Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    cgbaker10            03-22-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
Hyperlite has been around the longest and has the biggest name these days.Do you think the Gator boards will be as big of a seller by this time next year?
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
MAYBE NOT NEXT YEAR, BUT THEY ARE DEFINATLY GETTING MORE AND MORE POPULAR..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
They'd better get some investors...I'm not sure if Gator's parents will keep funding this "project."
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-23-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
That was a pretty silly comment Joe. Stick to what you know. You shouldn't make comments like that when they are completely false.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-23-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
They need to come out with more size options. I don't understand how so many of these company's have only one board size option. It might be the size the pro is riding, but not all of us are their weight.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
They are many years away from a HL size market share.

My local dealer is picking up Gator. I'll get to ride them soon!!
Old    bross            03-23-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Gator has plenty of finnancial backing. His team is great. His image is new and different. I ride a Gonzales 138 and it is a better board than my old Hyperlite Premier. I like being part of the new movement. Also, check out the 2005 graphics on the Gonzales. Sweet!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Solo, settle down, dude. Just cause some of us don't follow pros around, doesn't mean we don't know jack.

Why were you so offended? I'm not talking smack. I'm simply commenting, that they should get some investors, other than his parents. Not once did I say they sucked, or they're goin' out of business, etc.

It's a well known fact that his parents funded the company. If that's wrong info, make the correction, rather than being an ass and taking shots at people, like you did above.

Brian, all I was saying was that Gator needed more investors than just his parents. Judging by your post, they do. That's cool 'cause that's what they're going to need to further succeed.

(Message edited by dakid on March 23, 2004)
Old     (gbphantom)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-23-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
GB only started last year really. They made boards previous to that, but they only expanded operations. They can't have 5000 molds to suit every rider in the world. Give them time, they are going to continue to push and shove this market around.

The Gonzo graphics are sick...
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-23-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
where can I see the graphics on the '04 Gonzales?
Old    bross            03-23-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Here are the 2004 graphics my board (white) and the 2005 graphics (black). The board is the same. Just different colors.
Gonzo 04
Gonzo 05
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-23-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
where'd you get that pic dude? what does the vandall board look like?
Old    leslisa            03-23-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
Hey - that's my board . I was just out riding it this weekend (without the center fin). It was really incredible. I would attach a pic of my board, but your pics are better. Mine are of my actual board.

I like my Gator better than my Hyperlite. Did I mention that Gator was super, super nice when I met him??? Not that this would be why I would buy a board, but it is nice to know who you are dealing with.

I don't think the board will make me a better rider, but I prefer the bigger 138 to the smaller 131 I bought before. I like them both, but one is easier to land (138) so I don't face plant as much. The other makes surface tricks more attainable (131) because it is smaller/lighter.

Joe - How are things in Cali? I might be there in two weeks on business. I'm going to be in Milpitas, I think that's about 5 hours from where you are located? Let me know.

Lisa
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-23-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
nevermind I found it. I still want to know what the Vandall's looks like though.
Old    maverick_gear            03-23-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
Joe i agree with solo. Gators dad makes more money in one year than kent sports is worth in entirety. not that this is a pissing match but gators dad is completely DFTC he is probably saving himself a of money by funding GB, its an investment not only in money but in his son and daughter and thats the important factor its one thing to be joe blow investor and expect that you get some huge return Gators dads return is the success of his kids and their happiness, not to mention furthering a sport he himself likes. I believe that GB is here to stay and will be taking a major market share from LF and hype in the next couple years.

As far as shapes go With Robb Hyatt now playing a major roll in the company you will see everything get a little more organized and more things get done on the R&D/ production side. already Bisch has been added to run the fully committed tour Rusty Joinin the team and the new ricky shapes are happenin.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-23-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
I just like taking shots at you Joe, you should know that by now....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Maverick,

I wasn't suggesting that Gator isn't going to last. If anything, I want them to succeed, which is why I said they need to get more investors. Sorry for the confusion.

I know Gator's dad is loaded. That's cool. But, family is family, but business is business.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-23-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
It seems like things are going well for Gator Boards right now. I would like to see them stick around long term. They have a good start and Joe is probably right about them needing to find some more investors.

What ever happened to Origin by the way? I thought they were doing well, now I don't see them in the 2004 lineup.

