Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    heirborn            03-21-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
I need some 6.5" speakers to replace the blown components in my West Marine enclosures.

What 2 way oversized 6.5's would be recommended?

What component system?

Would a 2 way or component be the way to go?

Is anyone familiar with MA Audio?

What is the speed of the average land tortoise?
Old    xtigeman            03-21-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
Best I have found for tower speakers are CDT high definition drivers. I, however, use MB QM 25 tweeters for all of my components and I have not used their tweeters and crossovers.

CDTs are the loudest and have the smoothest clearest midrange of the following list of other speakers I have used in my boat system: MB Quart QSD, MB Quart QM, Focal Poly Kevlar, ID Kevlar cone and Boston Pros. Being the geek that I am, I have the following numbers to back this up: (test off same amp, McIntosh 300 X 2 and at same volume level) CDT 130 dbs, Boston Pros 129 DBs, Focal Kevlar and IDs 128 dbs, the MBs were both around 126 to 127. Might not seem like much, but doubling the power usually gives approximately 3 dbs.

The only 6.5 that I have used that I like better is Dynaudio. Dynaudio is like a sub performance is a 7 inch speaker. They are pricey though and not true 6.5s. The Focals are also larger than 6.5 and require one to enlarge the hole for their baskets to fit.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Doug- You are a geek! But at least you are a well researched geek.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-24-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
Doug would know but the jl line is nice also.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-24-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
Adrie Kodas are very nice too.

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/koda_6.htm

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-24-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
aren't the adires just mid bass drivers?
Old    doubleup1080            03-24-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
Never forget Diamond Audio S600a or s. The Kodas are midbass drivers.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-24-2003, 7:05 PM Reply   
the koda comp set is out now too, i am thinking about trying them since the tweeter has gotten great reviews.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-24-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
I have Diamond S600s in my car, they do sound very nice.

Now the Kodas (components) are out, I'd give those serious concideration. Nothing but rave reviews on them.