Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ok Im not saying start it up and leave it running until you get int the water thats just asking for a cracked head. However it is ok to start it just for a secound. NO LONGER THAN 3-5 SECOUNDs. However for the newer moddle boats and what not I wouldnt do it. Just for the fact that I have confidence that it will start. Now for all the rednecks who like to sit at the dock and fiddle with their boat, that gets quite annoying to me and to other people.

Now I will agree starting a boat out of water is somewhat dangerous, but when done right it will hurt nothing.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-22-2007, 5:30 AM Reply   
Your engine block will be fine for up to a few minutes without water. The impeller and water pump are a different story. If your engine is running, then your impeller is spinning. The longer it spins without water, the more chance it has of being damaged. Even one second is enough to cause damage. If you want to run your boat just to make sure it will start (which I always do myself), use a fake-a-lake or muffs and do it in your driveway before you get to the ramp.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
My pet peeve on the ramps...when the parents leave the kids to hold the boat on the dock. Almost always with no life vests and the boat ends up floating across the lanes where no one can use them. Then the I/O guys who pull out of the water 6 to 8 feet and drain their boats while everyone else waits for them to move.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
got one today... folsom lake... lower low low low ramp at granite 4 lanes... theres a 30 min wait at the ramp to get your boat in the water.. people pulling out got to cut..6 am no wait 12 5 mins wait..

so saw one guy taking up two lanes.. the other boat backing down blocking that guy from getting out.. and one guy that left his transom straps on and could not figure out why the boat would not float.. he figured it out... but i thought it was good... wonder if he remembered the plug??? haha... left before i could find out
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
What really bugs me is people that sit at the dock holding the boat...and blocking the ramp.

After a great day of boating last Sunday we head back to the dock. Husband drops me off to get the trailer and heads back out to wait. I get to the ramp and back down one of the lanes, then a boat pulls up...in the lane I was in...stops at the dock and a guy gets out to get their trailer.

I wait for them to motor out...I guess they did not see the big white truck and trailer backing down the ramp?? Finally I get out and ask nicely for the lady to move the boat around the other side of the dock so we can load. She screams at me saying the "we were here first" and "you have to wait". Uuhhh..excuse me..what??

Needless to say I was not happy. I could have a real b**** about it and finished backing my trailer into the water...yeah, who was here first now?? Luckily the lane on the other side of the dock opened up and I just moved over.

I see that all the time at the ramp...people sitting at the dock holding their boat. Please people learn to drive the boat or back the trailer up. It would save so much time and headaches at the ramp.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
OK this is simple. I really wish that there was a sign telling people no blocking the launch lanes and prepare your boat BEFORE you get to the launch ramp. Very simple, you prepare boat in the "Preparation" area then you launch the boat in the "launch" area and you wait for the person parking the truck in the "Waiting" area. I prep the boat in the prep area then my dad backs the truck in, I drive the boat around and when he is done and ready to board I nose up to the dock and he jumps in,I reverse out and we are on our way. How hard is this. If you dont get it. Then don't go boating because you just lack common sense
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   

quote:

Please people learn to drive the boat or back the trailer up. It would save so much time and headaches at the ramp.

Amen!! Don't show up unless you can help. Don't just be an extra anchor.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-23-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
It seems like the authorities could make rules around the time it takes on the ramp and preping the boat on the ramp instead of the prep area. The ramp would be more efficient (our motive) and they would get to fine people and make money (their motive). People would make more of an effort if they knew it would cost them $50 for not being prepared or blocking a lane for too long.
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-23-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Here is one from this past Sat. on Lake Norman
5 rigs waiting to launch sitting at the ramp 4 lanes to launch. One moron pulls up to dock with a boat towing a jet ski. Ties his boat up to one dock blocking one lane. He then jumps in the water and tries to get his dumb fat a$$ on the jetski blocking another lane. Said lard a$$ pulls jetski up to concrete on ramp because he left rope tied to his boat and untied rope from jetski then proceded to just sit there waiting for wife to bring trailer No wife for about 10 minutes

When me and another guy waiting ask him to please move the jetski in front of his boat to put it on a te trailer he just looked at us funny and said he did not have the key to the Jetski

wife finally gets to dock he puts jetski on trailer argues with her and procedes to ty down jetski at ramp
we launched 5 boats on two ramps by the time this dumb a$$ cleared both ramps
this guy should get the Lake Norman Idiot Award