(Message edited by cws_kahuna on March 23, 2004)
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-23-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
for those that didnt know the gonzales board is the exact same as the 03 premier but in a 138
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-23-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
JONB please do not start this again the G is not a copy of the premier actually the premier is a copy of a badass board. The G was designed by herbie himself so it is similar because of who was desgning the three. Please get your facts straight before you speak on something.
ITCH
GB
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-23-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
sorry itch, that is what my local boardshop said that sells both boards
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-23-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
who cares, Gator boards will soon start to take over!! The sign new riders ever couple of months and they are working non-stop to bring boards for every size of rider! Mr Gator "funded by his dad or not" knows what he is doing an where he wants to go with this company!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2004, 6:42 PM Reply   
I agree with Gator knowing where he wants to go and all, but "take over," I highly doubt that. Gator Boards will be fine...their boards will speak for themselves. If you like their boards, have fun riding it and spread the word. Don't worry about the rest, how big they're going to be or that they're going to "take over."

FYI, I saw the Gonzales at the factory, and it looks A LOT like the Premier, which coincidentally is a design that was stolen by Hyperlite from the original BadAss, Herbie Fletcher. I'm not starting that crap again, but it's a fact.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-23-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
No prob jon it just seems like every couple of months someone starts this up then one of us has to defend GB.
Zach I like the idea but lets just take it slow then HL wont ever expect it stealth baby.
ITCH
GB
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 5:42 AM Reply   
I guess "taking over" might not have been the best way to put that! Joe, how long till the 05 is ready to roll? Sorry if I affended anyone!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2004, 5:48 AM Reply   
Since both Gonzalez board graphics are up in the thread, and we are sort of on the topic of Gator Boards. I was just curious what people thought of the black make-over for 2005?
Personally I prefere the white graphics.
Old    klk            03-24-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
well, i think the idustry will slowly change once people realize that hyperlite is talked up a lot better than it actualy is. Not saying its bad. What i am saying is a lot of dealers where i am from have only heard about hyperlite, because an un-named rep blows smoke up their butts about hyperlite and keeps them from knowing any other products, and thats why in my area people think hyperlite is the best. Most, of the people i know when asked about wakeboarding only know the hyperlite brand name, and thats the power that hyperlite holds for now, but it will change, just slowly.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
Now that sounds like an AWESOME sales rep. I would like to hire that HL rep to work for me. If he can keep the customers from even knowing about the competitors products, then he is THE MAN!

Old    wakedad            03-24-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Richard B. - I believe Origin is now part of Joyride. I don't know the whole story.
Old    makewake            03-24-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
I understand that Gator's boards are built in Auburn, WA in the same factory as Triton Sports (Blindside, Doubleup, Kidder, etc). Since they don't have to worry about the overhead of having their own factory, controlling supply-chain, etc, they can invest more into marketing and other important aspects of their business. They're probably running allot more lean than most board companies that try to make a big splash. I am totally into the new movement away from Hyperlite myself, I don't want to get caught up in all the marketing hype, would rather ride a great board like the Gator 138, which I just bought from vmwake.com last month.
Old    dinker            03-24-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
Why does everyone bash hyperlite?They put out some of the best products out there and on top of that look at their team its amazing Shaun Murray,Scott Byerly,Parks Bonifay,Danny Harf,Chad Sharpe,Erick Ruck,Brian Grubb,J.D Webb,come on with names like that you know they are putting out the best products. They have the top riders in the world, but yet everyone tries to find something to rip on them about I was just wondering why?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-24-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
JMS Joyride acquired Origin last year.
Old    vandal            03-24-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Hyperlite has such a huge head-start on GB that Gator will never put out HL numbers. I suspect it isn't GB's intention to get as big as Hype either. Too much to lose being that big of a company. No, I think Gator and everyone who is involved with GB is very happy with their current progress and product selection. One thing you can count on for sure is that Gator is a straight shooter and every shape he puts out on the market performs well and isn't full of gimmicky BS in order to sell the line. They just flat out perform great and I dont believe there is another board company out there that has GB's performance quality across the entire product line.
Old    blindsiderider            03-24-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
"with names like that you know they are putting out the best products"

They have the top riders in the world for 2 reasons:

1. They only sponser you if you are top rider in the world. (so much for the up and coming)

2.The riders that ride for them would ride for "lame board" if they paid them right.

I am not sure that the team riders effect my choice in a board.

Hey just my 2 Cents.
I do have 04 Byerlys on my Blindside board because I like Blindside but their Bindings need help..
Old    dinker            03-24-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
yeah well what about j.d webb?hes an up and comming and shaun murray wasnt the best when he first signed with them back when he first started neither was harf or ruck so i wouldnt say they only sign you if you are the best rider in the world those guys have come out and proven themselves to be the best after they signed
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Shaun Murray was considered as one of the best when he signed with Hyperlite. You don't give someone a signature board if he wasn't one of the best.

