Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-16-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
We're taking my brother and his girlfriend out later today to try wakeboarding. She apparently can't swim - maybe a bit of dog paddling and that's it. She says she is not afraid of the water. Should I be concerned about letting her try? She will be wearing a lifejacket. It's not like she needs to know how to swim. What do you think?
Old    steve2237            08-16-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
Well my dad didnt know how to swim well when we first got our boat three years ago. He said he wasn't afraid of the water, but it seemed like he was. Since he's learned to wakeboard, he can swim better and is a lot more comfortable around the water. In your situation, I think it would be ok to let her try wakeboarding if she wants to, because a uscg approved vest will float you no matter what.
Old    gspl            08-16-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Dog paddling, though not pretty, is still swimming. As long as she's comfortable in the water and doesn't freak out after a wipeout she'll be ok.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
keep talking to her the entire time to distract her from being afraid that she is in the water. I tought a friend of mine to wakeboard and he had never been swimming, and consequently was a little panicky when splashed in the face. also use a USCG vest for sure.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
IMHO - I would try a shallow water start where someone can be right there standing with her - then I'd make sure I had an extra person with a jacket on in the boat in case she gets up and falls later and then panics. How she "thinks" she might react and how she does are two different things. Being comfortable in the water and being dragged under at 20mph when you forget to let go - even if only for a second, can cause you to drink a lot of water. Good luck.
Lloyd
PS I'd make very sure that the life jacket fit her well and was a 4 buckle. (and - yeah - if I could find an adult one with a crotch strap - I'd do that too - lol) - I'd also go for swimming lessons too.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-17-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Well, she went yesterday and she did great! She got up, although she had some balance issues (leaning really far back and still kind of crouched), but it was pretty amazing for someone who can't swim. She is a pretty determined girl, so she wasn't going to let anything stop her from trying.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2003, 11:38 PM Reply   
Shauns dad throwing out the "adult crotch strap"
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-18-2003, 12:56 AM Reply   
I would also make sure that she wears her PFD at all times while on the boat. Anyone that can't swim really needs to be wearing a PFD. Hopefully it'll be an incentive for her to learn how to swim!