Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2003, 5:41 AM Reply   
Perhaps this has already been posted, but what's the deal... what do you guys think of the Merc Vs. Volvo issue, wich one do you prefer?
The adv posted on merc's site against "their competitor" was pretty much a shame.
Old    tommyadrian5            11-21-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
Merc Vs. Volvo issue, never heard of it.

Wakeboard boats, as far as I know, don't have volvo engines. That's what I think of the issue
Old    bobbymucic            11-21-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Back when I had an i/0 and visited discussion boards related to them, the impression that I got was that the volvo outdrives were smoother shifting than the merc alpha drive. Besides that, I didn't read too much controversy.
I do believe volvo has been making marine engines for a long time, and the sterndirve is similar to the OMC?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-21-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
I use both everyday at work and personally i would buy a volvo for a few reasons, the biggest of which are the smoothness, and the performance, we have run identical boats with the various drives side by side and the volvos always outperform the mercs...Still one thing that benefits the mercs is the name, some people won't buy anything else
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
I think volvo bought OMC or something like that, then they came up with the Volvo sx cobra stern.
Old    walt            11-21-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
The Volvo is Smoother and much stronger. Check out the Volvo Duo Prop its the best out drive made.
Old    wildman240            11-24-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
I'm assuming your talking about Volvo Penta motors for I/O boats. I just bought a 24' Cobalt at the end of July last year and debated between the Merc. or Volvo and ended up getting the Volvo for a few reasons. The Volvo is much better against corresion and has a better turning radius and shifts smoother. From what I have learned is that Volvo was the first to come out with the duoprop design and merc. copied it so closely that they couldn't even release their version til the patent was up on the volvo in like '89 I think. Don't qoute me on the years but it was really close the way they copied the design. I would go with Volvo penta and they are cheaper. Love mine and the way it shifts is just so smooth. I've driven boats with both and there just isn't a comparison. Thanks
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-25-2003, 6:02 AM Reply   
chris, wich stern does your cobalt have??
what about the Volvo sx cobra? have anyone tried them?
Old    wildman240            11-25-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have the 8.1 Gi DP Volvo. The 496 Mag MPI BravoIII Merc. Version. It puts out 375HP and is duoprop. I haven't tried that SX Cobra out or heard of it what's it on? Is that just the standard 1 prop. stern or what? Like the Merc. Alpha drive? Thanks
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-26-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
yes, it's a 1 prop stern, but seems much bigger than a regular alpha 1
Old    wildman240            11-26-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
You got me there. I don't really know much about them, I mean I can always do some looking and reading and find out whatever. Are you looking for something specific or have questions or what?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-28-2003, 5:03 AM Reply   
i just wanted to know wich was your opinion as consumers abot the two brands, i have heard that in USA there's some kind of rejection towards Volvo sterns because they are not made there.
And Mercury posted (i dont know if it's still there) a pretty shameful adv in their site against "their competitor", wich they even call volvo, or sx stern in some line. It seemed to me like a pretty desperate move to keep customers.
Old    bambamski            11-28-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Have owned both in the past. The volvo was better in every category. The only thing that Merc had on it was places I could get them serviced. At the time it was about 6 to 1 for shops that would work on Volvo vs the Merc. However the Merc had way more problems with it some maybe they needed more dealers and shops to fix them?
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2003, 8:06 PM Reply   
Okay, Luciano, if you want a rebuttal to your trash talking, here it is. The U.S. has the largest negative trade balance in the world. Americans buy products from all over the world in unimaginable quantities, and there's no "rejection" of Volvo outdrives because they're made elsewhere. I don't know where you "heard" that, but it's totally bogus.

As for Mercury's site, you obviously have access to the web. How hard would it be to check the facts before you post speculation and innuendo? Better yet, why not post the address so we can judge for ourselves whether it is "lame"? Tell you what--I'll save you the trouble; here it is: http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercruiser_volvo

It took me about a minute find the page. Far from being "shameful," Mercury simply rebuts the many claims that Volvo makes in their materials about Mercruisers. What's wrong with that? It looks to me like it's Volvo that's relying on trash-talking, not Mercury. How is telling the other side of the story a sign of desparation?

The fact is, Mercury stern drives far outnumber Volvo Pentas, and for a variety of reasons--not least of which is the fact that the two best- selling sterndrive brands in the U.S. are owned by the same parent company as Mercury Marine.

Sure, Volvos have some good features, but that's hardly a basis for your bashing the other brand. Isn't enough that you like your Volvo?
Old    wildman240            11-28-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
WHOA buddy slow down. You work for merc. or just go around sticking up for people in posts. Sorry he offened you, he's just asking some questions and opinions. Maybe he didn't want to look it up and had just heard something. That's what these places are for to see and hear what others have to say. Of course anything you read can be taken many ways. It's OK it didn't sound like he was bashing much just asking what we thought.
Old    skionone            11-29-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
If Merc feels so strong that they have the superior motor, than it should be a no brainer to offer the same or better warranty than Volvo.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-29-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
Well, im poor and had to buy an 84 Century I/O a few years ago. My mechanic told me that the Pentas in that era are just crap. I don't know what the story is on new ones, but definately mid to late 80's both Cobras and Pentas are junk. The boat ran great and never had any problems. Just put in an elcectronic ignition, $150 and did it myself. Actually sold the boat after twon summers for $1000 profit. Mercs hold their value.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
Chris, If you believe Luciano really just wants to gather information, that's fine. I think he's taking unfair shots at a company (and American consumers). I responded.

