Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2004, 6:45 AM Reply   
Finally completed, and tested my ballast system.
To start with I used a 1.5” through the hull scoop. From that I put in a ball valve to be shut of in case of problems. ( I know the engine doesn’t have one, but I thought it might be needed. ) I used 1.5” pipe to a Tee that necks down to a threaded ¾” Nipple. From this I have a ¾” I.D. hose run to (2) two Jabsco Ballast Puppy Pumps 18220-1123.( These pumps have run dry protection, and ignition protection, and come with a switch ) One Pump supply’s My rear sac ( 900 lbs. ) The other pump supply’s The (2) two side sacs( 250 lbs each) and a front sac ( 550 lbs). From the pumps I used ¾” flexible PVC, it doesn’t collapse when draining. ( purchased from Lowe’s @ $27.00 for 50’) The 90’s and Tee’s for this pipe have a ½” I.D. which is the same as the I.D. of the pumps.
My rear bag is enclosed in a compartment that I built, also serves as a sun deck. I added a overflow Flapper check valve, and a through the hull ( like the one used for the bilge)
I have a ¾” ball valve at each bag. I also have a PVC check valve inserted into the other hole in each bag. ( Just in case I forget to turn it off in time) to replace the blue waterbed fitting, I used a 1” nipple. I had to use a blowdryer to warm the bag inlet to get it to fit.
When not in use, the front bag is stored in the left front seat., and the side bags are stored in the side compartments.
The Jabsco pumps drain the sacs of water and air, so they are nice and flat, and can be folded up with out having to bleed air out of them.
The system works great. It takes just under 10 minutes to fill completely. It takes the same time to drain, when sitting. It takes about 11 minutes to drain when under way( on a plain ), due to the scoop, I am sure.
I will try to add pictures when I can. I wanted to post this so hopefully it will help anyone who needs ideas, as I did. I received a lot of valuable information on here to complete my system. Thanks
Old    yellowdog            06-03-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Do you drain the system back out the through hull scoop? If so, isn't this hard on the pump?
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
I do drain it back out the thru hull. I only did it once while on a plain to see how long it would take. I usually do sitting still or idleing, just before getting the boat loaded. It usually takes more than 10 minutes to get the trailer down the ramp( long lines )