Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-25-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
how do you wire a 3rd battery
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       10-26-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
What's the set up in your boat now? and what are you powering?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-26-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
I assume you are wiring 3 12vdc batteries together? First, you want to make sure all 3 batteries have similar ratings as far as amp hours go. You want to wire them parallel so you add together the amps, but keep the output at 12 volts. All of the negatives should be connected together and all of the positives, then one of the positives will run to your main supply connection and one of the grounds to your main ground. Make sense?

(Message edited by drknute3 on October 26, 2008)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
There are lots of correct ways to add additional batteries, but IMHO, it's best to add a means of isolating the primary starting battery from your accessory "House" bank by either a manual switch or an electronic device such a the Blue Sea ACR or diode type isolator.
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-26-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
The Set up i am thinking about doing this winter is to run three batteries in parallel with a manual 4 way switch, with the amps connected to the second. But for the third batt i would have a simple cut off switch between the second and third. My thinking is that i will start the day with three fully charged batteries and run the 4 way switch on both but with the third battery cut off. When its time to party i will select the switch to Batt 2 only and close the switch for the third battery and run on the second and third for the tunes. When its time to head out i will select the 4 way switch to 1 only and be good to go. Of coarse the tunes might not work but by then you'll probably be tired of music anyways. When I put the boat up I will charge batts two and three at home, all this so the alternator will not be overloaded.

But what i am not sure of is that if I can safely run a kinetic or stinger battery on the third, I want to do this cause those batts rest at over 13 volts.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-26-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
my set up now is i have 2 batterys with aperko switch the stereo system that going in this winter is 2 kicker 700.5 and a wet sounds sny 4 i dont know if i need a third battery
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-26-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Just wire the third battery to the stereo battery in parallel. This will give you two stereo batteries and one boat battery.

Postive to Positive
Negative to Negative
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-26-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
thanks thats what i'll do