And no, I don't have any connection with Mercury. If I were buying a new sterndrive, I'd consider a Volvo if I had a choice. If I were buying a used boat, however, I'd lean toward Mercruiser because it's much easier to find a mechanic and there's a lot more competition among them. Plus, I could buy a brand new Alpha 1 for $3495, versus paying $5995 for a Volvo.

Bill, the warrany argument is simplistic. Companies are in business to make money, and warranties are just one of several marketing tools. They are set based on cost/benefit analyses. If the automotive industry is any example, companies often use warranties to build market share or to bolster negative reputations by trying to create an aura of quality. I honestly don't know which is the case for Volvo.

Or, do you think a Kia really is better than a Camry because it has a much longer warranty?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-29-2003, 5:46 PM Reply   
first of all, my intention with the post was to know your opinions, second, it was NOT my intention to annoy anyone and less to insult you americans as consumers, i even would find it clever from you to buy home made products, wich keeps your inner enconomy active.
about not posting the address, i was just lazy, but as i can see now, if you were that intereted in the topic you could look it up for yourselves, just as you did.
I read that a few months ago, and i remember searching on the Volvo web for something similar and i did not, so i dont know of wich "trash talkin" from volvo are you talking about, but then again.. if you find it and it's really from volvo, please post the link.
yes i do own a volvo 280 aq stern, an VERY old one, and it's my first stern so i can not compare, i see that shifts are smoother in it than even on the newer mercs, but it has many flaws that belongs to old sterns (reverse, noise, no trim etc). I'm really happy with it, though i would have prefered to get a boat with a velvet V-drive.
other question is, anyone has a 20 years merc stern that still functions?

Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-30-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
I would think operating hours is a more relevant measurement of durability than age. Nevertheless, in answer to your question, my friend's 1980 Cobalt has a 350 Mercruiser sterndrive that's still going strong.

As for the claims that Mercury responds to in its website, I've seen them on Volvo posters at boat shows and boat dealers.
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-01-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
The only thing I can say on this subject is what mechanics have told me from 2 of our local shops--They say that both are good but if you had to rebuild or replace the drive (talking about single prop). The VOLVO SX is less labor intensive which leads to lower repair bills if there is a problem.

I should probably tell all that I have a VOLVO that came on my 17' Four Winns--Four Winns was the only manufacturer to offer a 6 cylinder on that short of a boat that is sold in our area and it happen to come with the VOLVO SX.

We only put 150 hrs on it this last season--but not one problem.

just my 2 cents
Old    buttskimmer            12-09-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think you guys are comparing apples and oranges when you talk about an Alpha & Volvo SX. The real comparison is with Mercs Bravo drive. The Alpha is an old design (70's) that has been updated as well as it could be over the years. Its raw water pump is in the leg - 250 bucks to change as the leg needs to be dropped. Volvos is on the front of the harmonic balancer just like the Bravos. The volvo unit will stay up when it hits something unlike the bravo that comes back down for another lick - I own a Volvo and have first hand knowledge of this. My wife doesn't know anything about boats or mechanics - so when we went in to buy a boat i thought it was a very cute comment she made - the dealer had two exact same boats next to each other, the only difference was Volvo sx & alpha drives. She told me and the salesman she wanted the volvo because look how much bigger & beefer it is.
There isn't much difference between Bravo & SX other than the shear pin inside the volvos drive that breaks instead of twisting your prop shaft - or is it the strength and cut on the gears that makes it better. Volvo has kept Merc on its toes for years now. Go to
www.goboatingmag.com and ask those guys. Watch out for DP GUY.
~S~
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-16-2003, 4:00 AM Reply   
im no expert on volvo but i think ill take my newer style merc prop hub over something inside the outdrive needing replacement on the water if you hit something. I just carry a spare hub insert and prop wrench. As far as the alpha being an old design i geuss you could say the ford explorer is an old design too since maybe one part fits the newer and older ones (about like the alpha gen+ and the older alphas). I will agree the merc is louder going in gear then the volvo but then again a diesel sounds like its going to ping itself to death or at least melt down a few pistons?? Besides merc was the first I/O PP had a cable for so theres no contest :-)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-16-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
lexus1
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-16-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Psyclone, now thats just not playing fair!!!! Dont be comparing your diamonds to my cubic zirconia.
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-16-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
BOB-
Are you talking about if you hit something --you only have to change the prop. and not the entire hub as well?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-17-2003, 5:59 AM Reply   
I beliebe volvo has that sistem too now, in their new line of sterns, wich by the way seem taken from a sf movie