Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (jlatham13)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm looking at some entry-level wake boats, and found comparably priced (low $40's) Moomba LSV's and Malibu V-Rides. Any thoughts on the differences and/or preferences? Is one a dog?

Thanks
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-14-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Jake,

These may be of help to you. I had the same entry-level question as you.

First and foremost. The weather is nice, TRY THEM BOTH OUT. See which one you like better!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/532200.html?1200028832

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/538719.html?1202254910
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-14-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Don't know crap about the Mobius but the V-ride is based off a already proven Hull (VLX) and it has a nice rampy wake.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
They are both great boats. It is a personal choice. You must test them both. But if I would have to pick, then I would pick the V-ride. What options do you have with the V-ride?
Old     (jlatham13)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Options on the V-Ride are:

Engine: Malibu 320 LCR - 320 hp, EFI-MPI

Three Outlet Heater
Power Wedge
Depth Finder
Fiberglass Swim Platform
Malibu Illusion X tower
Extreme Trailer
Spare tire

And I think I said something about the Moomba being the LSV - but it's actually the Outback V (sorry, I've been looking at to many boats lately).

TJ - that write-up in your previous post was awesome. Thanks!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-14-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Like most boats, it will probably need some work done eventually...which dealers are closer to you. Which have a good reputation?
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Jake

I just went through this in Feb. I have a post somewhere out here on it.....But here is my 2 cents. I was narrowed town to the Outback V and V-Ride (Based on price point). IMO the V-ride is a nicer boat all around and has a proven wake, but, the deal I got on my Outback V almost 10K less was the deal closer for me. The outback V has a good wake. No its not SAN or X1, but im not Bonifay or Beverly nor do I ever plan to be a pro. Im out there for the fun. That being said 10K less and being financially comfortable (meaning not takeing out a huge loan and non of these 15 year loans) was the deal closer for me.

Pics in this link

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/545090.html?1203329003

(Message edited by jay_g on May 14, 2008)
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
I picked up a left-over new 2007 Outback V last month, and so far I love it. I looked at the V-Ride hard as well, but being my first boat, I just couldn't justify the price difference, which was about $10k (both new).

Me and most of my friends are beginner/intermediate wakeboarders, and the difference in wake probably won't be noticed for a couple of years, at which point I will probably go for a bigger boat.

You can get the monster racks much cheaper aftermarket than from Moomba or the dealer. One thing I have noticed is the wake is pretty sensitive to passenger placement, but as long as your crew is paying attention while riding, it's not a big deal.

Good luck, you will be happy with either one. I wanted the Malibu, but for the price the Moomba is the way to go!

Aaron

PS this board was a great help in my purchasing decision. Thanks WW for all of the great info!
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-14-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
You can get a Moomba LSV for less than the V-Ride, it's bigger than the Outback V and better equipped than the V-Ride. I too was looking at the VRide and LSV, I ended up with the LSV, more boat for the money and equal quality. Plus the Moomba dealer here seems to be a bit better than the Malibu dealer. Go test drive them both, and find out who is the better dealer from other locals.
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
if money is not 2 much of a major factor V-RIDE!! youll be much happier in the end im not going to get into any arguments thats just all I have to say.. fit finish and BETTER quality ive seen both uup close
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-15-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
I wish the moomba dealer around me was worth a crap. Lack of communication, lack of honesty, promises not kept, and jacking around on price on a particular boat not to mention a complete insult on my trade in made me drive 150 miles away to get to my closest mooba dealer that wasnt looking to mess with me

/rant
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-15-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
My dealer was the deal-breaker for me. Gave me a good deal trading in, worked with me on the price and I was sold on the Malibu name, resale and quality. I felt very comfortable with how the deal went down - I went with the vRide and love it.

If you feel the boats are the same, see what the deal is, make sure you feel very comforable with the dealer in your area - dealer quality is huge IMO.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
i do agree with the dealer stuff, but i hate how everybody tries to bash the quality of moombas. i have read a lot of posts on here and talked to a lot of people and i honestly have never heard anyone say they regret buying their moomba. i know i don't, and this "entry level boat" will more than likely keep me with skier's choice in the future, whether its moomba or supra.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-15-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
I went with the Moomba LSV as well and don't regret it one bit. It's a great deal for what you get for your money. The Malibu, while a great boat as well was way overpriced imo and more than i wanted to pay. The Moomba dealer i went with is great and the service is fantastic.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Most people that put down Moomba hasnt been around one. I love mine and will get another when/if i upgrade to the newer LSV hull. Moomba is now being compared with all the others, must be a reason why.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
I own a Moomba LSV and have two friends with V-Rides. It's sad to say but I personally like the wake, and fit and finish on the V-Ride a little more. Maybe I don't have mine weighted properly, and I'm only an average rider with limited abilities. Don't get me wrong I love my boat, and got a great deal on it. I'm just giving my honest opinion.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Considering the current economic conditions, I would also consider looking at some 2-3 year old boats as well that fall in that price range. You might get more bang for your buck. Although fall is always the best time to buy.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Tru what PhatboyPimp says! I have 06 Moomba LSV and love it. I bought it 14 months old and saved about $10 off STicker/taxes. Look on Onlyinboards.com and ebay... there are options.
I talked to Malibu dealer when I got mine about a VRide... seemed like VRide would have had less options for comparable money.. BUT, Malibu is a great boat. You gotta decide based on needs, budget, dealer relationship, ride/wake...
Get what you want the first time, its cheaper than buying another a year later.. decide what options you really want and make sure you get them... ballast, perf pass, wedge/wakeplate, stereo/tower speakers/etc. Believe it or not, even though it is prime time for boating season, most boats for sale now are for 1 of 2 reasons, and both are in a hurry.. they either want a new one and are ready to buy (and sell) or they have realized that for whatever reason, they are not going to use much this summer... Be willing to drive 8-12 hours to find what you want... I bought first inboard 8 hrs away and 2nd 7hrs away, but met halfway.. Don't let dealer financing on new one guide you into buying as well. There are several options on the internet as well as your local bank..
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-15-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Jake,

I gotta tell you also as a Malibu owner....test drive a Tige too. I felt like they were really neat boats. Unfortunately they didn't make one that would fit my lake restrictions...

But i think the boats are pretty nice fit and finish, and they are deep as hell...gotta love that.

stay away from the Mastercrafts, i hear they breakdown a lot.

just kidding....haha, got some fools eye popping on that...