Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
OK...I feel sort of stuck in my "comfort zone" for my wakeboarding, and I really noticed it this past weekend more than I have before. I have some things that I can consistently do, and I go out and do them, try my tricks I tend to fall on a time or two, and then I'm tired and stop. I really haven't learned anything new in a long time. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get out of the comfort zone, and learn something NEW for a change.

I don't really push myself anymore, and have ridden at the same level for a number of years. People I ride with generally are usually about my same level, but I can see progression with them and not with myself. Starting to be frustrating...and I need some suggestions on how to get unstuck!

Seems to me like a lot of people get to a certain point and plateau if they don't challenge themselves. What provides you with your challenges? I know there is always more to learn with wakeboarding, but for me anything past where I'm at seems WAY out of reach. Do I need to ride with different people? Look at things a new way?
What are some things you guys have done?
Old    love2wakbrd2000            06-30-2003, 7:45 PM Reply   
Get a bunch of videos (fun ones like WakeTV & instructional ones too) and also have your buddies videotape you - then you can see what you are doing wrong. The other thing is change your group of riders. I used to go with a bunch of girlfriends - always fun, but once I started getting my guy friends to go - it's amazing to watch how FAST they progress & get hooked. They push you to go the next step. Of course, many of them aren't ever on time... but what can you do? Also - spend some quality time taking lessons or go to a week long clinic or something.
Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Yeah...I have a bunch of cool videos that I haven't seen in a while. Mayday used to always get me pumped up about riding.

I'd love to do a lesson or two, but money has been tight cause I'm starting school in the fall, and I am focusing my money there (and on gas money for those that give me pulls ) so I haven't had a lot extra for that sort of thing.

I would really like to meet more people and go ride more, part of it is cause I haven't been riding as much this year, I'm sure. I also know that I only have about five weeks left of summer...classes start soon, I won't have any time to ride once they begin.

Still, I'd like to go away from riding for a while with a positive outlook on it. The absolute love for the sport is there...just gotta get in my groove or somethin!
Old    wakelvr            06-30-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Now featuring at Disco Theater... "How Patty got her groove back!!"

You are wayyyyyyy tooooo harddddd on yourself. So let's tear it up Friday okay? You are going first, and you are not getting back in the boat until you try something new!! And then you can teach me how to wakeboard!

Grooooovy!

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
I know exactly where your coming from, cause im there. I just rode with some people who arent afraid to crash hard and it pushed me to start trying back rolls again, and raleys. Dont try to push the trick too fast, think about the advice youve heard for a certain trick right before you try to throw it and dont be afraid to crash. If your trying new tricks make sure the spotter isnt out to lunch in case something does go wrong.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
Hey Patty, sorry to hear you lost your groove. I have been there, as you know. Wakeboarding got so stale for a while because I rode with my parents who didn't push me, didn't want me to try new stuff for fear that I would get hurt again. I'm stoked about wakeboarding again...why? Because I met someone who is as crazy about the sport as I am, and he comes and rides a LOT. He's not a great rider, but he does the crazy stuff through me (sometimes not a good thing), and pushes me to try new stuff. He get stoked over a tweaked out grab, and nearly jumps out of the boat if I take that grab big and smooth, or better yet, land something new. He knows enough about the sport and how it works that he can identify the little things that I'm doing wrong, and help me correct them.
Best thing of all is that we just sit and talk about wakeboarding, the tricks that he should try, the tricks that I should try. He thinks there is not a trick out there that I can't land, and that pushes me. Knowing that someone believes in me makes me believe in myself. I push him hard, because he has a great awareness on the board and I can see his improvement.
I tend to find that we are hard on ourselves, but in a bad way. We push ourselves so hard that we get discouraged, so then we stop and slide into a comfort zone.
Patty, you know more about wakeboarding than I do. You understand all of the tricks, and if you got out there and had someone who believed in you, pushed you and encouraged you, there isn't a trick that you couldn't do. I just hope that you realize that.
I have always envied you because you rode just for the heck of it, because you loved it. You never had to be better than someone, or impress someone, and I wish more than anything I could have that attitude.
If you happen to rob a bank and get enough money for a plane ticket here, you know the rest is free.
Ok, I think I babbled enough, just find people who get you stoked.
Later
Tiffany
www.wakechicks.com
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
I'm feeling a lot of luv inside this post! Patty you still need to get out on my boat sometime. I'm getting things settled down hopefully and we can hit a sat. on the delta!
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-02-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
Tiff is right on!
We can get amped and push ourselves, but that only carries us so far.
As humans we generally rise to the level of expectations of the people we surround ourselves with. It is like Marines...top notch while in the service, but often when they get out and see that the expectations of regular life is set at a lower level, their performance drops too.

I'm not saying to drop your friends but rather tell them what you expect of yourself - and of them (ie, "I'm gonna do a whirly bird this summer, so don't let me back in the boat without 3 top notch attempts...cool?").
Result:
They will amp you and push you while you try not to let them down with the same old routine.