Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
yo bug!!! where's the marek review?!?! quit holdin' out man!!!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
The board is soooo! Sick Just got mine!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   

quote:

By Steeze (steezyshots) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:38 pm:

The board is soooo! Sick Just got mine!

no offense but that tells me nothing.

how does the board ride? what are its ride characteristics? what was your last board? what are the differences between this board and your last board?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Ok.

Take this for what it is as I am not super versed in why a board rides the way it rides so I wont give the technical aspects.

The board is super fast and super responsive, has the most pop of any board I have ridden you feel it connect and release off the wake nicely.

Super soft landings! Loose when it needs to be and locked in when on edge!

This board is taking the place of the SUB 6 that I have been riding this year. Before the SUB i was on the Pulse and then before that the 3DS. Before I was into hyperlite i rode the LF Subject and the fish for about a week before i broke it. In my mind this is the sickest board out right now, but as we all know it's all personal preference.

I am on the 141 Marek.

Hope my rambling helps.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
awesome! that's the kind of review i was looking for. thanks!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-15-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
Looks like Steeze summed it up well.

I got a chance to ride this board yesterday. Sick ass board! This board has more pop than most 3 stage boards out now. The Nova core is super light and super poppy. I got booted a few times where I didn't even know what to do with all the air I got. There really isn't much more I can add to what steeze said.

All I can say is you have to try this deck out for sure!

Steeze ~ Have you tried the Monarch?
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
How does it compare to the monarch?

i liked the board a lot, it was really poppy and pretty lose, i thought it rode decently fast also.
marek faster? lighter? poppier?
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-15-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
is it an advanced board that you dont recommend for a beginner that have a 180 as the better trick he can do ?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-15-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
there is really no such thing as a board too advanced for someone. its a great board all around.
as far as comparing it to the monarch thats like comparing apples to oranges. the monarch is a 3 stage rocker that boots you right off the wake and is really fast where the marek is a continuous rocker that that sends you more into the flats and is super fast as well but it gets on the gas right away soon as you lean over on edge
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-15-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
hey ant- send me some of those pics you got with that fish eye when you get a chance.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
i hate you guys. Now I have the itch to go demo the marek now. My list of board i want to demo is getting way to long.

cwb transcend and marius
HL marek and murray
byerly monarch

so far the leader is the HL tribute
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-15-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Radikal ~ are you talking shait about my trick list?

Jason ~ will do.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-15-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
i was in the the slalom shop and they told me the merak was a skinner version of the marius. i didnt believe them, but maybe so. i guess if it has a v hull and is skinner as a 146 that would be a 140 marius. we will see. steezy you ever ride a marius?
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
i really cant see how the marek would be comparable to the marius. To me they have totally different shapes plus the marek and marius have different cores.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-15-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
they both have some v hull and they both have continous rocker. cores do not make that much diff. maybe in weight, but with proper edging board weight isnt a factor...imo
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
what size rocker does the marek have?

true jerm. The fins and channeling on both are def different though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
goride, add lf shane to your list.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
not a fan of the LF cupped fins. If i make it out to another LF demo day ill def give it a try just for you joe.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-16-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
No I haven't ridden the marius or the monarch. I have a monarch just never get the chance to ride it as I have been in love with the SUB 6 and noe the Marek.

I got 2 marek 141's if your in the nor cal area and wanna try one let me know. we usually hit up verona so if the stars line up and you're gonna be where i am anyone is more than welcome to give it a rip.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
i do live in nor-cal. Im i dont get a chance to ride it soon ill def send you a PM.

You should def give that monarch a try I really liked that board. But if that marek rides like a cont. rocker and pops like a 3 stage then im SOLD!!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-16-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Sounds good man! I'll be at the river all weekend.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
Can anyone else compare the new board to the 3DS. I have been riding the 3ds for 3 years and love it, but I am alway up for a true upgrade. The marek comes in a 146, but is the tips narrow or does it have significantly more area than the 143 3ds. More area is good for me, not to many big boards out there.

I don't have a shop close, so I will have to pay shipping even to demo, so I was just trying to get as much info as possible. I was planning on looking at the murray and comparing the two.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
hey guys i was wanting to demo this board too. i just went from the lf trip to the lf shane this summer. i like how the shane pops but i liked the speed of the trip a little more, it was also a little more consistent. it sounds like the marek is the best of all worlds.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
I rode the 141 Marek yesterday and currently ride the LF Trip 138. I really liked the speed, tracking, pop and landings. It was a very relaxing ride and low tension in the line. The speed was a bit faster than the trip, tracking was similar to the trip, the pop was awesome and landings butter soft. I have no negatives to comment, really liked it!! I think HL has a winner with this board.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-20-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
If you like the 3DS you will LOVE the Marek!

I went form the 3DS to the Pulse to the SUB 6 to the Marek and don't want to look back!

Will still use the SUB 6 for rails!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have several runs on the 141 as I am awaiting for the 146 to arrive tomorrow. The board is crazy fast and loose. One of the best landing boards I have ever rode. It is a little like the 3ds, but better in all ways. I can say everyone that has rode it was not blown away, but are just plain comfortable on it. I have noticed I am not having to cut as hard or have to worry about it breaking. I always ride the fastest board I can find do to my size and this beats them all. It rides the highest on top of the water I have ever been on and has almost no drag or resistance. I spent a few seasons on the Parks, LF Team, and LF trip and it is quicker than those, but actually has pop. It will be the board of the year due to the size and ease of riding. It will help people that struggle with speed and edge into the wake.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-20-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
wow. sounds like a solid ride. Is the Marek wider than 3ds/pulse? I feel like i'm going to fast and not up here lately...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-20-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
yeah it is wider, i gained like 3 to 4 feet on every jump with the marek, i never thought a board would have such an impact on my riding!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Just got my custom 146 Marek. Now I just got to find someone to pull me on it!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
buffalow? having to find a pull??? no way!

wassup buffalow! long time no see/talk! hope all is well w/ you!
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Buffalow, it is not the someone, it is the somewhere out of the W_ _ _ .
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Just been busy as heck. Rehabbed my shoulder to almost 100% and starting to ride, but the w___ gods do not agree that i am ready apparently. Should have the new Tomcat shortly, but in the mean time I am following in your shoes looking for rides.

How'bout you??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-22-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
things are well and family's good! we'll have to hook up, have some beer, shoot the shizz and ride this summer!
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
I mentioned previously I rode the 141 Marek, but after a bit of research of what was supposed to be a 141 it was really a 146. I have ridden it again twice and I am normally a small board type of guy, but I really like the 146 better than the 141 once I got to ride both. Edge, pop, speed, spins, landings all were very comfortable on the 146 and I weigh about 160 lbs.
Old     (vec)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-27-2008, 3:11 AM Reply   
I usually ride the Ronix Covin 143. I just rode the Marek (136) and the B-Side (141). I didnīt like the Marek at all but I'm not entirely sure why. The board was way too small for me so the stance felt too narrow as well, which must be taken in consideration. The marek is a very loose board, and I kept slipping out at the top of the wake, so I missed the pop like 50% of the time. If I rode it more, this might be something I could get used to, but my first impression was that I like my Covin som much better in the way I can just lock it on edge and it will hold that edge all the way up the wake.

The B-Side, now this board is definetly nice. Its fast and locks on edge nicely and pops good too. This board still rides higher in the water than the covin, which results in that it keeps the speed better on landings. I was even a bit surprised on the first landings because the covin digs in a bit more.