Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-19-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
It’s about time that I finished this board that I started building back in June 2009. Wow am I slow or what. In the same amount of time SD built about 10,000 boards and experimented with exotic material like inobtainium, nonexistium, and wood.

This board is not one of my better efforts. Just as I was finishing it, last summer, it fell off of the shaping stand so I had to repair it. Then the tape over the fin boxes leaked so I had to scrape the epoxy off of the inside of the boxes and I had to tap the set screw holes.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    mobster            12-19-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
glad it see it done. ED have you ever got your contest finished edit to run on NBC sports? It seemed to take a while to aire
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-19-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
JL The NBC thing was through USA Water Ski. I didn't find out until the last minute that the NBC deal wasn't a sure thing. So, after telling everyone that we had NBC - well we didn't

At the last minute Scott Gooden brought a film crew down. They filmed all event long but I haven't seen any product.
Old    mobster            12-19-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Next time use Us ,we would have pumped it out, Also I can help you out on getting it played on fuel if you would like ,there are several options you can use
Old    surfdad            12-19-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Great job Ed! It came out great. Oh! and by the way, do NOT get inobtanium on your skin, it makes your hair fall out! I can't tell you how hard I laughed at the reference to e.wood. :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-19-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
What is that WHITE stuff surrounding your driveway? Ugh.

Nice looking board, Show.

Ever notice that almost anything Surfdad uses, causes hair to fall out? Hmmmm
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-20-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
Show ,
how bout some specs on the board , has a funky shape , what do you expect on the ride?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-20-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
The shape is really the same as my other home builts but I trimmed the nose flat.

Weight, I don't know but it feels heavy.

I started with a home made 48" by 24" blank.
Old    surfdad            12-20-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
Ever notice that almost anything Surfdad uses, causes hair to fall out? Hmmmm

I know! Why is that? :-) Reminds me of that line from the Simpsons - something to the effect: "Why is it that things that only happen to stupid people, keep happening to me?! "
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-20-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
the board looks cool show and i congratulate you on your finishing of it. i thought i was going to pop out a few boards and couldnt pull it off so i kinda know how special it is that you finished!! i cut my foam, cut my stringers, glued them in, made templates, drew up rockers and have 4 blanks hiding somewhere in the garage .... inobtainium is brilliant thinking by the way .... surfdad needs to do a build 101 class but reading all is posts is entertaining and informative, its alot of extra knowledge i wish i could apply!!

Happy Holidays All!!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-20-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
i forgot to add that i have given up so much ive been thinking of all kinda cool places to install fin boxes to put my fins in: the walls, my desk, car, kinda like art
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-20-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hmmmm.... fin boxes everywhere. I could see lots of incidental injuries.

Thanks guys. Board building is a lot of fun, a little addictive. We might need to start an intervention for SD. Honest SD, Judy didn’t email me with a request.

I don’t think I’m going to make another board for a while. If I do acquire another board might be one of WP, EB, or IS. The quality of the production boards is much better and these guys do a lot for the sport. There are others but I don’t want to list off the whole industry.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-20-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
we went and saw Avatar today and my ears perked up at the mention of unobtanium!! LOL!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-20-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
It's a military term.
Old    mobster            12-21-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
unobtanium is trademarked by Oakley I first saw the word in a Car & Driver mag in the late 80's describing the new at the time Black SL 500 Benz then later it showed up in a oakley ad