Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-17-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
I am moving to Phoenix real soon and was wondering about the water temps during the year in the local lakes. Also any info on where, when to ride would be sweet. Thanks.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-17-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
The lakes are pretty warm right now. Low 60s high 50s in the winter. What part of Phoenix are you moving to? If your moving North youll be closer to Pleasent and Bartlett, East youll be closer to saguaro and canyon.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Saguaro - East of Phoenix - smaller lake, gets busy and get there at 5am if you want to find butter. Too many tubers.

Bartlett - North East of Phoenix - decent size lake, good conditions, bit of a pain to get to. Too many tubers.

Pleasant - North West of Phoenix - big lake, good party scene, conditions ok at start and end of day. Too many tubers.

Powell/Mead - 5 hrs North of Phoenix - worth the drive cos they're the best. Too many tubers.

Saguaro and Bartlett were both upper 80s to low 90s this weekend. Pleasant is lower (I would guess at lower 80s right now). The lowest that Saguaro and Bartlett gets are mid 60s arounf Dec/Jan, you can just about get away with a short wetsuit but a full wetsuit/drysuit are better.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-17-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
Roosevely is great for weekend trips, only 2 hours away and failry uncrowed.
Old    bocephus            07-17-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
This weekend at Barlett I was literally sweating in the water. For me it was the first time I was too hot in the water. I would bet the water was 90 degrees but I really have no idea.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-18-2006, 2:20 AM Reply   
HOLY CRAP! I was expecting warm but i had no idea! The warmest water I have ever riden in was around 78-80. It is going to be North Phoenix, I saw Pleasant was right there. How far up Lake Pleasant Road is the actual launch? We went a little ways up the road when i was there last weekend but never made it all the way up the lake.

Peter Sharp, i love the ending comments on every lake. I think that is a trend that is taking over the nation. I have now seen that problem in the last two states i have lived in.

I have seen the lakes up by Tortilla Flats and they seem like windy oceans all the time. Am I wrong?

Thanks a ton for the feedback! I was bummed about going to be missing out on snowboarding, but now i am stoked about year round wakeboarding!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
How far up Lake Pleasant Road is the actual launch? We went a little ways up the road when i was there last weekend but never made it all the way up the lake.

From the I17 it's about 5 miles to the marina, about 10 miles to the 10 lane ramp on the west side of the lake or about 15 miles to the ramp on the north west of the lake. I would recommend the last of these as it puts you right in at the best part of the lake. Go west from the I17, past the turning for the marina (and then past the dam on your right) and turn right up Hot Springs road. Keep going along there for about 10 miles 'til you get to a T junction and turn rt.

I have seen the lakes up by Tortilla Flats and they seem like windy oceans all the time. Am I wrong?

Dunno where you mean.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-18-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
I've never noticed all tubers he talks about at
bartlett it just gets busy and pleasant is full
of every 4'10" guy with 38' boat.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
From North Phoenix you will want to go to Pleasant or Bartlett. I was at Pleasant yesterday morning until 11 am and the water temp was 86 and hardly anyone in sight. Last Saturday the nice water was gone by 8 am. So if you can avoid the weekends, you will have great water except when the wind blows.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
I've ridden in river's (4-8 feet deep) in Houston, Texas that get close to 100 in spots, during the end of the summer
Old    phx450            07-18-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
This past sunday was amazingly hot. The water was like a bathtub, Until the down pour of rain at 4:00

I must admit it was weird to wakeboard in the rain.

I pretty much only go to Bartlett. Our schedule normally looks like this.

7-9 am wakeboard.
9-10 back for some breakfast.
10-4 out swiming in the no wake, fishing, drinking, lunch etc.
4-dark wakeboard. This is the best time!
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
What is this Lake Titicaca that I read the Phoenix people talk about... How do you get let in on this little gem of a water hole secret?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-20-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
We hit Suguaro this morning but the weather sucked! Should have slept in.... The water was like bath water.

Upload
Upload
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Sweet Dude! Love the tweaks on those, I can't wait to get that good!
Old    bocephus            07-20-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Lake Titicaca is locals only! Sorry, it's a semi-private lake of sorts.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-21-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
I will be local!!!! Bought a house yesturday! In Peoria
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ryan - congrats on the purchase of your new home.

Those are good pics. That indy shifty has tons of style!

I'm heading to Sedona for a week in late October. Anyone still riding at that time? I'm guessing it can't be that cold at that time, considering I'll have only stopped about 2 weeks prior to that where I am (Southern Ontario, Canada).
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I'm heading to Sedona for a week in late October. Anyone still riding at that time? I'm guessing it can't be that cold at that time, considering I'll have only stopped about 2 weeks prior to that where I am (Southern Ontario, Canada).

Yeah easily - water should be down to nice temps by then. Get yourself hooked up with people who ride at Pleasant - it's the closest lake to Sedona (other than Lae Mary nr Flagstaff, but you'd be better off heading towards Phx).
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
lake titicaca....i remember the thread that started in. hahaha
luckily only a few know of it.
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Lake "T" is out towards....
Old    phx450            07-25-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
It seems the water is getting low at this particular lake. I believe i know of which you are talking about(Bocephus). Great this past sunday, it was a ghost town.
Old    bocephus            07-25-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yes, and it's just going to get lower...I'm very glad to see that the water temp went back down this week. Two weeks ago it was like a hot tub, I guess everyone was peeing at the same time or something.
Old    phx450            07-25-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
The water was indeed cooler. When do you guys normally go? I cant seem to get anyone to go out before 9am.
Old    bocephus            07-25-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Ya, it's pretty tough but I literally email everyone in the AZ list and usually at least get three. Last Saturday we had 7 I think.
Old    azmxerr            07-26-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Brady!!!! we are on the water by 530 am every weekend, but you never call !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    phx450            07-26-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Kevin are you going to bartlett? I will start being there 5:30 on the dot. Just dont expect much of a show when i wakeboard.