Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2008, 11:39 PM Reply   
Anyone familiar with this lake? My friends dad is building a house up there and we want to check out the scene. Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       07-02-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
Windy, Windy, Windy. They have warning lights on one of the hills, it flashes like a traffic light to warn boaters of wind conditions. When it flashes yellow, get off the lake as fast as you can because red is coming soon! Gets crowded in the summer, and driving up the canyon towing a boat is really tough. The first 4-5 miles is narrow, canyon wall/cliff driving.
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-02-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I have to second wikedwakes wind comment. Been there a couple times, had friends that grew up there, and all I remember was how windy it was....pretty much all day. Don't remember seeing many boats, didn't even bother taking mine, just alot of PWCs & kite boarders. The lake was pretty low the last time I went but that was years ago.

The drive up/down that canyon is pretty crazy.

on a good note, there is a pizza place in town that is probably one of the best I've had and a bar that claims the "worlds coldest" beer. Beer is damn cold. Good luck.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Its really that bad. Not to mention there are trees and branches all over the place that you wont see (your prop will though). The drive is terrible.
It does make for a good ride if you have a bike. We take that route probably once a month or so
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-02-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I 4th the comments. Did one 3 day up there, almost swamped the boat taking a pleasure cruise with swells coming over the bow. Woke up every morning at sunrise to see whitecaps on the lake. the place is like a wind tunnel

There is one cove on the left side when you are facing the damn, about halfway on the length of the lake. Paradise Cove maybe?? We were leaving and caught about an hour of good water there.

You may get lucky here and there, but do not ever take your boat to the middle of the lake, stick near shore.

We have not gone back, which is a shame, pretty lake. I know they were having problems with the damn and had to drain the lake a bit. That may have changed recently though.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
I 5th that comment.....In laws live about 10mins away and always dread going there, every time.....
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Lived in Bakersfield 20+ years ago and it was super windy then. At least they installed the light to warn you.

I will second that road. Very narrow.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-07-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
You must go to Lake Isabella during weekdays. It is way too crowded on weekends which produces heavy boat wake. On most days in the summer, it is great until 11 to noon. Then the wind comes up and it gets blown out very quickly. When I've gone there, most of the time I have had 3-4 hours of great water in the morning.