Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Just started wakesurfing this past summer on my buddy's Yamaha 212X. The wake is not as big as some of the wakes I've seen with the tige, mastercraft, etc..., but we still have a lot of fun. We are all older in our 30's and 40's with kids.

Looking for a wakeboard boat for the family. We usually have two families on our boat when we go out. We have a deck boat right now, still trying to talk the wife into making the switch. What boats are best for wakesuring, that can still accommodate a family or two with storage. We wakeboard and wakeskate too, but now that we've gotten a taste of wakesurfing, I think I've only strapped on a wakeboard once in the past two months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-11-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
I would go with an MB. Great boats... and what kid or wife wants to sit around while you fiddle with filling and emptying sacs. MBs fill and drain in 90 seconds. mbsports.net
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Supreme for sure - compare it to anything else for the money - best boat for sure! If you are on the westcoast check me out at www.hillsidemotomarine.com - Thanks and Good Luck
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
We caught the surfing bug after we bought our Tige 22Ve 2 years ago. Nice surfable wake with as little as 700#'s, and get awesome as you add more. This can be ballast or people. The boat is great for any water sport you want to do, or just cruise the lake or drop anchor and relax. The quality/comfort of the ride is one of the things that put Tige at the top of the list for us, you cant beat it, period. Rated for 14 people and it's not uncommon for us to spend a day on the lake with 10-11. Lots of storage. Tige makes a great family boat that will hold it's own with any other towboat.

www.tige.com or www.tigeowners.com

Check them all out including getting a pull behind one.
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-12-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Hi Nikko I have to say that I am a Centurion dealer to start with. with that said the Centurion Enzo is the bomb. It is the only boat out there that was specificlly designed to create a surf wave. I would suggest trying any boat that you are interested before a purchase. Actually riding behind them will make your decision really easy. Here are some sites that you may check out. These are sites from pepople that use or sell Centurion. www.wakeoutlaws.com www. inlandsurfer.com, www.mmwatersports.com, www.phase5boards.com.

Good look in your search
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
Sangers throw an insane wave. I have the V215 and next time around I'll be going with the V237 do some searches and you'll see how insane the wave can be. The nice thing is it's equally as nice on both sides of the boat where as a lot of boats require entirely different set ups from one side to the next.
Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuCCwFEt24g

Back when I still sucked.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Been discussed many times. Tell us what dealers are by you will help narrow down the search. I'm partial to Centurion as I think it's a great bang for the buck and gotta have snap out carpet.

Price range???

I'd like to look at Sangers if they were around me. I love the idea of the MB ballast filling up in seconds and I think it's the way of the future. Lot of options. Good luck

Post some pics of the Yamaha Jet Boat as I'd love to see the wave 2 jet engines could make!

(Message edited by sailing216 on September 13, 2008)
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I have an 05' Centurion Enzo and will be switching to an X-80 next season. Nothing against the Centurion though. It does throw a sick wave on the port side. Starboard side takes a lot of work and weight.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Wow, everybody has a different opinion. I'm guessing all these boats are good. MB, Mastercraft, Tige, Sanger, Centurion and Supreme. Do all of them have good wakes on both sides, and do they all require extra sacs? Do most dealers let you take them out for test rides? My friend bought his w/o testing it, and I think he is a little disappointed in the wake behind the Yamaha.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-13-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
First of all I am a Supreme dealer - I would never sell a boat without letting the customer drive it, ride it, surf it, or do whatever it is that they want to do on the water. Like Joe B mentioned your dealer support is just as important as the boat itself. We sell boats all over the Western US and Supreme as well as there dealer network backs every one.

I am going on three Supreme(s) (V220, V232, and my new V226 Pickle is on its way) and the surf is awesome with stock ballast, but depending on how far you get into the sport - the more weight the better.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
The main reason I am switching to the x-80 is that it has dual props and I am the only goofy foot in my crew. We took my buddy's x-80 out and the wake was easy to make on both sides with the right weight. Like I said, we can make a very good port side wake but it is very difficult to make a good starboard side surf wake consistently. Here is a pic of my port side wake.

