Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Has anybody been using it if so how do you like it?

I am thinking of upgrading mine.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I have it. 2004 Supreme. Always had problems with paddlewheel with lots of weight... surging etc.. they insisted on using their own paddlewheel not the one that came with Perfect Pass.

Upgraded 3 weeks ago to GPS... and it pulls smooth.. no more surging.

With that in mind... anyone who wants to add Perfect Pass...

Buy yourself the servo motor, throttle linkage and paddlewheel... and you can have my 5 inch round rpm/Perfect Pass gauge and brain for $200...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-10-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Kenny, I've put about 13 hours on my boat since I installed it. Had nothing before and no paddlewheel. Very easy install and it worked really well. I've had a two instances where it froze on some kind of glitch. They don't know what caused it yet, but overall I'm very happy with it. I use my in a mountain lake and I'm farther north so that might make a difference.
It's smooth and consistent through turns and chop.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-10-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Kenny,

There are a few threads on here that talk about the pro's and con's. If you will be ONLY in a lake, then go for it. If you will EVER be in a river, or a lake with a current (Yes, many do), it won't work for you.

I would read them, and then go from there. For the people who have it on lakes, they seem to really like it though.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
i installed mine a few weeks ago. works awesome. no issues.

taking it to lake roosevelt (columbia river) in a few weeks. will be interesting to see how it does.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-10-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
Robb why would it not work with a current? It gives speed of the boat not the current so if anything the paddle wheel would be off with current.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-10-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
When you ride your speed is relative to the water so you need to set speed relative to the water for the boat. Of course, if you spend a minute or less floating, the GPS will give you the exact speed of the current. Then you could adjust your speed up or down that amount and you'd be accurate for that part of a tide or river.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
art, your speed is actually relative to land, which of course is the issue at hand with current. i think the last part of your post is correct though. :-)
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
It works fine in rivers and lakes. If you think you are going against current just bump it up a couple miles an hour. Everyone makes such a big deal about rivers and current but you will not notice any surging. I have had it for 4 months now in my boat. i would recomend this.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
how much will it cost if i decide to install it in my 07 x star
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I would say the GPS is the best option if there is a current. They all have the issue of a current.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-11-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
Mine will be ready to use this weekend. The install is very easy. Dont pay a dealer to do it!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-11-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
wes, I recently talk with the Perfect Pass tech and he said it would cost about $450 including programing it to use in conjunction with the paddle wheel. IMO thats the best of both worlds.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-11-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
$450 if you also have the new in dash guage. If not even more.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Matt, I believe that if you are going against the current, you would actually want to bump it DOWN not up to adjust for water speed (land speed) with the GPS. If you are going with the current you would want to bump it up to compensate.
Old     (spunnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
On the PerfectPass web site, the StarGAZER Wake has a notation at the bottom of the price, (Less for DBW Engines)...what does that mean?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
DBW = Drive by wire. Only Very new boats will have DBW
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-14-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have it and love it. In another thread a guy from perfectpass piped in and said that you could use paddle wheel in conjunction with gps and it would work the stream/tides issue out. I installed mine myself I'm still working out some throttle linkage kinks but it's pretty money thus far.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
scott, i could be wrong, but i think the system that utilizes both requires the older software set with the 3-event package and must be specified at the time you order. that's if i understood the PP guy correctly.