Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me how tough it is (or even possible) to remove the original style zero-flex tower for storing the boat in a garage? I'm looking at some boats with this tower and apparently they won't fit in my 7' door opening when folded. So I was just wondering if it would even be feasible to remove the entire thing for storing, at least for a few months until I could work something else out.
Thanks!
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-14-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
It may fit. Mine does, but it's kind of tricky. I had to let a bunch of air out of the tires, get the tongue as low as I could, then lift the tower about 12" to 18" above the deck (in the folded position). It was a tight fit but it got in there. I have since removed the trim from the top of my garage. I no longer have to deflate the tires, but I still have to lower the tongue and lift up on the tower.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Wow, sounds interesting! I have a angled driveway so can't really lower the tongue. Can it even be removed??
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-14-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
sounds like a horrible idea to take the tower completely on and off every time you store the boat......
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
I have an 02 X-star and when folded forward it fits in my garage. I have a standard 7 foot garage door and it fits in there without deflating tires. It's tight, but it fits.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
I agree with the idea of taking it on and off everytime out (thanks for pointing that out though!). I'm just talking about a few weeks or so until I get something else.
Bob: is 02' still the old style tower?
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-14-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
I had a knock off of the original zero flex flyer and it took three of us to salfely remove the tower. I can be done with two. The whole thing is cumbersome. I ended up getting a new dimensions tower in 06 then we sold the boat to upgrade. It added value to the boat and made it easier for us to store.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Original
Upload
Next (went thru a few years with different board rack variations...bungee, telescoping, clamping)
Upload
The lastest generation have been relatively the same over the last few years with exception of rear supports (now 'lightning bolts')???

(Message edited by phat in cincy on April 14, 2008)
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Joe FWIW I have an 02 Xstar with same tower as Paul, and i can fit it in 82" tall opening but I fold the tower to the rear and prop it up with a 2x8 with a V cut in it, then when I get in garage I tie it up to a hook on the rafters.Real PITA if you are working on it but at least it is inside
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I can at least get the sucker in the garage then without taking it off.
I was originally thinking of going with the new style but sounds like that would really be pushing it too, unfortunately.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-15-2008, 5:01 AM Reply   
To clarify...this is the latest generation tower only, if I recall correctly, the rear legs have changed over the years.
Upload
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
It's like looking at a visual history of XTP's relationship with Mastercraft haha.

We started building MC towers around 2000 until 2007. We started as the rail style towers you see on the 2000 models. In '04 we started building those towers with the large bow legs and billet aft legs on the X-Star model only as you see below.

Upload

The following year it was the style for all the model lines at MC. We also made the CSX tower in '07 and Gere Marie Inc. took over for them.

I think Gere Marie Inc. only makes MC towers, but not 100%. And that is why you have the lightening bolt.

(Message edited by loudontn on April 15, 2008)