Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hey;
Has anyone heard what the results were of the Wake Surfing events this past weekend at Clear Lake?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
...Bueller?
Old    surfdad            08-22-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
I have some partial info...

In the Boys Amateur Chase Hazen took the win. I don't know about the rest of the podium.

In the Men's Amateur Mike Kozacek won and Austin Day took second (both riding Calibrated boards) Not sure who took third.

Not sure about the Women's Amateur.

In the Women's Open Jessica Oswald took first. the Detzel's sister took second and third, but I can't tell you which one won which :-) And Jennifer Sellers took fourth.

In the Men's Open, I can tell you that the finals came down to Drew Danielo, Jaime Lovett, Kris Cabesas, Josh Sleigh, Ryan Fair and Mark Sher. You can probably guess the finish order :-) Maybe someone has the actual results?

Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
Not to be dissing anyone in particular but I was expecting a lot stronger field.(being the World Championships and all) I personally know of at quite a few people that ride as good as Drew and Jaime that were surprizingly absent, oh well.

(Message edited by caskimmer on August 22, 2006)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
IMO-We need a real tour (minimum of 4-5 stops, not one contest in the spring and another in the fall) where riders "advance" to the Worlds instead of it being a "first-come, first served".
Old    surfdad            08-22-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
What's in a name, Sean? I don't think that anyone associated with the World Wakesurfing Championships makes any representation that it is ONLY the BEST of the BEST participating. It's funny, folks really seem to give this contest a great deal of energy because of it's title. If it were called the Super Gallactic One and Only Wakesurf Championships, we'd all just giggle and enter. :-) It's just a contest and a venue for sponsors to show off their products. All good.

I too, think we need a tour. It would draw more talent and, of course, develop greater participation. The AWSA, of which you need to be a larger part :-), is working on stops in FL, MN, OH, OR, TX and NORCAL and SOCAL...hopefully culminating in a series championship.
Old    surfdad            08-22-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Oh and AL, too.

Mike Armstrong gave me the finishing order for the Men's Open:

Drew 1st, Jamie 2nd, Ryan Fair and Josh Sliegh tied for 3rd, Brandon Roth 4th, and Mark Sher 5th.

I mixed up Brandon Roth and Cabazes.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
yeah, I'll admit I'm a stickler on semantics. I don't know why but it just bugs me when marketing depts. overhype their product. (pretty ironic considering that's what I do, huh)

Old     (chipconrad)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Ha, the Super Gallactic One. Thats great. Im in.
Old    surfdad            08-22-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
I've got you down Chip and which planet are you entering from? We are limiting it to 5 contestants from each planet with a moon. :-)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
A good time was had by all. I really enjoyed spectating my first suffing comp.

Sean,

What's up stranger? Call me sometime. Left you a couple messages. Let's get out and ride!

Jessica,

What did I tell you? Already had you signing autographs before the results came out (I knew, just like the whole fan club I recruited). You are my hero!!

Your coach/trainer

Buzz
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Speaking of semantics should't Brandon Rothe be 5th and Mark Sher 6th
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Sorry about that. Every time you called I was either in Cabo, an airport, or bedridden for 2 weeks with the worst case of seafood poisoning ever-from Cabo. (I went 3 more times this summer)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
I also want to apologize for my rant earlier in this thread. After a little reflection I realize my disappointment was misplaced and should have been directed towards athletes that should have been there but weren't instead of the contest itself.

Old    surfdad            08-24-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
I am thinking about getting a group of folks together to raise some money such that we can send Josh Sleigh to a wakesurfing school to learn how to properly boost air. Don't these pictures evoke feelings of pity? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-24-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
I just wish he could learn to get the board clear of the water. So sad. Won't you please help? Please send all cash donations directly to the Help Josh Learn to Boost Air foundation. :-)

Upload

Upload
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
OMG! That is sad! I can barely get frontside air and he gets huge front and back! DANG. Guess it's not the boat.
Old    4sher            08-24-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
The first and third shots are of him doing a body varial. He takes of back side, grabs the board and switches his fee so he lands switch. IT'S SICK!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
I thought that's what he was doing based on the foot positioning in pic #1. Pretty amazing
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-24-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
How fast are these guys being pulled. I just can't figure out how to get that much are off the lip, but then I am 215lbs and have a crappy board.
Old    4sher            08-24-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
AND, he was riding with a hurt back. He could barely walk after his run. The guy straight-up kills it!
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
Would love to know when this will be televised for those not rich or idle enough to have been able to make it.
Old    surfdad            08-24-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Lifestyles of the Rich AND Idle! :-) I'd keep an eye on MOB Productions, they have some killer clips and JL told me today he was taping all the action at the World's.

http://www.wakesurfmag.com/video_room.html
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Yay Jessica!
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       08-25-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
yeah! boardstock was sick!