Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-28-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Hi guys,

I don't post often but I have been reading the forum for the last 3 years. I have found a lot of great info and tips, so I wanted to share my experience with my new Slingshot Recoil 142 and D2 bindings 2008.

First some background on the reviewers:

My cousin:
Weight: 205
Been riding for 3 seasons
Gear: LF Shane 140 06 and LF Watson 08
Skill: intermediate

Me:
Weight: 215
Been riding for 3 seasons
Gear: Obrien Natural 144 and LF Watson 07
Hyperlite 3DS 143 07 and Hyperlite 3DS 06
Hyperlite Roam and Hyperlite 3DS 06
Skill: beginner-intermediate

The board

The Recoil is well built, it seems very durable, it is very thin and light.

It's very loose when you want it and has a strong edge and carves extremely well. The board is a little slow at first when you start to edge but it picks up speed nicely after that. I read a lot of reviews before ordering the board and I was looking forward at the soft landings... and I very happy with the results. It's very very soft when you land on the tail, very soft when you case a wake and good when you land flat. Overall the landing are a lot smoother then my Natural and the Shane.

Now with the POP..

If you have good progressive edge the board will reward you with an incredible pop that shoots you up rather far and low. We never experienced this with any other boards, its hard to describe, it snaps and you go up. We both did our highest jumps ever on the recoil and it took only a few sets to adapt to the board.

The thing I haven't seen in other review is how demanding the board is to ride if your are not an top shape. My theory is that since is flexes easily, it well absorb a lot of energy when riding on anything less then a glassy surface. This must create a little more drag and the side effect is that it requires more strength in you tighs, arms and shoulder. In our first days with the Recoil, we very completely drained and sore at the end of the day. But we had a huge smile...

The Bindings,

They are true to size and are very comfortable. They are also easy to get in and out. Even if they are the stiffest bindings from Slingshot, they are not has supportive as the LF Watson 07 and 08. They fit between the LF Shane and Watson.

The 4 screws pattern is great, no more toe or heel lift. The only thing negative about the binding is that the laces are snapped to back of the boots and they don't hold very well. The LF system is better.

After a few days of riding with the recoil, we are totally converted to flex boards. I'm selling my Natural, 3DS and I'm getting a Response 145 and another pair of D2 bindings. My cousin with sell is Shane for a recoil.

In all the boards we owed or were able to demo, we never experienced such a drastic deference in POP, soft landings, etc.

I'm siting on the couch writing this review completely beaten down (forearms, arms, tighs, etc) but with a huge smile.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
"and it took only a few sets to adapt to the board."

2 sets too many!

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had fun
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
The response is much quicker riding around, did you demo it? It pops great, very good for a continuous rocker board.
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-28-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Diego

No, I haven't tried the Response yet. I have read the reviews and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

My cousin will most likely ride the recoil and me the response.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
I think you'd be fine with the 142 response. My buddy rides mine now and then and he's bout 250 and doesn't sink it and gets great pop with it. I read the the 142 pops better than the 145 fwiw.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Slingshot rules!!!!! Every rider must try it.... the feeling is so cool!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Nice review
Lovin' my setup still!!

like you, i was a little miffed that the snaps did not work well, BUT i descovered that if you put the laces through the little square-shaped hole in the back of the shell of binding the laces will stay put and not dangle and flip so much. try it, you will find it to your liking, i promise it will work well!

Also, you may need to buy some hyperlite fins (.8 inch ones) because the flex of the board slaps the fins till they strip loose, even after putting in lock-tight... at least this is my experience and what i have done to solve it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
i forgott to say that the slingshot fins are FIBERGLASS to explain the stripping

slingshot fins are fiber glass and dont stand up to the flex beating on them.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
I got some new fins a few weeks ago and they said 09 they will be taking care of the fin issue
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Its sick to hear the stoke!

Its true, fins will be upgraded for 09. For now put a couple drops of crazy glue in the fin holes let dry and screw on. This will help stabilize the fiberglass and harden it up which will help decrease fin pop.

Meanwhile on my midwest tour.

I just hit up OKC cable park for 3 days of demos and the riders are super stoked on the flex and how well it preforms on rails and kickers. Rode at KC cable but not much love there for Slingshot but things could change if riders figure out flex is in.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
It's good to hear that the fins will be upgraded next year. cant wait till then.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       07-30-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
These boards sound like a lot of fun. I almost bought one and for sure want to try one one day. However, I'm not yet a believer in the better pop thing. I've yet to see a picture or video of someone getting the kind of air on these things that people can get on normal boards. I've watched the videos on the slingshot website and I'm not seeing anything close to the type of air Harris, Murray, Lyman, etc get on normal boards. Can someone please prove me wrong and show me some pics or video of massive out into the flats air on these things. I'm tired of people telling me about the pop with out showing me. Thanks.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Joe, myself and my buddy were thinking the same thing, especially with the response since it's a continuous rocker board. I bought one because of the soft landings I heard so much about and not for the pop, I was willing to give up pop. I was surprised at the amount of pop it has, more than my parks, premier 03 or o5, more than the legacy, more than any other board I rode.

I rode it a little in the spring (coming off 2 acl surgeries over the winter) and didn't give it much of a chance and put it up for sale. No one made any real offers on the board so I kept it. Once my knees were feeling better and my riding came back I took it back out. My buddy and I each took our second set on it and couldn't believe the pop, acceleration, and landings. I hate to be a cheerleader but it was def like no other I had ridden. My friend ways bout 250 and was getting bucked throwing huge floaty 180's.

Try and demo one.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
I think Harris, Murray, Lyman, etc could get more air on Moon boots nailed to a 2x6 then many of us will ever achieve! You have to wonder why no one on tour rides a slingshot too?
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       07-30-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Sorry, I don't want to be an a-hole but tape it and show me. By the way, I don't think it has to have more pop than a normal board in order for it to be a worthy buy. I just don't like people mis-representing stuff. It may feel like your getting more pop when really your not. I've heard a lot about the pop and just haven't seen it.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
demo one
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Well since Harris is on Companys pay role; now you might get the chance to see what all the POP is about...

More pros are figuring out that Flex is in!
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-01-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,

After a week riding the Recoil and the D2, I want out with my Natural and Watson bindings...

The Natural rides great but the landings are very hard compared to the recoil. What surprised me the most was the Watson bindings that I thought were comfortable... The Watson are ok... but I fell pressure points and my feet were hurting after 15-20 minutes in them. I went back to the D2 and there is no pressure point, they are so much more comfortable it is like night and day.

Seems like my Response will only come in on Monday... I will give you my review next week.