Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    west_sider1            11-20-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
check it out, its the intro plus about 30 seconds of my friends part, its 98 percent 16mm so tellme what you think
its at http://www.bungmung.com/index2.html and click on the picture of the rope and handle
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-20-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
I can't tell the difference between that and a video shot on miniDV - sorry. What's up with the really dark scenes, are they done on purpose or just a bad exposure? It seems to me that you'd be much better off shooting a ton of miniDV and editing that instead of going for 16mm but hey, it's your money.

I like the music and the editing isn't bad. I just think you need higher quality footage to choose from.

Old    west_sider1            11-20-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
i think 16 looks way better than mini dv, the contrasting was done in the developing room on purpose also, but its ur opinion

(Message edited by west_sider1 on November 20, 2003)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-20-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
When it's projected or on a DVD 16mm does look better. Once it's compressed for downloading there isn't too much difference. Yeah, I didn't like the dark scenes at all cuz I could barely see what was going on. But if that's how you want it to look that's cool.
Old    west_sider1            11-20-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
i agree with you on the fact that it was compressed from about 1gb down to 20mb, but i actually did want everythign contrasted, and i like to bring out the shadows
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-20-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
pretty sick film man, i like people who do creative should mix the 16mm w/ a reguler minidv
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-20-2003, 9:28 PM Reply   
I agree bryan, I like the contrasting and how you put your own 'unique twist' on the directing.
good job.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
Of course film is going to look better than DV. There is a reason why it is still around in this age of digital everything.

If you are going to "contrast" everything, why not just use DV? Were there any particular reasons why you decided to primarily use film instead of DV, because chances are you could have acheived the same picture by shooting digital since you are just going to put filters on the video. You would have saved some money too.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2003, 11:27 PM Reply   
i thought it was a pretty cool video. not to be nit picky but...i thought the intro was good except for one thing. with the song being slow i think using sometype of fading transition would have made it look better. i.e. more fluid. also one thing that i noticed is you did a lot of filming (during your friends part) with the sun straight up or actually behind the rider. always try to film driving into the sun to get good lighting on the rider and his surroundings. i usually put the camera up from around 10am to 5 in the summer time because the lighting is just to bright.

16mm is definatly better than dv anytime, however nothing beats super 8 in my view. can't wait until i can actually afford to buy that stuff and develop it.
Old    west_sider1            11-21-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
yea man if you like super 8 you should check out pro8mm.com they are easier to use, and the web site will develop it for you. thankyou for chekcin it out, derrick, thnks for the advice, i think i filmed mosta that guys part with mini dv, so i didnt really notice where the light was but ill defently pay more attention with the 16
Old    jakeman            11-21-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
Bryan

that video was dope kid
your direction is very deep
mad skills and yur only 15

site is looking good too

you guys make a great team=keep up the hard work

late/jake

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-21-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
15 and shooting on 16mm... I'm jealous!

Derrick makes some good recommendations especially about the lighting. Easy Rule for this... If the sun is in the rider's face, you're heading in the right direction.

Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-21-2003, 6:32 PM Reply   
bryan-pro8 was a cool site but i'm talking about super 8 as in the old homevideo style stuff. i like the look of old film when the quality isn't good. i think there's a little artistic blend with it b/c it's so raw. i'm not talking abou making a whole video from it, just using it in certain areas.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
derrick, pro8 (supersound) is super 8mm film. are you talking about 8mm video? because pro8 is super 8mm film, just what folks used to shoot home movies with.

the only thing is they only develop negative for telecine - you can only get a "print" (something you can project), with reversal. not that most people are projecting s8 now anyways.

nice going bryan. i'd have to say that i agree with bill, a lot of the really dark stuff doesnt work for me. crushing the blacks and getting good contrasts doesn't mean you have to lose definition, but then maybe compressing the video for viewing online did that.

i gotta say, the colors certainly don't look like video. some of that footage looks really nice.

another tip: framing. a lot of these shots seemed to have too much head room and/or seemed too far away.

overall tho - im impressed. i certainly wasnt working in 16mm at that age. heck, im not even doing it now! :-)
Old    west_sider1            11-21-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
thankyou for checkin out my films, i have some other independant type ones thatmy frien has to upload, so just check out the site every once and a while