Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (toeside900)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-12-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Ok definately not...how about contacts. I have been riding for over 10 years but this is my first time with contact lenses. Am I ok to ride with them in, or do I need to take them out before I ride? What do you do?
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       06-12-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
all my buddies ride with contacts in.... not sure if thats right or not.... call an optometrist and ask.
Old    justinh            06-12-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
My vision isn't the best, especially in low light. I tried contacts, but the wind bothered them too much.

I had some rec-specs made and they work great. You may look a little goofy, but being able to see is cool.

That said, I know plenty of riders that wear contacts with no problems.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-12-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Never had a problem with contacts in the water. Even have had eyelid peelbacks where my contacts stayed in.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I've opened my eyes underwater, had the lids peeled back, wind and whatever else. they stay in.
Old     (toeside900)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-12-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Cool...thanks for your help. I'll try wearing them while I ride, but will take my glasses so that I can still see to drive home in case I lose my contacts in the lake.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-12-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Same here. No issue with my contacts. Get the right soft lens and you won't even know they are in there.
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-12-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
i wear mine all the time when i ride... if one messes up while i'm up riding i might have to look back to block the wind to get it fixed or something but i wouldn't ride w/o them...

i would definitely suggest (unless you ride in bath water) taking them out at night (as i rarely do this normally) b/c i've been fighting some serious sinus infection this yr from dirty contacts/bad allergies from the frequent trips to gross (and really close) water

i have lost a couple (very rare) and i've gotten somebody else to dive home b/c i feel like i've been at the bar for about 4 hrs when i have one contact in and one out... got smart and started carrying an extra pair in the backpack and glasses just in case one comes out during my last set
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
never hard a problem really, sometimes after a hard fall you kind of have to play with your eye for 30 seconds while riding to see right but its all good.

thats a really good idea about taking them out after riding, i usually leave mine in for a couple weeks at a time, but i think im gonna take them out after lake water.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
These guys can make prescription lenses.
http://www.seaspecs.com/html/specifications.html
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
I rode with contacts all the time, and have had my fair share of spills. With that said, I have also lost my fair share of lenses. I would still ride all day everyday with them in though. This spring I got Lasik, so I would recommend that to everyone, no contacts to lose!!
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
I use to surf in salt water w/contacts. No problem at all, so fresh should be fine. Trust me, if you have poor vision you need contacts to judge distance and clarity. plus you can check out da ladies... I wore contacts for 3o yrs, no joke, I'll be 44 in Aug. also, save some dough for LASIK...I got it done a couple of years ago and its the best thing ever!
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
i just went to the eye doctor the other day and he said to get a box of daily wear jut for the lake because your contacts absorb what they are in.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-12-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
LASIK..... then you don't need the glasses

Rod
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
I ride with dailies in in the delta and have no problems, like everyone else says you may lose one once in ashile so I usually bring a strip w/ me (5), but normally they dont move. But after being in the delta I defintaley take them out and put in fresh ones.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-12-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Lasik shreds, I bought my boat the same day I got mine done. I was talking to my dealer 30 minutes after my surgery and finalized the deal in my hotel room with goggles on. I read my instructions the next day and it said no water sports for 2 or 3 months. That sucked, but I went out anyway, Its all good. No problems here, get rid of the contacts and spend the 800.00, you will not regret it.
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
I'm fine in my contacts, and have never heard of anyone losing them from falls. I don't even know mine are there while I am boarding, so unless they are uncomfortable you'll be fine.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
ONE TIP FOR CONTACTS:

dip you face in the water before you ride. I don't know what it is about water and contacts, but once you get them wet (swimming or showering) they become EXTRA glued to your eye balls. The only contact (on the lake) i have lost was BEFORE i crashed on my first set in a day. the contact came out when a tiny bit of spray hit me in the eye and caused enough twitch to get the contact un-aligned and catch the wind and sail into the drink.

all my friends who wear contacts agree with this idea and feeling about water + contacts

... Sooo... get your face good and wet first
Old     (yo123)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
www.pro-vue.com they make prescription goggles
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-14-2008, 5:22 AM Reply   
All you blind bats!...... Just kidding , I had lasik done about 8 yr ago also.
Old     (north_point_watersports)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-14-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have been riding for well over 10 years with contacts and no problems yet. may have lost 1 or 2 lenses over the years and I do agree with the whole get them wet theory. Lasik coming up for me soon though!
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-15-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Been riding with mine for years with zero issues. Have only lost two, and both times where from some serious bell ringing, body slam type falls.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
I'm as blind as a bat, and cannot feasibly ride without prescription lenses. I frequently hit rails, so I of course prefer to see what I'm actually hitting before I ollie up onto it. My optometrist told me that riding with contacts could cause one to develop an infection or ulcer in the eye due to bacteria that may get trapped in there. However, I've been riding with contacts for 2 1/2 years now and so far so good (knock on wood). While prescription goggles may look dorky, it may be a safer alternative- I should check it out myself.
Old    thebiggmann            06-19-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Man, just don't do an eyes open faceplant... THat hurts really bad with contacts in...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
wish I was a candidate for LASIK. sadly, I deal with somewhat blurry vision with my contacts on the water. what gets me, is I can only wear my contacts for maybe 5-6 hours before my eyes start getting really red and painful. prescription glasses to ride in would be bad a$$ for someone like me. I just would hate to lose them on a nice faceplant.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
the sea specs FLOAT! :-)