FYI, just 'cause you have some of the best riders riding for you, doesn't mean you have the best products...it means you can pay them more than anyone else can.

I wasn't rippin' on Hyperlite's products. They put out good boards and bindings. It's their business practice I question.

(Message edited by dakid on March 24, 2004)
Old    dinker            03-24-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
shaun wasnt considered the best when he signed he may have been considered good but thats when shapiro was still riding hyperlite and was the top guy and i wasnt saying you ive heard alot of people rip on hyperlite if you have the best riders then you are probably going to put out one of the best products out there im not just saying hyperlite is the only way to go but i think alot of other companies are good but i just dont understand why people rip on a certain company more then others and why would you question their business practice?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I think you missed this...

"You don't give someone a signature board if he wasn't one of the best."

As for why question their business practice, I do it because I can, and people should.
Old    dinker            03-24-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
man dude chill out!ok then so why would people rip on hyperlite? "you dont give someone a signature board if he wasnt one of the best"yeah no kidding i know that! then why do people rip on hyperlite is my question i think you are the one that missed it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
Just because they have some very good riders does not automatically mean they make the best product. Some very small companies (in comparison) make excellent boards. I'm really stoked on these companies because they are pushing the envelope, like Origin and their Slider Base. It's all about stepping up and doing new things, Hyperlite has done this as well in the past but is largely overrated and often credited with the advent of modern wakeboarding. If you limit yourself to Hyperlite you are keeping yourself from some very good products, there is no reason to do this. People have a one track mind and see their pro riders and are blinded by the fact that they ride well on them so I should too. I love the way Murray rides but I don't have a style that would appreciate his Temet, I liked his Motive but it needed more. i now ride a CWB Absolute becuase it has the features I like, molded fins, thin rails, center spine, mild hooked rail(could use a little more). I could care less who made it as long as it's got the features I like in a ride. Here's to progression and an open mind.
Old    blindsiderider            03-24-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
I think that people bash the other brand because they can. You know the old saying it is lonely at the top. Everyone has there opinion that is why hyperlite makes so many differant boards and sizes. But as far as saying that there stuff must be good because of the team riders I think is wrong.

Plus do you really think that the board that parks ride is the exact same board you get off the shelf?

one of my very good friends is a Palmer snowboard Team rider and if you buy his promodel board it looks exactly the same on the outside. but the board he rides on the core is built stiffer for him because that is how he likes it.
so I wonder if this is true for wakeboards as well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
I rip on Hyperlite because they stole a board design and called it their own.

