Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2004, 6:43 AM Reply   
I'm about to install 2 Simer pumps for my v-drive sacs. The sacs have the standard two ports on the top. Can someone give me details on how they have attached their ballast hose to the sac ports without using the blue waterbed fittings? I don't care if it's permanent or semi-permanent, as long as it's leak-proof, non-restrictive, and doesn't use the blue waterbed fittings. As many details as you can.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-29-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
When I was making my custom ballast, I went to the hardware store and found a pvc fitting that would screw right on to the fat sack. You would probably have to buy additional pvc or brass adaptors to make the tubing fit around and clamp it. I'm assumming you are using 3/4" ID tubing or higher. I ended up just going with the blue water bed fitting though.
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
I wish I was at home so I could take a picture and post it, but I'll attempt to describe instead. Take a short length of 3/4 inch ID hose and attach a hose barb fitting to the end of it. Shove the hose into the fatsac hole. It will be a tight fit so you will probably need some binding lube or soap to get the hose in. Shove it all the way in so that only the threaded part of the the hose barb thing is sticking out. Use a hose clamp around the outside of the fatsac port (the part where the blue waterbed would thread onto). Now you are done.

For the hose barb, you can either use the garden hose size threads or the pipe fitting size threads, depending on what you using in the rest of you system to connect to it. I used the garden hose variety and then attaching a brass garden hose quick connector to it, because I take my sacs in and out.

I used a long piece of hose inside the bag. I used about a three foot section of hose and cut a bunch of holes in it. This allows the hose to get way down in the bag and it helps for draining.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
I replaced my hard tanks with 500 lb. bags and I just ran 2" (I believe,whatever the size of the hole is,,,) tubing straight into the holes and used a metal clamp to tighten..It's completely water tight, no leaks..Just make sure the empty/fill hose goes all the way to the bottom of the bag so it will empty all the way. Also, make sure your vent hose is in only a few inches or it will start overflowing before it's full...I had a post on here about it a long time ago..
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-29-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
Here is a link from a old post with some pictures of my sacks,(page down). No you don't need a bottom drain. The pumps will pull some air our.

http://messageboard.wakeworld.com/MB/discus/messages/65921/50209.html

Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
airfreak's pictures are about the same as what I did. In fact, I think I remember reading that post back when I was building my system. But I like wilson's idea for a permanent install. Just shove the hose in there and clamp it on. No fancy gadets necessary.

The only reason I used the long hose with holes in it down in the sac is because I was having problems with the pump sucking the sac material up against the hose opening. That would block the water flow. So I made a hose with holes every 8 inches or so.
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-29-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the good ideas!