Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
well i finally got the new ride back together after the rubbing compound, polish, and wax...and i also got my tower back from powder coat. as you can see in the pics, the tower looks maroon and doesn't match AT ALL. thats what i get for trying to be creative. i chose a red/black mixture...the red in the tower actually matches perfectly with the boat...but the black darkens it up and makes it look maroon - as you can see. not sure what to do now...because to remove powder coat...and repowder coat would be expensive - and the wife isn't going for it. Not to mention i don't want to lose any riding time now that it's finally nice here. ANY suggestions on how i can tie that color in...or make it look a little better would be appreciated!!! i'm happy i have a v-drive with a tower these days...but a red boat with a maroon tower??? i don't want to be the laughing stock of wakeworld... HELP!!!

Upload
Upload

Upload

(Message edited by rgilby on May 11, 2006)
Old    bocephus            05-11-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Personally I like it man. Just get a little pin-stripe added to the boat! Tell the wife you wanted it to look that way!
Old    moombarider132            05-11-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
thats still a tight ass boat
Old    moombarider132            05-11-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
do you have any wakepics? how much did you pay for it? at first i thought it was an i/o but then i realized it really is a v drive. i like the look of the boat all around but i definately think you should just go the extra mile and repowder coat the tower red
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I like it also. Just get out there and ride. When you're out there killin' it, nobody will be laughing.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
You might could tie it together with a new 2 tone Bimini top.

But to be honest I think it looks great like it is, go enjoy.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-11-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
agreed. it looks good as is. don't worry about it.
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
thanks guys...i don't have any wake pics yet...i haven't had it in the water... the two tone bimini is a good idea...and i'm probably going to add a maroon looking pin stripe to it as well. i'm taking it to the marina tonight to have it checked out...and will have it out this weekend as long as it's nice. i'll get pics of the wake then.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
it doesn't really stick out that much, don't worry and just enjoy. Remember most people don't even have a boat, they are just riding in a friends boat so who are they to laugh..
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan,
I did powder coating for a few years and if they are telling you they have to remove it to repowdercoat it, this is untrue. They can warm it up in the oven and reshoot it hot, with the new color. Works quite well actually. Hope this helps!
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
i did not know that...hmmm...he's actually a friend - so i'll give him a call and see what he says. i think it would definetely look better in red...but he already charged me next to nothing to do this once and it took them forever to get the old powder coat off to "do it right"...i guess more than anything i feel bad asking him to do it again. i thought he said reheating it weakens the powder coat that's there already...but i could be mistaken.

any ideas on where a good place is to get a custom bimini??
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
what kind of a boat is that i thought it was an i/o
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
nope it's a v-drive. it's actually a bayliner. it was their only attempt at a high performance sport boat, but they quickly learned (so i was told) that for what it cost to make one of these they could make and sell 4 of their regular bowriders so they stopped. pretty rare by the sounds of it...and for a '97 it was definitely a good buy for a v-drive only 9 years old and in this good of shape with a tower and racks and a mirror. the only other way i was gong to get a v-drive was if it was a 89 or 90...so i'm happy!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
I have a friend that has a 98 Wake Challenger. They made them from 96-98. Weighted down they put out a mean wake -- One of my favorites. I liked the wake of this thing better than the first model X-Stars. The wake behind it is VERY comparable to the wake behind my 04 Malibu VLX. You can get into them in the $15k-$20k range -- if you can find them, they're pretty rare. They didn't come stock with a tower.

If only Bayliner knew what they had in 1998, and which direction the market was going.

Sweet boat, man! If I had to do it over, I'd look up and down the coast for one of those or a late 90s Malibu VLX or a MC V205.