Dude, I am chill. From the looks of things, you're the one getting defensive...about a board company, of all things.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
I think that both companies are jsut going to keep getting stronger. Thats really the best part, Gator boards has promise, thats why we are all talking about them right now, right!! HL knows that and I am sure they are going to work even harder to put out better boards. I can't really think of anything better?
Old    dinker            03-24-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
hey just to let you know tony yeah i think for the most part the pros ride what you see on the shelf i was at the pro tour and watched parks break his board and he went over to one off the tents picked up one of his boards and rode after he signed it and gave it to the shop same thing with brett eisenhauer he rides a jobe but broke his and had to grab a premier cause no one had jobes but that was a board he use to ride and by the way im not saying hyperlite is the only boards to ride i had a cwb im just asking why alot of people bash them and joe there is alot of companies that steal board designs from eachother
Old    evo900            03-24-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
zach(Kik) how is that fake tige going??
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-24-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Hi all i'm new here.
seems to me hyperlite does put out some of the best stuff, and wouldn't that make sense since they have been making boards for quite some time. I had a question though, how come they stopped making Honey Comb boards, from what i have heard it is a lot easier to break the DNA models?
as for gator its pretty new to the market so we will have to just wait and see in my opin.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 5:34 PM Reply   
Jesse Steal? Name one, many companys might copy the idea but paul had a agreement with herbie and he broke it. Then made boards for his own profit that my friend is breaking a contract and stealing.All this after herbie helped shape of hypes other boards. There are plenty of other under handed behind the scenes things that have gone down. Just keep in mind karma is a bitch. Gator Boards has no plans on putting Hyperlite out of buisness we want to provide a good company that makes great boards the whole entire quiver.
ITCH
Advanceing wakeboarding not worred about the bs.
GATOR BOARDS
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
does anybody know if the Harris is getting a new look? if so where i can see it
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Randy will have a new board but its still in development, so it will be awhile.
Have you seen the harris why would it need a new look I know its not for everyone but that graphic is sick. As far a new graphic I have heard nothing Mav?
ITCH
gb
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
ya im just not a fan of that graphic but i have heard only good things about the board. have you ridden most of the GB line up?
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 5:45 PM Reply   
ya the graphic just isnt for me but i heard the board is sick. have you riden the whole GB line up?
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
well yeah i have the vandall is a beauty it rides smooth excellerates just right and has unbelieveeable pop. Do you have a near by shop that has a demo program?
ITCH
gb
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
YA I WORK AT A SHOP BUT WE DONT CARRY GB. IM WORKIN ON THAT THOUGH
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
where you at my friend maybe I can get ya a board to convince the higher ups?
ITCH
GB
Old    maverick_gear            03-25-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Ya the Randy is a siiick board, the graphic is definetly not for me or most people tho, i think randy is getting a smaller board pretty soon but he likes that same shape hes No B*LL$H!T hopefully a 137. ideally there will be a 137 and 143 out both with new paint for expo 04/05 release. i have ridden every GB board and they are all really really good its just a matter of finding the one you like. with time the brand will get more organized and new shapes will be out in multiple sizes in an organized fashion its all slow and steady growth and i definetly think we will see GB get up to the top 3 brands its new and different and BaDass
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
im out of nor cal my shop is in san rafael
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-25-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
yea send the dan a gonzalez board so i can demo it!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
I like the bottom graphic on the Vandall, but the top is hideous. I don't know what year it was but I know it was one year he was with Thruster. White top, gold chain with cross pendant, and it said WSR in gold and purple I think. That was one of the best graphics ever made. Does anyone still have that board?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thane it was 2001, can't find a pic right now. I know a few people in Canada that have (or atleast used to have) that board in their collection. I don't think to many were made because they went out of business.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
found them, here are the two colours thane

image/x-jg
thr0101.jpg (3.2 k)

(Message edited by kristian on March 25, 2004)
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'm not saying that they stole it but the grom boards for GB look identical to the grom boards for Doubleup. And since i heard on this thread that their boards are made at Triton sports factory it would make sense. Maybe they paid Triton for the use of one of their molds. Anyone Know for sure
Old    maverick_gear            03-25-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
ya Triton Hooked us up with our graphics on some of there little shapes so we could get some ill kids boards out this year. some people don't really like the Idea but its totally cool now even the little bros and smaller ladies can join the GB Movement
Old    martini            03-25-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
i rode randalls gator pro model last year...i still own the board, but it sits in my office cause i really like the graphics...however, i'm back ridding my '02 141 o'brien harris pro model because i like the way it rides more than the gator...it's a very similar shape, but, the gator just doesn't ride the same for me...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thane, I'm pretty sure that board is hard to come by. I was looking for it a couple of years ago and I came out unsuccessful. I even contacted thruster and they were completely sold out of those decks but they wanted to try and hook me up with a more recent board...I don't think those ever came out.

Anyway, I even asked someone if he could see if randy had one to sell, and he said that randy broke all of his.

But that is one of my favorite graphics too. I'm sorry but the GB graf is cheesy.
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-25-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
i thought gb was out of naples, florida.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
tige (tigeboatsinc)
We are out of Naples that is where our main office and warehouse is, but triton presses our boards for us and they are on the left coast.
Itch
GB
Old    makewake            03-25-2004, 10:10 PM Reply   
This needs to be said: Everyone makes a good board these days, it’s about your individualism. Most of the manufactures use the same process in building their boards, many are manufactured in the same factories (triton sports = blindside, double up and gator), and for years the same little company in the Pacific Northwest made everyone’s molds. CWB actually designs and makes their own molds, which set them apart from their competitors.

There are people who love to go their own way, which is a demographic that Gator best targets. Point in case, look at Ricky G, he’s a perfect example of going ones own way. Hyperlite does one thing better than anyone in the industry and that is MARKETING – love or hate’em! Who cares who rides for them, it’s all about getting paid and the promise of having your own signature board. I think people look at Hyperlite as a big corporate vehicle for making the big’ol $$, when the smaller companies are more vested in the sport and progression of the industry.

Two of the worlds most accomplished riders - men and women (darrin and dallas), are with Obrien, which probably has the lowest brand recognition in the industry.

Finially my point.. ride what you love and love to ride!!