Upload
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Does the Supreme have a good wake on both sides? Where is your dealership? Are Moomba's good, I've heard they are not that expensive. Would anybody ever buy a used boat? I hear you are just buying someone else's problems, and you never really know what happened to it. Any truth to that?

That looks like a great wake, but I am also goofy. I don't even think we've really experienced true wakesurfing as the wake I am in is usually pretty mushy and I'm having to keep the rope out there, because after I go up and down or slide on the wake, I'm having to pull myself back. We don't get a wake nearly the size of the one in this picture, which is why I am in the market now.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-13-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
I can get a surfable wake on both sides of my Supreme V 212 with the built-in ballast on surf side full,a 300lb sac on the surf side seat,and 2 people in the boat.Look at the Surfin' Cleveland thread to see a shot of goofy side wake.It's not a great pict of the wake,looks smaller than it is.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on September 13, 2008)
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-13-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
We are located in the Northbay (Cali) and the surf is always better on the port side due to prop rotation, but I have goofy riders in my boat everyday - we just adjust for the starboard side. Here is a pick of my V232 with stock ballast only.

Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
"Wow, everybody has a different opinion. I'm guessing all these boats are good. MB, Mastercraft, Tige, Sanger, Centurion and Supreme. Do all of them have good wakes on both sides, and do they all require extra sacs? Do most dealers let you take them out for test rides? My friend bought his w/o testing it, and I think he is a little disappointed in the wake behind the Yamaha."

The Tige 20V, Z1 and 22Ve are actually surfable with no ballast, but really build a sweet wake when weight is added. If you buy new, I would definitely recommend getting the factory ballast. If you find a used one that catches your eye, all you need is a sac and a pump and you are good to go.

We all surf on the port side and the wake is great. The starboard side is slightly cleaner and requires a little less weight to build.

Lets see if my link work: First pic is a Tige Z1 with zero ballast and only one passenger taking pics.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x101/chpthril/Picture046.jpg

Next is my 22Ve with about 1100#'s and 1 passenger taking pics.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x101/chpthril/IMG_5556.jpg
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
Hmm, got an error Site Skin uploading pictures?

(Message edited by ragboy on September 15, 2008)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
I have a Tige 24Ve. We weight each side the same and go back and forth all the time. I have 6 kids, we all surf, and 2 of us are REG and the rest Goofy.

Here is a picture of my kid's cousin on reg side on a mini longboard, 8ft. This is with only about 1300 lbs ballast, we normally do 1500-1600 now, and so it is a bit bigger. But with our Ve we get good height and good length.

On the goofy side, I have more pics, here are some this weekend, with about 1600 lbs ballast.

Some JUST WAKE images

A few more action shots

We may have slightly different speed and slightly different TAPS (wake plate) settings to help clean up wake, but the 24Ve makes a great wake on both sides.
Old     (bladeaustin)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
Matt builds a nice board!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Yes, RJ is 13 and has been riding a green loogey twin all year, and has also tried the new walker pro model from TWP. He is really liking the new smed we won at norcal comp. RJ is trying to decide on which board for next season. We are looking at IS loogey with quad fin and carbon rail, or maybe new IS, or maybe TWP walker, or maybe a quad smed. Not sure yet.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Hey Robert, how much of that 1600 lbs is stock. That is a huge wake, and it looks like you are surfing well behind the boat. }
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
y, the wake is long and tall. We don't have any stock ballast. We bought our boat without ballast, and it made a nice wakeboarding wake without, just the convex hull and taps. With the convex hull, the boat just sits down in the water, and displaces alot. With 1500 lbs of ballast, it is very difficult to plain with that hull, but if you set taps to 1 or 2, it will plane just fine. Its a great hull design for making a good wake, surf or board.

On the REG side pic above, we are using 2 vdrive sacs in the lockers (400lbs) and then some fat brick sacs, 3 of them on surf side with people. On the Goofy side pics, we are on our newer setup of 16 40lb pop bags. 3 on bottom of each rear locker, 700 of sac on the surf side locker, and 10 pop bags on surf side under side seat, Plus several people, about 1600lbs.