Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-09-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
anyone ever had some made?

Ive explored the idea of using gas tanks from overtons, or maybe having a sheet metal shop weld me some.

Im especially desiring some tanks that are very long and narrow, so custom is the name of the game.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-09-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
I have never done it but I thought stainless steel would be cool. The added weight of the material would be a plus. It would defiantly cost some $$$$.
Old    alanp            05-09-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
mike i had stainless built for me. two tanks capable of about 1300 lbs. cost me 350 bucks but i had a great hook up at a metal shop. there is a write up i did for on diytower.net for bill at monster tower. i have some photos around too if you need some ideas.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-10-2006, 4:37 AM Reply   
photos never hurt :-)

so 350 was a deal?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Just star looking up plastic tanks online. When i was searching i found thiscompany that made tanks in virtually any size you could imagine. They could also make tanks to whatever size you wanted.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
a name would be good
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
Just start looking up plastic tanks online. When I was searching I found a company that made tanks in virtually any size you could imagine. They could also make custom tanks to whatever size you wanted.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-10-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Matthew, do you have the name of a company or a link?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I remember someone posting a link but it was a long time ago.

Cool side, you could go through their online catalog or have them build anything custom. Prices were reasonable also.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=4

this is just an example, there are lots of companies that do custom plastic molding; do a search for "plastic tanks" and you will probably find one in your area. If you can find a standard size it will be cheaper.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=11#invlist

one of these should work
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
You could go aluminum, too. It should be cheaper than stainless.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-10-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
I bought a large tank from this outfit a few years ago:

http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

I needed a fresh water tank for my houseboat. Because I was going to sling it under the boat between the pontoons it couldn't be very tall but needed to be long and wide. I ended up buying a tank that was ~8 feet long by 3 feet wide by 9 inches tall. Their catalog listed it as costing $360 but when I actually called up to and ordered it was a lot less, like $280 including the frieght to ship it.

They were great to work with and I got it really fast. They make the basic tank without any fittings and then you specify what fitting you want and where you want it. I just made a sketch and faxed it to them.
I recommend throwing in a few extra fittings. It doesn't cost much to have them add a fitting but it will be a whole lot harder to add one later!
Old    alanp            05-10-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    alanp            05-10-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
the top tank in my front underneath the bow. the bottow photo is my rear tank. ive had a cushion made for the top so it looks like a normal sun deck. rear tank holds about 950 lbs if i remember correctly and the front about 300. id have to read my write to get the exact dims. best thing ive ever done to the boat. the system was super easy to do and relatively cheap. i dont have any pumps for the fill or draining, see diytower for complete explanation.