Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
Jeff and I were getting ready to ride Saturday morning, and as we were loading the boat up these guys pulled in.

boat

We couldn't believe it. This guy had a two inch galvanised pole with a plywood base plate, and tow straps for supports.

The water was glass, and we were having a great time, then... you guessed it, here they come into our area. Power turn left, power turn right,and repeat. When we got back to the dock they were pulling out as well. Jeff gave them the old this is why we don't power turn speech, and suprisingly they were receptive to the logic. They were actually pretty nice guys, just rookie's. We talked to them about boarding, and gear for awhile before they left.

I had to remind myself that we all start somewhere, and that it never hurts to share boarding knowledge, whenever you have an opportunity.
Old    wakechick            10-27-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
That's nice that they were receptive to the logic of NOT power turning. We ran into some guys with a brand new Tige one day, doing the same thing. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes, then we explained to them about turning back into your rollers. They suddenly got on the defense and told us they had been riding for 3 years and knew what they were doing. Hah!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
I saw some amazing boat launch antics this weekend at Sammamish. We had to help out a couple of folks yesterday (jump start, drive their truck straight up the ramp for 5 feet….) It’s that time of year here, the seasonal boaters are pulling their boats off. You know, that twice a year boat launch event for them.

But, the good news is…. The lake is all ours till about May.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-27-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
Where's Power turn Porter when you need him?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-27-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
Cliff,
I've seen them out before by the north east end of Samm. They were moving into the course area when guys were riding and cutting around. It was hard to anticipate what they were going to do. Slightly scketchy. We went over when they finished with a run and talked to them. The listened then then too. I agree nice guys, just no experience. Funny they still have that pole. We suggested spending some money for a safer one.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-27-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
Alright, I hope I don't get flamed for this but what is power turning? I rode and will ride next year on a lake that is pretty empty during the week, but during the weekend it gets packed, so I would like to make sure my etiquette is up to par. Anyways, if someone could fill me in that would be great. Is power turning making a 180 degree turn very fast? And is it poor because it sends huge rollers? Thanks
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-27-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
Power turning usally accures in wakeboarding, when a rider falls, and the boat just makes a hard turn to either direction creating a nice double up wake, this would ruin the glass. to keep the glass just slow the boat down, and idle back to the rider. have fun!
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-27-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
I owned an i.o for a couple years and thought that tow boats (inboards and Vdrives) slowed down to pick up the rider to avoid swamping their boats. I figured I shouldn't be concernd since I had such a high free board. As soon as I got a Tige, I did the stop-turn around-pick up rider method just like I noticed other tow boats do. It took a little practice because if I didn't slow down completely before the turnaround...Lake Smellsomemore (Elsinore) in the bow. I also bought a pylon for our first i/o. The pylon and supports were going to be in such an anoying spot, I couldn't even get up nerve to dril the holes. I jut returned it and bought a tower. I sure don't miss the i/o but it was fun to power turn... especially when passengers didn't expect it.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
Aaron,

Power Turns are exactly as hyperlitenard described. When a rider falls and the boat driver guns it and makes a hard turn to pick up the rider, it does several things. First, it creates a huge roller that is now traversing directly down the path you were pulling for both you and other to contend with once you get going. Second, that same wake you now have to carefully navigate through or you can easily dunk the bow of the boat in, soaking the interior. Third, it is just harder on your engine and transmition than it needs to be. Fourth, It can actually be more of a safety hazzard to your rider if there is someone following closely behind you.

The "proper" etiquette is to pull back, slow to idle, turn around and pick up the rider. It may take 15 more seconds, but creates much more pleasant water conditions, especially when you are competing for smooth water.

I hear drivers all the time say "I need to get back to my rider ASAP so no one hits them". I agree that there are times that a power turn for rider protection may be warranted, but consider this perspective- If we are in a narrow channel and I am a weekend wally following a boat too closely, not paying attention to the rider, and I see the boat ahead power turn to the right, I naturally am going to head for the most open path, which is now where your rider has fallen, and your boat is no longer, but a few brewskies later "uhhh, there was a wakeboarder?". The yahoo's attention behind you is probably going to be on your boat to avoid a collision, not the fallen rider. If you drop to idle in line with your rider before the turn, the following boat is more likely to change course. I have even at times come to a complete stop and let the other boat pass before returning to pick up the rider.