going to put your life in danger.