Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    rebel            12-09-2002, 6:47 PM Reply   
I am thinking about buying a 01 MC x-star or x-10, does anyone know the difference between an 01
vs. an 02 ?
Anyone who owns either model, any likes vs. dislikes? any problems.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-09-2002, 7:21 PM Reply   
'01 - Plastic laminate dash & console panels, Zero Flex tower w/out built-in board racks and tower lights, grease fittings on trailer hubs, centrifugal pumps and vinyl ballast bags with covers, Perfect Pass optional.

'02 - Brushed aluminum dash & console panels, Zero Flex tower WITH built-in board racks and tower lights, oil bath bushings on trailer hubs, impeller pumps and composite material coverless ballast bags, Perfect Pass standard on X-star.

There were some problems with the '02 impeller pumps, but these were fixed on recall. This can be fixed under warranty on your boat if it wasn't already. If the price is close, go with the '02 for Perfect Pass & board racks...the rest is pretty much window dressing.

Consider paying the $450.00 to transfer the remaining warranty on the engine & hull.
Old    hlboatsnboards            12-10-2002, 5:39 AM Reply   
How much is the asking price on either of those boats? just curiosity it all! hehe!

Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2002, 7:26 AM Reply   
One other big differance is that the '01 has cabel steering and the '02 has rack and pinion steering. My buddy has an '01 and it is much harder to turn against the prop than my '02. Both are great boats you can't go wrong with either one.
Old     (grwoolf)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2002, 7:55 PM Reply   
On x-star, another difference is with graphics and gel coat. On the standard color hull (not reverse), the color gel coat goes much lower on the hull for 02. Not really good or bad, just different. Also, they updated the graphics in 02. The swim platform also grew for 02 and the stock speakers have seperate drivers and tweeter vs. 2-way.
Old    rebel            12-11-2002, 4:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info!
I've ridden behind the x-star with the
tanks full, but didn't get to ride the x-10
is the wake much wider? I'm sure it is but
does it really make any difference? Can you
upgrade the size of the rear bags for more
weight.
Old    aircanada            12-11-2002, 8:32 PM Reply   
rebel,

I can't say much about the differences between the 01/02 years, I only looked at the 02 models. It sounds like B T Lowe summed up the differences pretty good. I chose the X-10 and am super happy with it. I bought the X-10 over the X-Star mostly because of the additional size inside. I know I would have been happy with either.

The wake is a little wider than an X-Star however I can't really compare the two as I have only ridden behind an X-Star without any ballast.

As for upgrading the size of the rear ballast, you can't upgrade it but you can add additional weight in the storage compartments beside the engine.

Your profile doesn't state where you live. If you are in or around the SF Bay area, let me know. I'd be happy to take you for a pull behind the X-10.
Old    wake_smuggler            12-17-2002, 9:51 AM Reply   
The wake difference between the X-star and X-10 is immeasurable. The wake on the star is narrower and comes to more of a peak. thus greater height off the wake. the 10 makes a wider rampy wake that sends you more in a 45 degree trajectory. the star is better for boarding, but the 10 is much better for entertaining. The question becomes which is more important. do you intend to ski, and how many people do you take with you?
Old    wakeboardnaked            12-22-2002, 9:00 PM Reply   
ask what kind of cracks that can happen in gel coat and boat